BP7 Dos Application running on NT

We have a BP7 Dos application that works fine under Dos and Windows95 that
uses self written screen painter, serial comms routines and graphics(BGI).
When we launch our application under NT, starting up the apllication,
screen swapping and graphics take up a lot of time and serial communication
doesn't work properly.
Who has experience wit BP7 Dos applications running under NT and can
suggest
me a screen painter, serial communications library and a graphics library?

Thanks,
Peter

Re:BP7 Dos Application running on NT

In comp.lang.pascal.borland, Peter Rombaut wrote:

>We have a BP7 Dos application that works fine under Dos and Windows95 that
>uses self written screen painter, serial comms routines and graphics(BGI).
>When we launch our application under NT, starting up the apllication,
>screen swapping and graphics take up a lot of time and serial communication
>doesn't work properly.
>Who has experience wit BP7 Dos applications running under NT and can
>suggest
>me a screen painter, serial communications library and a graphics library?

I think the problem is not your libraries, but the fact that NT protects the
hardware by preventing access to it. Certain well known hardware addresses such
as comms and graphics are trapped by NT and emulated which is why it is slower.

I think you should start planning migration of your code to Windows API. You are
lucky in that you can port straight to 32 bit Delphi, without having to migrate
several times through BPW, Object Windows, Delphi 1. I went to D2/NT as soon as
possible, but then I don't have any "real" code to support. Future versions of
Windows will be more like NT than 95.

I know this is a really unwelcome answer, but if you port to NT you may have a
version that lasts another 10 years, plus we're all here to help.

Regards,
--
Bob Cousins, Software Engineer.
Home page at http://www.demon.co.uk/sirius-{*word*104}netics/