Delphi & MS Access database(multi-user)

Hi!
Does someone know if there is a problem accessing a Microsoft Access
database in multi-user environment? (Around 50 user at a time)
Thank!
Danny Lapointe

Re:Delphi & MS Access database(multi-user)

For 50 users, I would not use MS-Access.  There is simply too much data
there all in one place to risk it all being damaged (all at once) by
anything that might go wrong.  Especially for a "medi-"solution.

It would be wiser, I think, to look at a client/server based solution
from the get-go.  Interbase, SQL Server, etc.  This puts the data itself
onto one presumably-reliable server, and if any user disconnects or
reboots, the server can keep database integrity intact.

MS-Access is, IMHO, unreliable in such situations to the point of being
"not recommended."  It's no fun getting a message in the "repair"
process to the effect of:  "I can't repair this because it's broken."
And, there is no sub-part of the all-in-one-file MS-Access system that
can be removed or repaired separately.

>Danny.Lapoi...@medisolution.com wrote:

> Hi!
> Does someone know if there is a problem accessing a Microsoft Access
> database in multi-user environment? (Around 50 user at a time)
> Thank!
> Danny Lapointe

Re:Delphi & MS Access database(multi-user)

Agreed!

One suggestion is to look at Microsoft's MSDE engine; essentially a baby SQL
Server that comes with Access 2000. It uses the core SQL Server 7.0 engine,
but has some limitations vs the full blown SQL Server 7 product (e.g. no
multi-processor support, 2 GB database size restriction, etc.). MS Access
databases can be "upsized" to use MSDE without too much grief.

Greg

"Sundial Services" <i...@sundialservices.com> wrote in message

> For 50 users, I would not use MS-Access.  There is simply too much data
> there all in one place to risk it all being damaged (all at once) by
> anything that might go wrong.  Especially for a "medi-"solution.

> It would be wiser, I think, to look at a client/server based solution
> from the get-go.  Interbase, SQL Server, etc.  This puts the data itself
> onto one presumably-reliable server, and if any user disconnects or
> reboots, the server can keep database integrity intact.

> MS-Access is, IMHO, unreliable in such situations to the point of being
> "not recommended."  It's no fun getting a message in the "repair"
> process to the effect of:  "I can't repair this because it's broken."
> And, there is no sub-part of the all-in-one-file MS-Access system that
> can be removed or repaired separately.

> >Danny.Lapoi...@medisolution.com wrote:

> > Hi!
> > Does someone know if there is a problem accessing a Microsoft Access
> > database in multi-user environment? (Around 50 user at a time)
> > Thank!
> > Danny Lapointe

> Sundial Services :: Scottsdale, AZ (USA) :: (480) 946-8259
> mailto:i...@sundialservices.com  (PGP public key available.)
> > Fast(!), automatic table-repair with two clicks of the mouse!
> > ChimneySweep(R):  "Click click, it's fixed!" {tm}
> > http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Other Threads