Borland: Why not put Toolboxes in public domain?

I've been working recently with the Turbo Editor Toolbox written for
Turbo Pascal 4.0.  It seems to me that this and the other toolboxes
that Borland used to distribute (numerical methods, database, games,
graphics and a tutorial) are still potentially very useful to
programmers, although in need of updating.

Since Borland no longer seems interested in selling the toolboxes, why
not put them (and their documentation) into the public domain and make
them available via FTP?  This would cost little and add to the value
of products that Borland _does_ still sell, its Pascal compilers.

My personal interest here is that I would like to be able to
redistribute the source code to a program I am writing.  I could, of
course, distribute only my original portions and include a patching
program to modify those units in the Editor Toolbox that I have found
it necessary to revise.  Unfortunately, this would be of no use to
anyone without access to the original toolbox.

Overall, it seems a shame that a large amount of solid, useful code
has been orphaned.

                                                       Bruce Mickle

Re:Borland: Why not put Toolboxes in public domain?

In article <314b3ba1.138...@news.ucdavis.edu>
           bmic...@dcn.davis.ca.us "Bruce V. Mickle" writes:

> I've been working recently with the Turbo Editor Toolbox written for
> Turbo Pascal 4.0.  It seems to me that this and the other toolboxes
> that Borland used to distribute (numerical methods, database, games,
> graphics and a tutorial) are still potentially very useful to
> programmers, although in need of updating.

> Since Borland no longer seems interested in selling the toolboxes, why
> not put them (and their documentation) into the public domain and make
> them available via FTP?  This would cost little and add to the value
> of products that Borland _does_ still sell, its Pascal compilers.

Borland no longer own the toolboxes, they sold them off years ago, the company
that bought them do not seem to have done anything with them. I managed to buy
a second hand Database Toolbox, but would still like to buy the Editor Toolbox
as well.

But it would be NICE!, if whoever owns them would release them on an FTP site.

Nigel.

          | Nigel Goodwin   | Internet : nig...@lpilsley.demon.co.uk |
          | Lower Pilsley   |                                        |
          | Chesterfield    |                                        |
          | England         |                                        |