Retrieving default field values from MSSQL table via BDE

I need to retrieve the default value for a field in a table in a MSSQL database.

I have tried using the BDE's DbiGetVchkDesc function. In the resulting VCHKDesc structure I assemble a string from the aDefVal array. Instead of the actual value I get a string (eg DF__READER_READ_08246310). If I let MS Enterprise Manager generate a SQL script for the Database definition I see this string, and the accompanying default value.

This is all fine, however in my application I can't get to this default value.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Hedley