What is Apple's Object Pascal?

Just recently learned that Object Pascal was first developed by Apple
and/or Taligent way before Delphi came out. I never heard Borland
mentioning anything about this. Is this Borland taking credit where it
isn't due? I read that Borland's OP is very different from Apples - but
still what's up with this?

What about trademarks - I'd imagine that if Object Pascal was a trademark
of Apple they'd sue Borland right away. Or is it the space between the
words that makes the difference?

Does anyone have any experience with Apple's Object Pascal? How similar
is it Bolrand's variation?

I also understand that Niklaus Wirht was involved in developing Apple's
OP - I wonder what he thinks of Borland's version?

I couldn't find too much information on the Internet re Apple's OP (I
guess it wasn't very popular) - but I'd like someone who knows to set the
facts straight, Please post - I want to know more about this.

Thanks!

Gregory Trubetskoy
http://www.mira.com/home/grisha

Re:What is Apple's Object Pascal?

In article <31BF0E6E.5...@mira.com> Gregory Trubetskoy <gri...@mira.com> writes:
>From: Gregory Trubetskoy <gri...@mira.com>
>Subject: What is Apple's Object Pascal?
>Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:37:34 -0700
>Just recently learned that Object Pascal was first developed by Apple
>and/or Taligent way before Delphi came out. I never heard Borland
>mentioning anything about this. Is this Borland taking credit where it
>isn't due? I read that Borland's OP is very different from Apples - but
>still what's up with this?

In the first OO turbopascal - Turbo 5.5 - Borland had quite a long discussion
on ObjectPascal & where it came from - there were also influences from C++ and
from Modula 2 or 3 , can't recall.

Besides I can't recall seeing anywhere that Borland claim to have invented
Objectpascal

>What about trademarks - I'd imagine that if Object Pascal was a trademark>of

Apple they'd sue Borland right away. Or is it the space between the>words that
makes the difference?

Who sues who about C++ ? - ObjectPascal is part of the english language now -
you can't trademark that !

snip

boris
]Boris Ingram, Cyborg Software
boris...@iafrica.com
100076.3...@compuserve.com
http://www.pcb.co.za/users/borising/cyborg.htm

Re:What is Apple's Object Pascal?

Last time I checked, you couldn't trademark or copyright a programming
language.

If that has changed, please enlighten me :-)

Fernando

Gregory Trubetskoy <gri...@mira.com> wrote:
>Just recently learned that Object Pascal was first developed by Apple
>and/or Taligent way before Delphi came out. I never heard Borland
>mentioning anything about this. Is this Borland taking credit where it
>isn't due? I read that Borland's OP is very different from Apples - but
>still what's up with this?
>What about trademarks - I'd imagine that if Object Pascal was a trademark
>of Apple they'd sue Borland right away. Or is it the space between the
>words that makes the difference?
>Does anyone have any experience with Apple's Object Pascal? How similar
>is it Bolrand's variation?
>I also understand that Niklaus Wirht was involved in developing Apple's
>OP - I wonder what he thinks of Borland's version?
>I couldn't find too much information on the Internet re Apple's OP (I
>guess it wasn't very popular) - but I'd like someone who knows to set the
>facts straight, Please post - I want to know more about this.
>Thanks!
>Gregory Trubetskoy
>http://www.mira.com/home/grisha

Re:What is Apple's Object Pascal?

Gregory Trubetskoy <gri...@mira.com> wrote:
>Just recently learned that Object Pascal was first developed by Apple
>and/or Taligent way before Delphi came out. I never heard Borland
>mentioning anything about this. Is this Borland taking credit where it
>isn't due? I read that Borland's OP is very different from Apples - but
>still what's up with this?
>What about trademarks - I'd imagine that if Object Pascal was a trademark
>of Apple they'd sue Borland right away. Or is it the space between the
>words that makes the difference?
>Does anyone have any experience with Apple's Object Pascal? How similar
>is it Bolrand's variation?
>I also understand that Niklaus Wirht was involved in developing Apple's
>OP - I wonder what he thinks of Borland's version?
>I couldn't find too much information on the Internet re Apple's OP (I
>guess it wasn't very popular) - but I'd like someone who knows to set the
>facts straight, Please post - I want to know more about this.
>Thanks!
>Gregory Trubetskoy
>http://www.mira.com/home/grisha

I believe the first few MacOS were written using pascal.  Therefore it
would have been quite natural to develop apps for MacOS using pascal
as all the APIs would be easily accessible.  I do not know what
relationship if any OP for Mac's has to Borlands OP.

Rgds

Other Threads