'stripping'/'Compressing' EXEs

Is it possible to do a UNIX-like stripping of Delphi compiled EXEs?

What I mean, for UNIX illiterates, is to reduce the size of the EXE by
getting rid of redundant, unnecessary code/data.

I read an article a couple of years ago where a Windows programmer was able
to reduce a ~200KB C/C++ app to about 20KB by eliminating certain header
files and libraries.

Thanks ...

--
Rui M. Pereira          '95 Suzuki GS500E
r...@io.org, r...@microforum.com

Re:'stripping'/'Compressing' EXEs

In article <01bb83e8$0b1fb7e0$55075...@Internex.io.org>, r...@io.org says...
.>
.>Is it possible to do a UNIX-like stripping of Delphi compiled EXEs?
.>
.>What I mean, for UNIX illiterates, is to reduce the size of the EXE by
.>getting rid of redundant, unnecessary code/data.
.>
.>I read an article a couple of years ago where a Windows programmer was able
.>to reduce a ~200KB C/C++ app to about 20KB by eliminating certain header
.>files and libraries.
.>
.>Thanks ...
.>
.>--
.>Rui M. Pereira          '95 Suzuki GS500E
.>r...@io.org, r...@microforum.com
.>http://www.io.org/~rui/

There is a program in the delphi 2 bin directory called W8loss.Exe and
W8Loss.DLL that removes debug info and maybe some redundant code (I don't know
about the redundant code part).  I don't know if D1 has this program.

Hope it helps -

Chris <csu...@acxiom.com>

Rui M. Pereira wrote:

> Is it possible to do a UNIX-like stripping of Delphi compiled EXEs?

> What I mean, for UNIX illiterates, is to reduce the size of the EXE by
> getting rid of redundant, unnecessary code/data.

> I read an article a couple of years ago where a Windows programmer was able
> to reduce a ~200KB C/C++ app to about 20KB by eliminating certain header
> files and libraries.

> Thanks ...

> --
> Rui M. Pereira          '95 Suzuki GS500E
> r...@io.org, r...@microforum.com
> http://www.io.org/~rui/

There are three ways -

1) Use W8LOSS (Delphi 1 only)
2) Remove all forms and write code in the project unit
3) Write the application as a console app.

BTW: Doesn't it suggest something that UNIX exes have unnecessary code
and data ;-)

Other Threads