mathematical routine: log(n)

Are there any built-in procedures for calculation of log(n)?

If not, have anybody got an idea how to make one?

--
-Helge Hannisdal

Re:mathematical routine: log(n)

db95...@oliven.lhg.hib.no (Helge J. Hannisdal) wrote:

>Are there any built-in procedures for calculation of log(n)?

>If not, have anybody got an idea how to make one?

>--
>-Helge Hannisdal

Pascal do not carry the log function (Delphi 2.0 does). It do
however carry the Ln (natural log) function. With a bit of
maths it follows that :

Log(x) := ln(x)/ln(10);

So just write a function that impliments this.
--

Arno Theron
PC-Estim/PROJEVAL(7D2C)

Re:mathematical routine: log(n)

In article <4kfspp$...@ole.uninett.no>
           db95...@oliven.lhg.hib.no "Helge J. Hannisdal" writes:

> Are there any built-in procedures for calculation of log(n)?

> If not, have anybody got an idea how to make one?

Try the `ln' function.

This gives logarithms to base `e'.

For base `b' (eg 10) use:

result:=ln(n)/ln(b);

.splitbung
--
* TQ 1.0 * The 'Just So Quotes'.
"To be or nut^H^H^H -- sh^Gt, how do I delete..^D^D^D Oh No Oh NO^D^D^D -- How

Helge J. Hannisdal <db95...@oliven.lhg.hib.no> wrote:

>Are there any built-in procedures for calculation of log(n)?

>If not, have anybody got an idea how to make one?

Try the simple mathematical identity.....

log  (x) = ln(x)
   10     ------
           ln(10)

Implementation is left as an exercise for the reader...

--
Dave Langstaff | Janet:d...@uk.ac.aber
Any views expressed are those of the author alone. | Phone:(01970)622838

Re:mathematical routine: log(n)

db95...@oliven.lhg.hib.no (Helge J. Hannisdal) wrote:

>Are there any built-in procedures for calculation of log(n)?
>If not, have anybody got an idea how to make one?
>--
>-Helge Hannisdal

It is not a build in function.

You have only to use the relation: log(n) = ln(n) / ln(10)

It will do the job for n > 0.

---
Roger Gariepy                            Be :-) even if you feel :-(
email: rgari...@rocler.qc.ca

Other Threads