Delphi 1.0 C/S apps hang while accessing MS SQL Server

Hi

I have encountered two problems with Delphi 1.0 C/S apps when talking
to Micrsoft SQL Workstation 6.0:

  1. Trying to post changes to a SQL server view accessed via a TTable
     causes the application to hang while displaying the SQL cursor.
  2. Trying to run an update query on a table previously loaded with
     rows by an insert query also cause the app to hang.
     (Interestingly, using TTable.Batchmove to load the rows, and then
     running the update queries, seems to work).

I haven't noticed any other problems, but the two above are
trememdously limiting.

Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? If so, is there a know fix?

Regards
Andrew

Re:Delphi 1.0 C/S apps hang while accessing MS SQL Server

With respect to #2, try the following--after running the insert query,
Close and Open the TQuery or TTable to refresh, then run your update query.
Gene

Andrew Klopper <and...@security.is.co.za> wrote in article
<331C5164.3...@security.is.co.za>...

> Hi

> I have encountered two problems with Delphi 1.0 C/S apps when talking
> to Micrsoft SQL Workstation 6.0:

>   1. Trying to post changes to a SQL server view accessed via a TTable
>      causes the application to hang while displaying the SQL cursor.
>   2. Trying to run an update query on a table previously loaded with
>      rows by an insert query also cause the app to hang.
>      (Interestingly, using TTable.Batchmove to load the rows, and then
>      running the update queries, seems to work).

> I haven't noticed any other problems, but the two above are
> trememdously limiting.

> Has anyone else noticed this behaviour? If so, is there a know fix?

> Regards
> Andrew

Re:Delphi 1.0 C/S apps hang while accessing MS SQL Server

On Tue, 04 Mar 1997 18:44:20 +0200, Andrew Klopper

<and...@security.is.co.za> wrote:
>  1. Trying to post changes to a SQL server view accessed via a TTable
>     causes the application to hang while displaying the SQL cursor.

Welcome to the world of MS-SQL! You just encountered a locking
problem. You are probably trying to update a record through a DbGrid?
Look in the discussions at www.borland.com in the Delphi Forum at c/s
databases. You'll find tips & tricks there...

Jeroen Houtzager <j.houtza...@amc.uva.nl>
Academisch Medisch Centrum - Amsterdam