Can my users install BDE from Borland web site?

No. The BDE download on the Borland Web site is an update. It will only
install on a machine that already has the BDE installed.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Can my users install BDE from Borland web site?

On Fri, 05 May 2000 06:48:07 +0900, Ueki <eu...@kw.netlaputa.ne.jp> wrote:
>Is it possible that my users download BDE(5.1.1) from the
>following Borland web site

>http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/

Yes,  they can download this,  but read on below...

>and they download my application without BDE from my web site ?

Yes they could do this,  but still read on...

You could do as you want,  but it will not give you the results you desire.
As Bill explained,  the BDE which is available for free download form
Borland is an update.  If your users do not already have the BDE installed
on their computers,  the download form Borland will not install it for
them.  If they do already have the BDE installed,  the free download will
update their BDE version to the current version.

If you want,  you can make a separate BDE installation yourself,  and still
use the method you describe,  just substituting your web address for the
BDE download.

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam

On Sat, 06 May 2000 07:36:19 +0900, Ueki <eu...@kw.netlaputa.ne.jp> wrote:
>Is it legitimate to make a separate BDE installation without my app?

Yes it is.  Many want to do it to allow customers who already have the BDE
download an install without having to download the BDE again.  You must
keep in mind the redistribution rights for the BDE,  but those are covered
in more detail in the DEPLOY.TXT file you got with your copy of the BDE (or
the compiler you got the BDE with).

>If so, can I do this without ISX?

Yes you can.  Once again,  according to the DEPLOY.TXT file,  you must use
an approved installation program to install the BDE.  ISX is shipped with
many and it is such an installer,  but it is not the only one.  There is
one which gets many good reviews here in the newsgroups,  but I have never
used it (all of my installs used ISX <g>).  If you search this newsgroup,
you should find a number of references to it...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" wrote:

> No. The BDE download on the Borland Web site is an update. It will only
> install on a machine that already has the BDE installed.

Thanks, Bill.

Is a BDE update possible if there are registry settings for BDE
without BDE body itself?

If not possible, what minimum BDE parts should be installed?
       Hisao Ueki
  eu...@kw.netlaputa.ne.jp

"Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)" wrote:
> If you want,  you can make a separate BDE installation yourself,  and still
> use the method you describe,  just substituting your web address for the
> BDE download.

Thanks, Jerry.

Is it legitimate to make a separate BDE installation without my app?
If so, can I do this without ISX?
       Hisao Ueki
  eu...@kw.netlaputa.ne.jp

Re:Can my users install BDE from Borland web site?

Since your Delphi license requires that you distribute the BDE with a
Borland certified installation tool why not just do that and save yourself a
lot of headaches. You can build an installation with InstallShield Express.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Can my users install BDE from Borland web site?

Many thanks for the detailed info.

       Hisao Ueki
  eu...@kw.netlaputa.ne.jp

Re:Can my users install BDE from Borland web site?

There is no free solution to this that I know of. I do not use InstallShield
so I am not an expert on it but I do not think the version that comes with
Delphi and Builder supports multiple languages.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Can my users install BDE from Borland web site?

Thanks, Bill.

I have two database programs.
One is a Japanese version. This version can be deployed using ISX
from C++Builder4 Japanese version without any problems.

The other is an English version. My ISX is a Japnese version, so
it displays the info in Japanese while installing process.
But I don't know how to convert the Japanese expression from ISX
into English. Possibly we cannot do that, can we?

At present I cannot deploy my English version using ISX.
Also I can't afford the money for new English C++Builder.

Is there any work around about this?
Any informations are welcomed.

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" wrote:

> Since your Delphi license requires that you distribute the BDE with a
> Borland certified installation tool why not just do that and save yourself a
> lot of headaches. You can build an installation with InstallShield Express.

       Hisao Ueki
  eu...@kw.netlaputa.ne.jp

Re:Can my users install BDE from Borland web site?

Many thanks for the addtional info.

Delphi/Builder supports many methods for Internationalizing applications.
But I stumble at ISX.
I wish ISX would support multiple languages in the future.
But it would be better that BDE becomes free like IB.

Bill and Jerry,
Thanks, guys.

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" wrote:

> There is no free solution to this that I know of. I do not use InstallShield
> so I am not an expert on it but I do not think the version that comes with
> Delphi and Builder supports multiple languages.

       Hisao Ueki
  eu...@kw.netlaputa.ne.jp

Re:Can my users install BDE from Borland web site?

Jerry,

I just cant belive Borland doesnt provide a free BDE install utility. Maybe I'm the dumbest person on earth, but I
think the easiest way to make a middleware popular is the MS way: post it somewhere and let everybody download
it.
Doy you know of a free public domain ISX script to make a simple (no SQL-Links) and clean BDE installation.

Thanks,

Ed.

>Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)" <JersW...@wwa.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 06 May 2000 07:36:19 +0900, Ueki <eu...@kw.netlaputa.ne.jp> wrote:>
>>Is it legitimate to make a separate BDE installation without my app?

>Yes it is.  Many want to do it to allow customers who already have the BDE
>download an install without having to download the BDE again.  You must
>keep in mind the redistribution rights for the BDE,  but those are covered
>in more detail in the DEPLOY.TXT file you got with your copy of the BDE (or
>the compiler you got the BDE with).

>>If so, can I do this without ISX?

>Yes you can.  Once again,  according to the DEPLOY.TXT file,  you must use
>an approved installation program to install the BDE.  ISX is shipped with
>many and it is such an installer,  but it is not the only one.  There is
>one which gets many good reviews here in the newsgroups,  but I have never
>used it (all of my installs used ISX <g>).  If you search this newsgroup,
>you should find a number of references to it...

>Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
>--
>http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
>Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
>filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Re:Can my users install BDE from Borland web site?

On 26 May 2000 15:47:54 -0800, "Eduardo Elgueta"

<e_elgueta_...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>I just cant belive Borland doesnt provide a free BDE install utility. Maybe I'm the dumbest person on earth, but I
>think the easiest way to make a middleware popular is the MS way: post it somewhere and let everybody download it.

>Doy you know of a free public domain ISX script to make a simple (no SQL-Links) and clean BDE installation.

I am not aware of any such installation available at this time.  IIRC,
this would be risky as to whether or not it is compliance with the license
agreement for the BDE.  Considering that the re-distribution of the BDE is
only allowed under certain conditions,  it might not be legal to make a BDE
only installation which you pass around as you suggest...

You should be able to make one yourself using the tools provided with your
copy of the compiler.  With al current releases,  if you have a BDE
included,  you also have a custom ISX included which will build
installation sets for that compiler/BDE version...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Other Threads