Delphi 2.0 Academic Pricing!

Hello all,

There's been some question lately about the academic pricing on
Delphi.  Just today, I received yet another Delphi 2 postcard from
Borland and this one includes the prices for the academic versions.
I must admit, I'm impressed--the prices are quite good:

Desktop: $79.95 US
Developer: $129.95 US
C/S: n/a

Well, there it is folks.  If you can get it at these prices, I
suggest you do so--they're about half the normal street price.

Good luck,

Paul

Re:Delphi 2.0 Academic Pricing!

Paul Thurrott wrote:

> Hello all,

> There's been some question lately about the academic pricing on
> Delphi.  Just today, I received yet another Delphi 2 postcard from
> Borland and this one includes the prices for the academic versions.
> I must admit, I'm impressed--the prices are quite good:

> Desktop: $79.95 US
> Developer: $129.95 US
> C/S: n/a

> Well, there it is folks.  If you can get it at these prices, I
> suggest you do so--they're about half the normal street price.

> Good luck,

> Paul

One of my friend had phoned up Borland about the academic version. The
sales told him that the academic version cannot make standalone exe. Is
it a rumour only?

Hardy Yau wrote:

> Paul Thurrott wrote:

> > Hello all,

> > There's been some question lately about the academic pricing on
> > Delphi.  Just today, I received yet another Delphi 2 postcard from
> > Borland and this one includes the prices for the academic versions.
> > I must admit, I'm impressed--the prices are quite good:

> > Desktop: $79.95 US
> > Developer: $129.95 US
> > C/S: n/a

> > Well, there it is folks.  If you can get it at these prices, I
> > suggest you do so--they're about half the normal street price.

> > Good luck,

> > Paul

> One of my friend had phoned up Borland about the academic version. The
> sales told him that the academic version cannot make standalone exe. Is
> it a rumour only?

I don't think there is any difference between the "academic" and the
"normal" Developer...  I have the academic version, and it certainly
produces .EXEs!

BTW, for what it's worth, I paid US$111 (decimal, not binary) at the
Dartmouth Computer Store.

Happy Computing,

Marcel

In article <31474071.7...@tuck.dartmouth.edu>, Drs Marcel Feenstra <feenstr...@tuck.dartmouth.edu> wrote:

>Hardy Yau wrote:

>> Paul Thurrott wrote:

>> > Hello all,

>> > There's been some question lately about the academic pricing on
>> > Delphi.  Just today, I received yet another Delphi 2 postcard from
>> > Borland and this one includes the prices for the academic versions.
>> > I must admit, I'm impressed--the prices are quite good:

>> > Desktop: $79.95 US
>> > Developer: $129.95 US
>> > C/S: n/a

>> > Well, there it is folks.  If you can get it at these prices, I
>> > suggest you do so--they're about half the normal street price.

>> > Good luck,

>> > Paul

>> One of my friend had phoned up Borland about the academic version. The
>> sales told him that the academic version cannot make standalone exe. Is
>> it a rumour only?

>I don't think there is any difference between the "academic" and the
>"normal" Developer...  I have the academic version, and it certainly
>produces .EXEs!

>BTW, for what it's worth, I paid US$111 (decimal, not binary) at the
>Dartmouth Computer Store.

>Happy Computing,

>Marcel

Academic versions certainly produce exe's and they DO work fine. Just don't
try SELLING them to anyone. If you do, Borland will have a legal noose 'round
your neck faster that you can say 'Delphi'!!! Academic versions are for
personal use only...that's why they're so cheap. Go for the real thing if you
can afford it.

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Software
reef...@interlog.com

Bent Tranberg wrote:

> Hardy Yau wrote:
> > One of my friend had phoned up Borland about the academic version. The
> > sales told him that the academic version cannot make standalone exe. Is
> > it a rumour only?

> Are you sure he didn't phone Microsoft?  :-))

Well, I am not sure. Perhaps he did.

reef...@interlog.com wrote:
>Academic versions certainly produce exe's and they DO work fine. Just don't
>try SELLING them to anyone. If you do, Borland will have a legal noose 'round
>your neck faster that you can say 'Delphi'!!! Academic versions are for
>personal use only...that's why they're so cheap. Go for the real thing if you
>can afford it.

I've never seen anything to indicate _that_ in their licensing; if I've
overlooked something, I'd be interested to find out.  (my Delphi 1.0 was
academic; bought the 2.0 upgrade at Best Buy for 239.99, and will be
sending in for the $50 rebate)
---
Andrew Myers           :       --> *{*word*180} Here! * <--
greyj...@macatawa.org  :  (you may be one of the lucky 25)

--
Bent Tranberg, Agder College, Grimstad
Grooseveien 36, 4890 Grimstad, Norway

khaled Agrama (kf...@192.168.0.1) wrote:
: reef...@interlog.com wrote:

: > Academic versions certainly produce exe's and they DO work fine. Just don't
: > try SELLING them to anyone. If you do, Borland will have a legal noose 'round
: > your neck faster that you can say 'Delphi'!!! Academic versions are for
: > personal use only...that's why they're so cheap. Go for the real thing if you
: > can afford it.
: >
:
:
: Who the heck gave you that idea?  Where on the license agreement does it say this?  If
: you are **SURE** about this then fine, but otherwise don't post messages that mislead
: people.  I have seen the academic version and there is no place where it says "for
: personal use only."
:
: Khaled Arama

From Borland's Delphi 2.0 Developer Academic Version, Additional License
Terms for Development Products:
You may write and compile your own appliation programs using the Borland
software contained in this package, including any libraries and source
code included for such purpose with the product. If you are the
licensed, registered user of this product, you may use, reproduce, give
away, or sell any program you write using this product, in executable
form only, without additional license or fees, subject to all of the
conditions in this statement.

Until someone shows me where in *my* documentation it says otherwise, I
will act on the above legal statement included with my Academic version.
To me, however, there is no doubt that I can sell whatever I write.

--micah

Micah James Cooper      If a liar and deceiver comes and says, 'I will
Coope...@MUOhio.Edu       prophesy for you plenty of wine and beer,' he would
                        be just the prophet for this people! Micah 2:11 (NIV)

Re:Delphi 2.0 Academic Pricing!

>One of my friend had phoned up Borland about the academic version. The
>sales told him that the academic version cannot make standalone exe. Is
>it a rumour only?

I thought this had been answered already. The academic version _can_ make a
standalone .EXE, _and_ you can distribute the .EXE.

Incidentally, I've been quoted an Academic price of AUS$399 (approx US$320) for
the developer edition, and yet you can get a crossgrade from VB for AUS$389!!

Dave

David Nottage wrote:

> >One of my friend had phoned up Borland about the academic version. The
> >sales told him that the academic version cannot make standalone exe. Is
> >it a rumour only?

> I thought this had been answered already. The academic version _can_ make a
> standalone .EXE, _and_ you can distribute the .EXE.

> Incidentally, I've been quoted an Academic price of AUS$399 (approx US$320) for
> the developer edition, and yet you can get a crossgrade from VB for AUS$389!!

> Dave

Academic price of US$320??!  I paid $111 for Developer at the
Dartmouth Computer Store (and I believe the _upgrade_ had a suggested
price of $240 or so)...  If I am not mistaken, the suggested academic
price is US$130 --so don't let them rip you off, Dave!  (Have you
contacted Borland about this?)

Marcel Feenstra (Tuck '96)

Hardy Yau <h...@sierrasys.com> wrote:
>Paul Thurrott wrote:

>> Hello all,

>> There's been some question lately about the academic pricing on
>> Delphi.  Just today, I received yet another Delphi 2 postcard from
>> Borland and this one includes the prices for the academic versions.
>> I must admit, I'm impressed--the prices are quite good:

>> Desktop: $79.95 US
>> Developer: $129.95 US
>> C/S: n/a

>> Well, there it is folks.  If you can get it at these prices, I
>> suggest you do so--they're about half the normal street price.

>> Good luck,

>> Paul
>One of my friend had phoned up Borland about the academic version. The
>sales told him that the academic version cannot make standalone exe. Is
>it a rumour only?

You know, as with most places there are great and not so great people
giving information over the phone about their products. To answer this
question, yes, the academic version of Delphi is a full working
product.

In article <3154d28a.5353...@news.melbpc.org.au>, r...@melbpc.org.au (Robert Small) wrote:
>>Academic price of US$320??!  I paid $111 for Developer at the
>>Dartmouth Computer Store (and I believe the _upgrade_ had a suggested
>>price of $240 or so)...  If I am not mistaken, the suggested academic
>>price is US$130 --so don't let them rip you off, Dave!  (Have you
>>contacted Borland about this?)

>>Marcel Feenstra (Tuck '96)

The cost is a lot less at James Madison University's bookstore -- I only paid
$79, plus tax.  However, they only sell to students here.  Anyone wanting
academic pricing can try local specialized computer stores, but you need to
have a current academic ID to get it.

Scott Dellinger

Brian Schwahn (schw...@primenet.com) wrote:

: You know, as with most places there are great and not so great people
: giving information over the phone about their products. To answer this
: question, yes, the academic version of Delphi is a full working
: product.

just to add fuel to this fire, the academic version can only be bought
by those who qualify under borland's academic program.  if you are smart
enough, you can qualify (or someone you know) for this. the reason for
this is that borland wants you to get early exposure to their products.
i remember, when i took college courses, the professor had to be part of
the program and only then would the professor hand out these coupons for
the special rate.

btw, i bought by first borland product under this program, TP 3.0 and
i've been hooked on them ever since...  oh yeah, the first one i got
included a sticker that says this was bought under the special program
and you cannot buy, sell, blah, blah blah...  but yes, it was the full
version.

--
later days...

leo d.
ldivi...@s1.csuhayward.edu forward to ldivi...@barney.sbe.csuhayward.edu

Leo Divinagracia III wrote:

> Brian Schwahn (schw...@primenet.com) wrote:

> : You know, as with most places there are great and not so great people
> : giving information over the phone about their products. To answer this
> : question, yes, the academic version of Delphi is a full working
> : product.

> just to add fuel to this fire, the academic version can only be bought
> by those who qualify under borland's academic program.  if you are smart
> enough, you can qualify (or someone you know) for this. the reason for
> this is that borland wants you to get early exposure to their products.
> i remember, when i took college courses, the professor had to be part of
> the program and only then would the professor hand out these coupons for
> the special rate.

The onyl Academic versions of any software I have seen with limitted
functionality were early editions of dBASE.

However, in the last year my wife and I have purchased Academic versions of
MS VB.4.0 Professional, Delphi1.0, Visual dBASE v.5.5, Visual FoxPro, and
Delphi2.0 Developer and are happy to say that NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THESE PRODUCTS
HAS BEEN LIMITTED IN ANY WAY.

For those who care, Delphi 2.0 Developer is about $189.00 Canadian at U.B.C. in
Vancouver.  Delphi 2.0 Desktop is about $130.00 Canadian.

> leo d.
> ldivi...@s1.csuhayward.edu forward to ldivi...@barney.sbe.csuhayward.edu

ttyl
Jason

Re:Delphi 2.0 Academic Pricing!

  Well, here's my experience:  Bought Delphi 1.0 academically priced at $89
from the local bookstore... what's more is that since I bought after 12/01/95
I took advantage of the upgrade offer from Borland and got the 2.0 Client
Server Edition for $10.  Long live Borland, no other (micro)software company
I know of would treat users that well.
Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads