Interbase over the Internet

Can anyone explain all of the steps required to access an Interbase database over the internet.  We have a firewall setup and the Interbase server is on another machine behind the firewall.  We opened port 3050.  Is this enough?  We could also use some help with what is required on the Client side.  Our clients are using BDE.

Re:Interbase over the Internet

"Keith Byers" <kby...@tdci.com> wrote in message news:3b676c77$2_2@dnews...

> Can anyone explain all of the steps required to access an Interbase

database over the internet.  We have a firewall setup and the Interbase
server is on another machine behind the firewall.  We opened port 3050.  Is
this enough?  We could also use some help with what is required on the
Client side.  Our clients are using BDE.

Opening port 3050 is correct. On the client side you need to install
Interbase Client. Set the BDE connect string in TCP format:

  servername:d:\somepath\some.gdb

--
Wayne Niddery (Logic Fundamentals, Inc.)
RADBooks: http://www.logicfundamentals.com/RADBooks/delphibooks.html

Re:Interbase over the Internet

BDE thru Internet... Hum...

How big is your band width on both sides (client and server) ?

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software

Re:Interbase over the Internet

In article <3b676c77$2_2@dnews>, kby...@tdci.com wrote...

> Can anyone explain all of the steps required to access an
> Interbase database over the internet.  We have a firewall
> setup and the Interbase server is on another machine
> behind the firewall.  We opened port 3050.  Is this enough?

Yes.

> We could also use some help with what is required on the Client side.

You will just need to install the Interbase client libraries, and
connect using...

www.domain.com:/usr/local/database.gdb

>Our clients are using BDE.

Oh dear, hope you have plenty of bandwidth!  For dial-up connections to
the internet, I have found that even some of the 'native' components are
too 'chatty', and have implemented some middleware to lighten the load.

Cheers

Phil

Re:Interbase over the Internet

You may find performance to be very poor, and ability to maintain the
connection flaky. Also bear in mind that all the data packets are in plain
text so your security is very poor. Native Interbase is rather 'chatty'
which chews bandwidth.

Another option would be a middleware to glue the connection together, Asta
is well worth a look at www.astatech.com which also allows strong encryption
/ compression of data packets, and less chatty connection -> greatly
improved performance and security. Unless you use lots of BDE specific
functions an upgrade is not difficult (ie you can leave business code on the
clients rather than move it all to the mid tier).  With Asta you can use any
port of your choosing, and has an option to run over native http through an
existing web proxy / hole in the firewall.

I believe there are other options such as dbovernet, though havn't tried
them

Richard.

"Sergio Samayoa" <serg...@terra.com.gt> wrote:
>BDE thru Internet... Hum...

>How big is your band width on both sides (client and server) ?

>--
>Sergio Samayoa
>Lgica Software
>http://www.geocities.com/logicasw/

Right now we are running the application over RAS (slow but acceptable to our clients).  We are moving toward a DSL line through the internet to improve speed!

Other Threads