Delphi vs VB vs Visual C++

Hi

I hope I am not boring somebody with my question. Give me tips why I
should use Delphi, VB or Visual C++ to develope Windows Applications?
What are the facts? I use  delphi 3.0 and I like it, but I have to write
down why I decided to develope in delphi.

Thanks for help

Andreas

Re:Delphi vs VB vs Visual C++

Hi Andreas!

> I hope I am not boring somebody with my question. Give me tips why I
> should use Delphi, VB or Visual C++ to develope Windows Applications?
> What are the facts? I use  delphi 3.0 and I like it, but I have to write

The facts of Delphi are:
- native code compiler
- easy to use
- fast and stable
- not from microsoft
- a lot of free components
- many third party add on products
- easy to write own components
- very good database support
- supports database servers too
- easy to distribute
- better programming language (compared to basic, but it's only a question
of taste)
- much much better exception/error handling (not a question of taste)
- very good editor, fast compiler
- and more...

The facts of VB:
- easy to use
- many third party add on products
- available in office products
- is from microsoft
disadvanteages of VB:
- bad performance
- many troubles when distriubting software
- database support is good, but not quite as good as in delphi

VC++
I don't know, I don't use it.

I hope you can use some ideas.

regards guenther

Re:Delphi vs VB vs Visual C++

Guenther S{*word*203}wrote:

> Hi Andreas!

> > I hope I am not boring somebody with my question. Give me tips why I
> > should use Delphi, VB or Visual C++ to develope Windows Applications?
> > What are the facts? I use  delphi 3.0 and I like it, but I have to write

> The facts of Delphi are:
> - native code compiler
> - easy to use
> - fast and stable
> - not from microsoft
> - a lot of free components
> - many third party add on products
> - easy to write own components
> - very good database support
> - supports database servers too
> - easy to distribute
> - better programming language (compared to basic, but it's only a question
> of taste)
> - much much better exception/error handling (not a question of taste)
> - very good editor, fast compiler
> - and more...

> The facts of VB:
> - easy to use
> - many third party add on products

add on don't always work correctly... ActiveX add on are very hard to
register quickly and easily.

> - available in office products
> - is from microsoft

Is it truely an advantage ?
> disadvanteages of VB:
> - bad performance
> - many troubles when distriubting software
> - database support is good, but not quite as good as in delphi

Database support is almost good. But DataAware components are terribles
to manage. You have in each form to write a lot of code to be sure there
won't happen exception. If you don't explicitly manage exception in each
sub, your app wil stop... It's far from Delphi stability...

> VC++
> I don't know, I don't use it.

disadvantages :
- It's not visual. (But C++Builder is.)
- It's C++ : bad organization, not easy to read and maintain.
advantages :
- It's C++, it can be multi-platform.

> I hope you can use some ideas.

> regards guenther

Re:Delphi vs VB vs Visual C++

You are right, it is kind of boring to ask the same question again and
again, especially when you are not a total Delphi newcomer any more.
Why not try to help youself. On DejNews there are tens of earlier
postings
and documents, comparing Delphi and C++

http://x10.dejanews.com/dnquery.xp?search=word&query=*&maxhits=25&ST=...

Markku Nevalainen

AndreasS wrote:

> Hi

> I hope I am not boring somebody with my question. Give me tips why I
> should use Delphi, VB or Visual C++ to develope Windows Applications?
> What are the facts? I use  delphi 3.0 and I like it, but I have to write
> down why I decided to develope in delphi.

> Thanks for help

> Andreas

Re:Delphi vs VB vs Visual C++

In article <34ED4610.ADEC9...@Hugo.zr> AndreasS <H...@Hugo.zr> writes:
>I hope I am not boring somebody with my question. Give me tips why I
>should use Delphi, VB or Visual C++ to develope Windows Applications?
>What are the facts? I use  delphi 3.0 and I like it, but I have to write
>down why I decided to develope in delphi.

Over time, you should try to become familiar with all three tools.  (It will
give you new respect for Delphi!)

As to why you decided to use Delphi?  You like it... that's one good reason.
You are productive in it and get work done efficiently using it... so do I...
that's another good reason.

The box costs $200 (US).  Half a day to one full day of your time costs the
same amount.  A difference between two tools that might shave a week or two
off the development cycle (and the difference usually "shaves off" much more!)
is a savings of $10,000 or more.  The economics are compelling.

But Microsoft spends millions of dollars telling senior managers (who are not
programmers)... "nobody ever got fired for programming in Microsoft products,"
and millions more making Microsoft? a household name.  But that does not make
it true that MS products are the best, or the only ones that should be used
for any purpose.  It certainly does not rule out the need for competition.

Competition is a good thing.  It breeds innovation, where monopolies breed
stagnation.  It gave us Delphi and C++Builder.  It forced improvements to be
made in both VC++ and VB that would not have been economically necessary for
Microsoft to do if Delphi and C++B were not nipping at their heels and winning
awards at ComDEX that Microsoft was accustomed to take home.

As a consumer and a developer, I want to be able to watch the battle and
choose the winner.  What works for females of all species of animals,
selecting the best male with whom they will mate, works also in an economic
system.  Not only does it induce development companies to produce better tools
for me to buy and use... it *forces* them to do so.

If it were ever a foregone conclusion that "Visual? this-or-that is the only
product available ..." my software *rental* costs could be as arbitrarily high
as Microsoft wanted them to be, and I would be out of business... if not from
the cost of the product and the development time, then from the hourly royalty
costs each of my customers would have to pay to Microsoft.  It's not a good
scenario and competition keeps it at bay.

Re:Delphi vs VB vs Visual C++

AndreasS wrote:
> Hi

> I hope I am not boring somebody with my question. Give me tips why I
> should use Delphi, VB or Visual C++ to develope Windows Applications?
> What are the facts? I use  delphi 3.0 and I like it, but I have to write
> down why I decided to develope in delphi.

> Thanks for help

> Andreas

Look at this url:
http://www.computerworld.com/news/review_center/980112choice_dev.html