(Delphi and MS-SQL) or (Delphi and Oracle)

Hi I'm Jucimar Junior from Brazil

I'm developing an application with Delphi 3.0 and MS-SQL 6.5.

I've a question :

My friend said me that every transaction with ms-sql must be developed using
stored procedures ( delete, update, insert, find) to improve the perfomance
EG:

    I've a form. In this form I DON'T use databound controls like dbedit
    I use normal controls like edit, combobox ...
    In a Post Button, I call a store procedure

Is it true ?

Jucimar Junior
jucimar_jun...@hotmail.com

Re:(Delphi and MS-SQL) or (Delphi and Oracle)

Jucimar Junior wrote:

> Hi I'm Jucimar Junior from Brazil

> I'm developing an application with Delphi 3.0 and MS-SQL 6.5.

> I've a question :

> My friend said me that every transaction with ms-sql must be developed using
> stored procedures ( delete, update, insert, find) to improve the perfomance
> EG:

>     I've a form. In this form I DON'T use databound controls like dbedit
>     I use normal controls like edit, combobox ...
>     In a Post Button, I call a store procedure

> Is it true ?

> Jucimar Junior
> jucimar_jun...@hotmail.com

Stored procedures do not necessarily speed up the performance of the
database.  Stored procs are exactly that, procedures stored on the
server.  Procedures imply more complicated, computationaly demanding SQL
that is used continually.

For simple SQL selects etc., it can be just as fast to send them from
the client application providing they are prepared ahead of time.

At least this is the way I understand it.  Anyone care to set me
straight?

Other Threads