Does Delphi support JPG pictures

Hello,
        I am trying to store and retrieve tens of thousands of pictures that
will be connected to a local database creating a mugshot file or employee
file.  Due to the large number of images being processed, I will need to use
picture compression such as .JPG to store the images.  Unfortunately Paradox
5.0 tables do not store graphic images in a compressed format (i.e. a 25K JPG
file expands to about 500K in the table) making this method too bulky. (I am
not sure how Delphi handles this.)  I could store the images as binary blob
objects and then take the binary file and drop it into an external jpg
converter, but I don't know how to do that in real life.  If I were to use an
external jpg viewer, I would need to control it through Paradox or Delphi to
make it seem like it was just a Paradox or Delphi function as opposed to an
external viewer.  Only I would not know which external viewer could do this.
Hence my quandry.

        Is there a Delphi tool or a VBX that can handle this kind of thing
without all of this rig-a-maroll.  Or does anything else come to mind.

        If you have any ideas on how to deal with this, I would trully
appreciate them.

Thanks,

Glen

Re:Does Delphi support JPG pictures

In article <49j2ib$...@news.scruz.net>, g...@cyrun.com (Glen Haimovitz) wrote:
>Hello,
>        I am trying to store and retrieve tens of thousands of pictures that
>will be connected to a local database creating a mugshot file or employee
>file.  Due to the large number of images being processed, I will need to use
>picture compression such as .JPG to store the images.  Unfortunately Paradox
>5.0 tables do not store graphic images in a compressed format (i.e. a 25K JPG
>file expands to about 500K in the table) making this method too bulky. (I am
>not sure how Delphi handles this.)  I could store the images as binary blob
>objects and then take the binary file and drop it into an external jpg
>converter, but I don't know how to do that in real life.  If I were to use an
>external jpg viewer, I would need to control it through Paradox or Delphi to
>make it seem like it was just a Paradox or Delphi function as opposed to an
>external viewer.  Only I would not know which external viewer could do this.
>Hence my quandry.

>    Is there a Delphi tool or a VBX that can handle this kind of thing
>without all of this rig-a-maroll.  Or does anything else come to mind.

>        If you have any ideas on how to deal with this, I would trully
>appreciate them.

>Thanks,

>Glen

Glen,

ImageLib 3.0 from SkyLine Tools has a set of components that will do what you
want.  They have a TDBImage component that allows you to store native JPG,
PNG, PCX, BMP, and GIF images in a Blob field in a database without having to
convert it to a BMP first and to retrieve and display those image formats from
the database.  They have a trial version on the Delphi Forum on CompuServe and
can be reached at 800 404 3932.  Their price is really reasonable too.

Kevin

Re:Does Delphi support JPG pictures

yes of course...

I use the IMLIB222 component (now theay released the 3.0 version). It
offer you everything you want. Store JPG PCX GIF BMP to Blob field and
retrieve it, display it, change resolution  of Jpeg and much more !!!!

You can find a copy of the component ad the DelphiStation WWW.

bye

Giovanni (Rome,Italy)

Other Threads