Different Monitor sizes

I am using a 17 inch monitor for developing. Several users only have 14
inch monitors, a couple have 15 inch, and a few have 17 inch.  Is there
any way to develop a single app so that the screens 'look' the same (
stretch to fit so to speak) on any size monitor?  Right now the screens
have alot of unused space when viewed on a 17 inch monitor as opposed to
the 14 inch ones.  If there is any way of getting around this problem I
would appreciate some help.  Otherwise what do I do - wait until
everyone has a 17 inch monitor and re-do all the screens?? TIA

Re:Different Monitor sizes

No, that would be like going to the store and purchasing a program based on
the size monitor you have at home.

There are several ways to get aroung this using code, but a quick and
inexpensive way is to use something like ElasticForm from Q Systems
Engineering.

http://www.flash.net/~qsystems/

Their component is $25.00 and offers a great deal of control on how your
program appears. There are also a few free or shareware components
available at some of the usual sites (DelphiX, etc. ), but this one has
worked real well for me.

Re:Different Monitor sizes

Rhea,

You might also have a look at the "align" property as well as some of
the size constraint properties in Delphi4 to get round some simple
sizing problems.....

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:13:00 -0600, Rhea Urusky

<rh...@beaverplastics.com> wrote:
>I am using a 17 inch monitor for developing. Several users only have 14
>inch monitors, a couple have 15 inch, and a few have 17 inch.  Is there
>any way to develop a single app so that the screens 'look' the same (
>stretch to fit so to speak) on any size monitor?  Right now the screens
>have alot of unused space when viewed on a 17 inch monitor as opposed to
>the 14 inch ones.  If there is any way of getting around this problem I
>would appreciate some help.  Otherwise what do I do - wait until
>everyone has a 17 inch monitor and re-do all the screens?? TIA

--Donovan

Donovan J. Edye  [www.edye.wattle.id.au/hobbies/prog/delphi/]
Namadgi Systems, Delphi Developer
Web: www.namsys.com.au
E-Mail: dono...@namsys.com.au
TVisualBasic := Class(None);

Re:Different Monitor sizes

Rhea Urusky <rh...@beaverplastics.com> wrote in message

> I am using a 17 inch monitor for developing. Several users only have 14

Keep in mind that many folks purchase a large monitor so they can run at a
higher resolution (for instance 1280x1024 versus 640x480) and thus see more
on the screen at one time. If you resize your forms so they take up the same
percentage of the screen at different resolutions you are negating the
advantage the user gained by running at a higher res.

Where I work we design all forms to function on a system running at 800x600
(640x480 is just too limiting for what we do). We do NOT change the size of
forms on systems running at higher resolutions. We DO allow the user to
stretch a form if that particular form can benefit from being stretched. We
DO save the sizes of the each stretched form so the form is re-displayed at
the last size the user set it to.

For certain applications (such as games which often take over the whole
screen) it does make sense to size screen objects according to system
resolution.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt

Re:Different Monitor sizes

> I am using a 17 inch monitor for developing. Several users only have 14
> inch monitors, a couple have 15 inch, and a few have 17 inch.  Is there
> any way to develop a single app so that the screens 'look' the same (
> stretch to fit so to speak) on any size monitor?  Right now the screens

The size of the monitor makes no difference, you're speaking of the screen
resolution.  We require a minimum of 800 x 600 from our users - nowadays,
that's not too much too ask.  I've got mine set to either 1024 x 768 or 1280
x 1024 - most monitors these days will support at least 800 x 600.

--
David Reed
Diamond Software Group, Inc

Re:Different Monitor sizes

>>  We require a minimum of 800 x 600 from our users -
>> nowadays, that's not too much too ask.

I'd like to take umbrance with this statement.
It really depends on your users, and their equipment.

If you have 40-plus-year-old data entry people using your app on a
14-inch monitor then I can tell you there is almost no way they are all
going to be able to see 800x600 unless they are wearing strong bifocals.

My experience tells me a LOT of non-computer types do not like small
type on the screen. It gives them headaches, wears them out, and they
complain to their bosses about your program.

Unless you want to program your app in LARGE FONTS (I certainly don't)
then you'd better think twice about widely deploying high res on small
screens.

Been there, done that... it didn't work.

:-)

Re:Different Monitor sizes

Mike Packard <mpack...@mail.sandi.net> wrote in message

> I'd like to take umbrance with this statement.

Umbrance? What's that? Something like french fries?

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt

Re:Different Monitor sizes

> I'd like to take umbrance with this statement.

Say what? Funk & Wagnell's doesn't understand either..

> It really depends on your users, and their equipment.

You're correct:  to be my user, you should have a minimum system
configuration.

> If you have 40-plus-year-old data entry people using your app on a
> 14-inch monitor then I can tell you there is almost no way they are all
> going to be able to see 800x600 unless they are wearing strong bifocals.

Do they still sell 14" monitors?  If so, does anyone still buy them?
(Frankly, I'd spend the extra $15 and get the 17"..).  800 x 600 is not too
much to ask, believe me.  For the same reason that 32meg of memory is not
too much to ask, etc etc.  Are you recommending that I allow for say, 640 x
480 res? If so, I already do.. the screen just won't look as good.

> My experience tells me a LOT of non-computer types do not like small
> type on the screen.

So, 800 x 600 is small type?  I run 1280 x 1024 on a 17" monitor, no
problem.  Maybe you're thinking of the small type at the end of a contract.
And believe me, "non-computer types"

>It gives them headaches, wears them out, and they
> complain to their bosses about your program.

In *my* experience, users will *always* complain to their bosses about your
program, and sitting in front of *any* computer screen for an extended
period, whether small type or Solitaire, will give you a headache.

> Unless you want to program your app in LARGE FONTS (I certainly don't)
> then you'd better think twice about widely deploying high res on small
> screens.

If the user wants to run large fonts, she'll run large fonts.. my stuff
still works.  I don't deploy screens, I deploy software.  My software looks
and runs best at 800 x 600.  If you choose, for whatever reason, to run at a
lower res, fine.  Prepare to scroll.  My clients don't want me spending
their money writing code to support outdated hardware, much as they don't
want me wasting their time in other ways.
--
David Reed
Diamond Software Group, Inc

Re:Different Monitor sizes

>> not too much to ask, believe me.

I can see that you are a "small thinker". That's ok. It's best to start
out small.

When you get to the point, if you ever do, that you are selling to large
organizations, governments, or school systems and they have 2000 14-inch
monitors in use, you won't be able to say "spend the extra $15" because
they just won't have that extra $30,000 in the budget to spare.

They'll just buy my product instead, since I've designed my app for use
with 640x480 screens (looks great at 1200.768 too).

Enuf said.

Re:Different Monitor sizes

>> not too much to ask, believe me.

I can see that you are a "small thinker". That's ok. It's best to start
out small.

When you get to the point, if you ever do, that you are selling to large
organizations, governments, or school systems and they have 2000 14-inch
monitors in use, you won't be able to say "spend the extra $15" because
they just won't have that extra $30,000 in the budget to spare.

They'll just buy my product instead, since I've designed my app for use
with 640x480 screens (looks great at 1200x768 too).

Enuf said.

Other Threads