PLEASE HELP! damaged .dbt files

Please - can anyone help me?
I've been using dBase files since the beginning of time but just
recently have begun to have inexplicable problems with memo fields - ie
*.dbt files
These include:

*** read and write difficulties
*** the wrong memo field contents being associated with a record or with
one of several memo fields in a record

How od I stop this happening?

Can I retrieve the memo contents and re-link them to the correct record
and correct memo field?

C{*word*157}te

Re:PLEASE HELP! damaged .dbt files

Carl,
This has happened on a stand-alone system and on a network system.  In each
case, SHARE LOCAL is true!
Any other ideas?
C{*word*157}te
Carl Caulkett wrote:
> In article <38A5652E.F9A6E...@gamsu.sol.co.uk>, charlo...@gamsu.sol.co.uk
> says...
> > Please - can anyone help me?
> > I've been using dBase files since the beginning of time but just
> > recently have begun to have inexplicable problems with memo fields - ie
> > *.dbt files
> > These include:

> ---8<---

> Hi C{*word*157}te,

> Are these dBase files on a network and does your app access them via the
> BDE. If that's the case, I wonder if it is a LOCAL SHARE issue. Maybe a
> user started digging around in the BDE setup and changed LOCAL SHARE to
> false which would make your data more susceptable to corruption.

> --
> Carl

Re:PLEASE HELP! damaged .dbt files

John,
I can well believe my users are being heavy handed and or impatient at times!
:-)
"rebuilding table" will fix.... do you mean i just need to create an empty file
and then copy record by record across?  (Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping
you say its as simple as this)
C{*word*157}te

--
** Superior software quality and good documentation **
**    should eliminate the question.  Demand it!    **

Re:PLEASE HELP! damaged .dbt files

In article <38A60DF2.DBA33...@gamsu.sol.co.uk>, charlo...@gamsu.sol.co.uk
says...

> Carl,
> This has happened on a stand-alone system and on a network system.  In each
> case, SHARE LOCAL is true!
> Any other ideas?
> C{*word*157}te

Any recent software installations, in particular Corel Wordperfect -
version 8 (I think) did strange things to the BDE.

Did you know that the Borland newserver carries a few groups dedicated to
Visual dBase. They all start with borland.public.vdbase. Maybe someone
there may be able to help.

Also I've just done a newsgroup search on "memo dbt" and have found quite
a few postings relating memo corruptions.

Try this page to search deja.news ...

http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/deja.html

HTH,
Carl

Re:PLEASE HELP! damaged .dbt files

Ooops! I've been posting from within Netscape and had not set the options.
Thanks for pointing this out to me.

C{*word*157}te

In message <38B1F9EC.2C765...@gamsu.sol.co.uk>, Dr C{*word*157}te Gamsu stated:
> Ooops! I've been posting from within Netscape and had not set the options.

Thanks C{*word*157}te.

===
Regards
Ralph (TeamB)