XML

What exactly is all the fuss about XML is it essentially just a new way to
save files? Does this mean in the future most applications are going to save
in xml - Microsoft have started already for one. I am considering using XML
for my own applications but there does not seem to be any suitable free XML
parsers. Open XML (http://www.philo.de/xml/) is way too big, adding a huge
amount to the exe size. Plus I can' t understand how to use it, properly at
least. All I want is the ability to save and load xml files, no validation
required. I could write it myself but if there already is one out there it
would save me a lot of time.

Regards
Andrew

Re:XML

Andrew (a...@freesoftREMOVETHIS.fsnet.co.uk) wrote:

: What exactly is all the fuss about XML is it essentially just a new way to
: save files? Does this mean in the future most applications are going to save
: in xml - Microsoft have started already for one. I am considering using XML
: for my own applications but there does not seem to be any suitable free XML
: parsers. Open XML (http://www.philo.de/xml/) is way too big, adding a huge
: amount to the exe size. Plus I can' t understand how to use it, properly at
: least. All I want is the ability to save and load xml files, no validation
: required. I could write it myself but if there already is one out there it
: would save me a lot of time.

What Delphi version do you have?  In Delphi 6 Pro and above, and in
previous versions of Enterprise, you have TClientDataSet, and it's
my understanding that it will read and write XML.

As I understand it, XML's main advantage is its portability, and the
various applications that can read it.  Its main disadvantage is that,
with large amounts of data, it's slower than traditional database
formats.  For example, it might be fine with hundreds or thousands
of records, but will never compete with something like Oracle for
handling millions of records.
--
Rick Carter
carte...@email.uc.edu   Rick.Car...@ParadoxCommunity.com

Re:XML

"Richard Carter" <carte...@news.ececs.uc.edu> wrote in message

> What Delphi version do you have?  In Delphi 6 Pro and above, and in
> previous versions of Enterprise, you have TClientDataSet, and it's
> my understanding that it will read and write XML.

> As I understand it, XML's main advantage is its portability, and the
> various applications that can read it.  Its main disadvantage is that,
> with large amounts of data, it's slower than traditional database
> formats.  For example, it might be fine with hundreds or thousands
> of records, but will never compete with something like Oracle for
> handling millions of records.
> --
> Rick Carter
> carte...@email.uc.edu   Rick.Car...@ParadoxCommunity.com
> Chair,   Paradox/Delphi SIG,   Cincinnati PC Users Group

Delphi 4 Standard. I think XML has the potential to become out of hand - too
many XML formats meaning the original problem of cross compatibility is
still there. I'm in the middle of writing my own parser, quite simple no
error checking, no parsing not compatible with W3C DOM - I believe DOM is
way too big for the simple apps that I write.

Andrew O
http://www.freesoft.fsnet.co.uk

Re:XML

"Andrew" <a...@freesoftREMOVETHIS.fsnet.co.uk> skrev i melding

> "Richard Carter" <carte...@news.ececs.uc.edu> wrote in message
> > What Delphi version do you have?  In Delphi 6 Pro and above, and in
> > previous versions of Enterprise, you have TClientDataSet, and it's
> > my understanding that it will read and write XML.

> > As I understand it, XML's main advantage is its portability, and the
> > various applications that can read it.  Its main disadvantage is that,
> > with large amounts of data, it's slower than traditional database
> > formats.  For example, it might be fine with hundreds or thousands
> > of records, but will never compete with something like Oracle for
> > handling millions of records.
> > --
> > Rick Carter
> > carte...@email.uc.edu   Rick.Car...@ParadoxCommunity.com
> > Chair,   Paradox/Delphi SIG,   Cincinnati PC Users Group

> Delphi 4 Standard. I think XML has the potential to become out of hand -
too
> many XML formats meaning the original problem of cross compatibility is
> still there. I'm in the middle of writing my own parser, quite simple no
> error checking, no parsing not compatible with W3C DOM - I believe DOM is
> way too big for the simple apps that I write.

The XML is definately a hype, although it is a potential answer to some real
needs:
- The database world has never had a real data exchange format, the nearest
so far being comma separated files or dBase format. This is
remarkable...working with state-of-the-art Oracle and having no simple way
of exporting / importing ASCII data, to mention an example.
- A data storage format that is not as rigid as a native database format,
allowing for things like different record definitions but still being able
to read what's possible to read
- Having a format suitable for "almost empty records" - where only few
fields are normally used
- A self - describing format other than native db-formats.

The idea of the DTD is somewhat unclear to me other than in a contaxt where
there exists a metaformat, i.e. that the receiver of the data understands
the meaning of all the fields / elements. Publishing, etc., where the
possible number of such element types is limited, seems like a candidate.
Also, when the amount of text is large compared to the number of fields, tag
overhead is little (and possibly - *efficient* compared to database
storage).

For traditional data applications, XML is little more than a predefined way
of formatting flat files. I believed we were through with the flat file
native format "databases", or maybe things have become too complicated ? On
several occasions, XML is assumed to replace an application-defined data
format. This is just not right, it only represent a format that may be less
rigid - but at a cost that makes it useless if efficiency is a topic. Often
you'll see XML files whose size is 5x that of a more compact stream format.

ISTM that XML is mentioned more often by those who'll never write the code
using it...
Like with other hypes, it may actually lead into a blind alley that will
take many good arguments to help us back out from.

All IMHO, as usual ;-)

--
Bj?rge S?ther
bjorge@hahaha_itte.no

Re:XML

Im Artikel <GExN8.853$yj7.12...@news4.ulv.nextra.no>, "Bj?rge S?ther"
<bjorge@hahaha_itte.no> schreibt:

>ISTM that XML is mentioned more often by those who'll never write the code
>using it...

;-)

I just found another portable approach to exchanging complex and huge data
structures, in the XT library in
<http://www.program-transformation.org/twiki/bin/view/Transform>. Currently I'm
trying to implement an Delphi port of the ATerm library.

DoDi

Other Threads