Developing chat program on single computer???

Is it possible to use/test the clientsocket/serversocket components on a
single computer?
It would be nice to run two instances of a chat program on the same
computer and try the
communication between them instead of running between two different
computers.

Would that be possible or is there something fundamental in the socket
stuff that would
prevent that?

Re:Developing chat program on single computer???

connect them to 127.0.0.1 and it should work, 127.0.0.1 points to the local
machine

HTH
  Roel

Svante Granqvist <svante.granqv...@altavista.net> wrote:
> Is it possible to use/test the clientsocket/serversocket components on a
> single computer?
> It would be nice to run two instances of a chat program on the same
> computer and try the
> communication between them instead of running between two different
> computers.
> Would that be possible or is there something fundamental in the socket
> stuff that would
> prevent that?

Re:Developing chat program on single computer???

Thank you very much, exactly what I wanted! Worked fine!

Roel Spapens wrote:
> connect them to 127.0.0.1 and it should work, 127.0.0.1 points to the local
> machine

> HTH
>   Roel

> Svante Granqvist <svante.granqv...@altavista.net> wrote:
> > Is it possible to use/test the clientsocket/serversocket components on a
> > single computer?
> > It would be nice to run two instances of a chat program on the same
> > computer and try the
> > communication between them instead of running between two different
> > computers.

> > Would that be possible or is there something fundamental in the socket
> > stuff that would
> > prevent that?

Other Threads