Help! Distributing BDE 32bit

I have been doing research on re-distribution of BDE for several days now and
I'm no closer to these answers. Please help, it will be greatly appreciated.
All of this refers to Delphi 2.0 and BDE 32bit:

1) Is this true: Once you install BDE on a system, you then only need to
distribute your EXE file and any tables that you have pre-created??

2) If 1) is true, then how the hell do you install JUST BDE? Delphi 1.0 used
to come with 2 diskettes that you could re-distribute, but I don't see
anything on the Delphi 2.0 CD like that! The only 2 disks that install BDE are
under the Delphi16 subdirectory and therefore it would reason that that's not
what I want.

3) I've seen people recommend Wise and InstallShield, but let's face it - why
the hell should I distribute BDE with ALL my applications, especially on the
Web? It's absurd and therefore I'm looking for a way to be able to install
only BDE and then only the Delphi 2.0 EXE/tables separately. HOW DO I DO IT??

Thanks in advance, all input is appreciated.

Dan.

Re:Help! Distributing BDE 32bit

I use the Eschalon Setup Wizard (which BTW is a great product), and with
it it is easy to create a BDE only install, just create a project that
uses the Delphi/BDE project with a readme file. I'm not sure if this is
legal - you will need to consult Borland's legal agreement, If memory
serves me right - you are not allowed to distribute the BDE only, which
basically takes it from a technical problem, into a completly different
issue..

on.

--
Ron Loewy, HyperAct, Inc. +1 (515) 987 2910  | rlo...@hyperact.com
Authoring tools and Delphi components - try us!

dxf wrote in an article appearing in comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases:

>...I'm looking for a way to be able to install
>only BDE and then only the Delphi 2.0 EXE/tables separately. HOW DO I DO IT??

I don't know of a slick way to do it, but you might try just including
a tiny dummy app and install that with the BDE using InstallShield Express.
Then install your own without the BDE.

I tried using InstallShield Express without specifying any app at all.
It appeared to make BDE disks OK. But I don't have a machine to install
them on to test.

--
Kevin Davidson (kwdav...@calweb.com)
* Respondeo ergo sum ("I respond, therefore I am"), Franz Bibfeldt

Other Threads