IDE FileOpen default sort sequence

When I first installed D5, the sort sequence for files/folders in the
FileOpen (F3) dialog box was ascending. Now, the sequence is descending.  I
know I can achieve the desired result with a  right click, then click
details, and then click the name column, but that's kind of a pain.  I'd
really like to see just a list of file names, sorted in ascending alpha
sequence. How can this be accomplished.

TIA

Re:IDE FileOpen default sort sequence

Im Artikel <ugvf2ohdkku...@corp.supernews.com>, "Bob Richardson"
<b...@pleasenospam.whidbey.com> schreibt:

>When I first installed D5, the sort sequence for files/folders in the
>FileOpen (F3) dialog box was ascending. Now, the sequence is descending.

The FileOpen dialog is a shared Windows component. When you e.g. change the
sort order in the Windows Explorer, these settings might be reflected in the
open dialog, too. I don't know whether it works the way back, too, and which
programs besides the Explorer will change these permanent settings.

DoDi

"VBDis" <vb...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Im Artikel <ugvf2ohdkku...@corp.supernews.com>, "Bob Richardson"
> <b...@pleasenospam.whidbey.com> schreibt:

> >When I first installed D5, the sort sequence for files/folders in the
> >FileOpen (F3) dialog box was ascending. Now, the sequence is descending.

> The FileOpen dialog is a shared Windows component. When you e.g. change
the
> sort order in the Windows Explorer, these settings might be reflected in
the
> open dialog, too. I don't know whether it works the way back, too, and
which
> programs besides the Explorer will change these permanent settings.

I tried all of the following, and nothing worked. The technique below seemed
to correct the default sequence when using MS Explorer =directly=, but not
when it is used indirectly, via Delphi 5.

To get "Open File" dialog's file list in ascending sequence, assuming it's
not now:
1. Close all visible Windows (programs).

2. Invoke Windows explorer.

3. In the left frame, highlight (click) "C:\".

4. In the right frame, click on the "Name" rectangle above the file/folder
names until they're in ascending (folders; then files) sequence.

5. While holding down the Ctrl key, click on the window's upper right "X"
(close).  Note:  That Ctrl key is the key to the whole thing!

6. Start, Shut Down, Restart.

I then had Paradox8's open dialog box using the ascending sequence for
file/subfolder names, as desired.

Word Perfect 8 still had them in descending order; however I used the view,
etc. workaround within the dialog to get them in ascending order, then,
while holding down the Ctrl key, x'd out of the open dialog box, rebooted on
the spot with a couple of Ctrl_Alt_Deletes, and thereafter all was well.

This was from Winmag.com's Windows98 forum (searched on "dialog").

Another guy's solution, which I did not try, was to tweak the registry:

1. Invoke C:\Windows\Regedit.exe.

2. Follow the tree of names to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer.

3. If nec, edit the "ShellState" value to be:

1C 00 00 00 A7 02 [14 "00"'s] 01 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00

Other Threads