   MessageDlg('There is already a record with a date of ' +
wwtblHvalueDate.AsString + '.' + #13 +
              'Choose another date or cancel this operation and Edit' +
#13 +
              'the existing date.' , mtWarning, [mbOk], 0);
   Action := daAbort;

E.Message is a standard var in the Handler.  'Key violation' is the
actual text passed to the std Delphi exception window.  Action=daAbort
makes the exception silent (so you don't see your own MessageDlg PLUS
the Delphi exception).  You won't win any programming awards using this
method, but it fits the bill when you only have the urge
to generate a few of your own exceptions...

Regards,

DWK