Registering? Do u really want it?

Yep! There are a lots of 'em! Take a look at the Torry's Delphi Pages,
Security Section. There you will find ~5 or 6 of those components.

But I want also warn you that applications using those shareware protection
are usually weak. I mean they are easy crackable. What is concerning about
me, I have already cracked about 50  such applications. Sometimes it was
quite easy to crack it. Dontcha wanna make it freeware?  :-))

Greetz,

Jevgenij Gorbunov - gorbu...@med.muni.cz
Czech Republic, Brno. ICQ: 11471114.
Medicine, computers, translations, ...
Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial/junk/spam e-mail
will be MAILBOMBED. So think before you act...

Rune Petersen D??? ???Y?? <6kruib$ci...@dalen.get2net.dk> ...

>Hey!

>Is there a smart way to protect your shareware? Some component you can
>implement in your application to make a trial period? Or do I have figure
>something out myself?

>Thanks in advance!

>Rune Petersen

Re:Registering? Do u really want it?

Jevgenij Gorbunov wrote:

> Yep! There are a lots of 'em! Take a look at the Torry's Delphi Pages,
> Security Section. There you will find ~5 or 6 of those components.

> But I want also warn you that applications using those shareware protection
> are usually weak. I mean they are easy crackable. What is concerning about
> me, I have already cracked about 50  such applications. Sometimes it was
> quite easy to crack it. Dontcha wanna make it freeware?
> >Is there a smart way to protect your shareware? Some component you can
> >implement in your application to make a trial period? Or do I have figure
> >something out myself?

I've made thousands of dollars off software with the simplest protection
schemes in the world.  I don't stop and worry about the people who want
to take the time to crack it; they're not customers anyway.  What the
time lock does do, is to provide the nudge that starts the wheels of
honesty rolling along.

When registrations don't "come pouring in" as shareware authors expect,
they automatically assume it's because their baby is being pirated.  But
no, it's probably either because people don't know it exists (probably),
or no one has bothered to download it, or no one decided to keep it.
Consumers are fickle that way.  (Aren't you?)

The time spent cooking up an elaborate protection system is, like the
corresponding time spent cracking it, time that could better be spent on
the product itself.

Re:Registering? Do u really want it?

>I've made thousands of dollars off software with the simplest protection
>schemes in the world.  I don't stop and worry about the people who want
>to take the time to crack it; they're not customers anyway.  What the
>time lock does do, is to provide the nudge that starts the wheels of
>honesty rolling along.

Agree - you can sell your product anyway. But it all depends on WHO will
need you program. If it is going to be such hit like ACDSee - be sure that
crackerz will harm you and your sell will go down because of them. And it
all depends on how many people will be able to find crack patch.

>When registrations don't "come pouring in" as shareware authors expect,
>they automatically assume it's because their baby is being pirated.  But
>no, it's probably either because people don't know it exists (probably),
>or no one has bothered to download it, or no one decided to keep it.
>Consumers are fickle that way.  (Aren't you?)

Yes, you are 98% right  :-)

>The time spent cooking up an elaborate protection system is, like the
>corresponding time spent cracking it, time that could better be spent on
>the product itself.

Agree. And do you know why do I agree? Because it does not depend how secure
your application will be - if questioned, it WILL be cracked anyway.

Regards,

Jevgenij Gorbunov wrote:
> Agree - you can sell your product anyway. But it all depends on WHO will
> need you program. If it is going to be such hit like ACDSee - be sure that
> crackerz will harm you and your sell will go down because of them. And it
> all depends on how many people will be able to find crack patch.
> Yes, you are 98% right  :-)
> Agree. And do you know why do I agree? Because it does not depend how secure
> your application will be - if questioned, it WILL be cracked anyway.

Precisely.  And it has.  But for the nominal price that we ask, the
people who actually need it will get more than their money's worth for
it the first time they use it.  There will always be some people who
walk out of the finest restauraunts without paying.  But most people who
are satisfied with their purchase will consider that paying for it to be
the only reasonable thing to do.  "It is how the world works."

I'm interested in building the finest program that I possibly can, for
_these people.  From Kiev to Sydney to Cape Town to Hong Kong....
Literally!

Re:Registering? Do u really want it?

>Precisely.  And it has.  But for the nominal price that we ask, the
>people who actually need it will get more than their money's worth for
>it the first time they use it.  There will always be some people who
>walk out of the finest restauraunts without paying.  But most people who
>are satisfied with their purchase will consider that paying for it to be
>the only reasonable thing to do.  "It is how the world works."

Of course, I forgot the price. I hate when something costs $10000.

>I'm interested in building the finest program that I possibly can, for
>_these people.  From Kiev to Sydney to Cape Town to Hong Kong....
>Literally!

Kiev? How did you guess I am from Kiev???  :-)

Peace,

Jevgenij Gorbunov

Other Threads