network file access?

With BP 7.0 and Turbo Vision, how do I access a file on the network?
I am using the standard PFileDialog box to select a filename.
If I enter a local drive letter in the text input line, it works.
If I enter a non-existant drive letter, I get an error message.
But if I enter a drive letter which is on the network (I can do a DIR
from a DOS prompt on this drive) *nothing* happens.  No lockup,
just ignores it.

What do I need to include to get network file access?

And why does the IDE read network files, but my compiled program won't?

Thanks for any assistance.

Re:network file access?

Sounds Like Networking hasn't been properly installed under Windows, or
that your Network OS doesn't support windows.

Do other Apps (ie MS word) permit you to browse the network.

-Ed

Jerry Margeson wrote:

> With BP 7.0 and Turbo Vision, how do I access a file on the network?
> I am using the standard PFileDialog box to select a filename.
> If I enter a local drive letter in the text input line, it works.
> If I enter a non-existant drive letter, I get an error message.
> But if I enter a drive letter which is on the network (I can do a DIR
> from a DOS prompt on this drive) *nothing* happens.  No lockup,
> just ignores it.

> What do I need to include to get network file access?

> And why does the IDE read network files, but my compiled program won't?

> Thanks for any assistance.

Re:network file access?

I have the same problem at home except that BP won't read files from a
network drive  - I am just running the Windows 95 network - but at school
with Novell it works.

Christian Datzko

Ed Derzawiec schrieb:

> Sounds Like Networking hasn't been properly installed under Windows, or
> that your Network OS doesn't support windows.

> Do other Apps (ie MS word) permit you to browse the network.

> -Ed

> Jerry Margeson wrote:

> > With BP 7.0 and Turbo Vision, how do I access a file on the network?
> > I am using the standard PFileDialog box to select a filename.
> > If I enter a local drive letter in the text input line, it works.
> > If I enter a non-existant drive letter, I get an error message.
> > But if I enter a drive letter which is on the network (I can do a DIR
> > from a DOS prompt on this drive) *nothing* happens.  No lockup,
> > just ignores it.

> > What do I need to include to get network file access?

> > And why does the IDE read network files, but my compiled program won't?

> > Thanks for any assistance.

Other Threads