Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

The address is :
http://www.linuxresources.com/cgi-bin/wish/display.pl?cat=all&by=count

--
Wanderlan Santos dos Anjos
Wanderl...@tba.com.br

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

Where can I vote for Delphi for Mac?  :-)
********************************
Michael Glatz
glatzfa...@aol.com
mgl...@briefcase.com

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Wanderlan Santos dos Anjos wrote:

> The address is :
> http://www.linuxresources.com/cgi-bin/wish/display.pl?cat=all&by=count

 I think this is very coool!!
> --
> Wanderlan Santos dos Anjos
> Wanderl...@tba.com.br

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

There is little chance of getting Delphi for Linux. Linux may be getting to
be a popular O/S, even among big business, but I dont think Inprise will be
very interested....

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

If the readers of this newsgroup could make things happen
just by wishing for them, I think we would have wished Microsoft
out of business by now...
Rick Carter   carte...@email.uc.edu   rcar...@tso.cin.ix.net

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

"Dave Derrick" <derr...@gfms.bt.co.uk> writes:
>There is little chance of getting Delphi for Linux. Linux may be getting to
>be a popular O/S, even among big business, but I dont think Inprise will be
>very interested....

I don't think Inprise can afford not to go cross-platform, networking is
becomming more and more important, and homogenous networks are becomming
more and more scarse. In my oppinion the only non-cross-platform
development tools that have any change to survive are those made by the
platform manufacturers. MS can afford not to make VB and VC++
cross-platform, but if Ingres does not make delphi cross-platform, I don't
see much of a future for delphi.

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

>more and more scarse. In my oppinion the only non-cross-platform
>development tools that have any change to survive are those made by the
>platform manufacturers. MS can afford not to make VB and VC++
>cross-platform,

I assume you mean from a "product will still be bought" perspective, not
from a "they have enough cash anyway" perspective.

>but if Ingres does not make delphi cross-platform, I don't
>see much of a future for delphi.

If MS can still make money from their non-cross platform development
systems, then there will still be a market for Delphi.  If people are
willing to use VB on a Win32 (or in the future Win64) network then there
will be people who will use Delphi (as it is better <g>).

I can't see how you think Delphi will die if MS can still produce Win-only
development products.

BTW, has anyone any thoughts on this VB to Java Development environment that
is advertised in this months Developers Review??

Andy Jeffries
Author of TkrScramDisk
(ScramDisk Delphi component)
-- See http://www.kwikrite.clara.net/ for free Delphi
    components, units and routines.
-- See http://www.hertreg.ac.uk/ss/ for ScramDisk,
    free virtual disk encryption for Windows 95/98.

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

Dave Derrick wrote:

> There is little chance of getting Delphi for Linux. Linux may be getting to
> be a popular O/S, even among big business, but I dont think Inprise will be
> very interested....

Besides the issues concerning "American" and "European" way of
business, there is another point much more important.

The main reason for MS' success was and is the support for
the application programmers. It was the drawback of Digital
Research in the early 80'ies to loose the battle against
MSDOS with their technically phantastic Concurrent CP/M-86
and it continues until Windows, where most application programs
are written with VB.

I do not mean the count of installed programs (which are
obviously written with C or C++) but the count of distinct
programs. MS allows an expert in HIS/HER profession to make
a pretty Windows program with VB, with a lot of special
knowledge, which a pure programmer never has. Pure programmers
write in C or C++, but which kind of programs? Games and
office type wordprocessing, accounting etc. where little
professional knowledge is necessary.

All the guys who blame MS do not recognize that it was and
is the secret of MS' success to give the programmers the
tools to make money on their OS. Linux is pretty, but it
is not enough to give the tools for free, without the
background to earn money. Because Linux users expect to
get ALL programs for free or at least very cheap.

It were the job of the Linux makers to produce a tool
like Delphi, at least to convince Inprise to do it for
them.

Franz Glaser

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

"Andy Jeffries" <ajeffr...@kwikrite.clara."no-spam".net> writes:
>>more and more scarse. In my oppinion the only non-cross-platform
>>development tools that have any change to survive are those made by the
>>platform manufacturers. MS can afford not to make VB and VC++
>>cross-platform,
>I assume you mean from a "product will still be bought" perspective, not
>from a "they have enough cash anyway" perspective.

I mean it from a "MS could afford to package VB and VC++ in their
next OS release to make the OS more compatitive." perspective, but maybe I
am wrong there.

>>but if Ingres does not make delphi cross-platform, I don't
>>see much of a future for delphi.
>If MS can still make money from their non-cross platform development
>systems, then there will still be a market for Delphi.  If people are
>willing to use VB on a Win32 (or in the future Win64) network then there
>will be people who will use Delphi (as it is better <g>).

Delphi is a great product, and I would love to continue to use it, but at
the moment it means that every thing i have developed for the MS platform
needs to be written from the ground up when customers require a Unix/Linux
port, I can't re-use a single line of code. This is realy frustrating, and
at the moment means that I am making a big loss on recoding in order not
to lose customers. So for new projects I have no choice other than to use
java or C to reach a certain level of portability, eventhough i would
rather use delphi.

>I can't see how you think Delphi will die if MS can still produce Win-only
>development products.
>BTW, has anyone any thoughts on this VB to Java Development environment that
>is advertised in this months Developers Review??

A version of delphi that could compile to the JAVA platform would be I
think also an option to make delphi cross-platform, and help it become a
great cross-platform development tool.

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

In article <75lh28$9l...@xs2.xs4all.nl>
Rob J Meijer <rmei...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

[...]

> Delphi is a great product, and I would love to continue to use it, but at
> the moment it means that every thing i have developed for the MS platform
> needs to be written from the ground up when customers require a Unix/Linux
> port, I can't re-use a single line of code. This is realy frustrating, and
> at the moment means that I am making a big loss on recoding in order not
> to lose customers. So for new projects I have no choice other than to use
> java or C to reach a certain level of portability, eventhough i would
> rather use delphi.

If your product is not too closely bound to the forms designer, you might
want to keep an eye on FPC (FreePascal), which is developing greater
Delphi compatibility all the time.

Best regards, The Chief
----------------------------
Dr A{*word*73}la A Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
E-mail: la...@keele.ac.uk
Homepage: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro v4.71 for Win16 and Win32
    ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win3/install/chief471.zip

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

Rob J Meijer wrote in message <75lh28$9l...@xs2.xs4all.nl>...
>"Andy Jeffries" <ajeffr...@kwikrite.clara."no-spam".net> writes:

>>>more and more scarse. In my oppinion the only non-cross-platform
>>>development tools that have any change to survive are those made by
the
>>>platform manufacturers. MS can afford not to make VB and VC++
>>>cross-platform,

>>I assume you mean from a "product will still be bought" perspective,
not
>>from a "they have enough cash anyway" perspective.

>I mean it from a "MS could afford to package VB and VC++ in their
>next OS release to make the OS more compatitive." perspective, but
maybe I
>am wrong there.

Given their current legal troubles (specifically, over bundling IE4
into Win98), I would hope MS would think twice before doing such a
thing!

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

Dave Derrick wrote in message <75dfl3$1m...@pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>...
>There is little chance of getting Delphi for Linux. Linux may be getting to
>be a popular O/S, even among big business, but I dont think Inprise will be
>very interested....

A thought.

There are a few groups working on free object pascal clones, and one (whose
nameis Medigo but I can't get any further info, like a web site yet)
extending to a free delphi 2 clone for unix.  (And yes there are various
free libraries out there which emulate the whole of GDI and even load and
run (emulate) wintel DLL's!!!! (And the medigo plan includes COM)

Given that MS intend to turn windows into a subscription model by 2001, and
given that there is heavy work on a nice GUI for Linux, given that most
common office applications exist for Linux I predict Borland will be
interested and that they may go open source.

But even if they don't I also predict it wont matter, we'll have it anyway,
maybe a few years behind the Borland schedule, but we'll have it.

Sam

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

I don't think delphi for linux is all that far fetched,  All of the basic
framework is there already,  There are several pascal implementation on
linux,  the VCL source code is available,   there are several projects out
there to port the windows api to x-windows, there are many BDE replacements
out there also, and I have seen several freeware Delphi IDE look-alikes. I
know I am glossing over some hurdles but for, say, a "standard" ( read
limited to a subset of the VCL)  version of delphi, I don't think it would
be overwhelmingly difficult.

I know that what most people are refering to when they say Delphi for Linux
is Delphi by borland but I think that if it is going to be done at all it
will have to be by the Linux community.  Like most everything else they have
achieved.<g>

Doug Hill
p...@intplsrv.net
Power Tech Express Inc.

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

Exactly!

Doug Hill
p...@intplsrv.net
Power Tech Express Inc.

>A thought.

>There are a few groups working on free object pascal clones, and one (whose
>nameis Medigo but I can't get any further info, like a web site yet)
>extending to a free delphi 2 clone for unix.  (And yes there are various
>free libraries out there which emulate the whole of GDI and even load and
>run (emulate) wintel DLL's!!!! (And the medigo plan includes COM)

>Given that MS intend to turn windows into a subscription model by 2001, and
>given that there is heavy work on a nice GUI for Linux, given that most
>common office applications exist for Linux I predict Borland will be
>interested and that they may go open source.

>But even if they don't I also predict it wont matter, we'll have it anyway,
>maybe a few years behind the Borland schedule, but we'll have it.

>Sam

Re:Vote Delphi for Linux Now!

"Ing. Franz Glaser" <meg-gla...@eunet.at> writes:

> All the guys who blame MS do not recognize that it was and
> is the secret of MS' success to give the programmers the
> tools to make money on their OS. Linux is pretty, but it
> is not enough to give the tools for free, without the
> background to earn money. Because Linux users expect to
> get ALL programs for free or at least very cheap.

I don't expect to have every thing for free, but I expect that
programs are distributed under an Open Source license such as the
GPL. I would be willing to pay _once_ to have a tool like Delphi
ported to Unix. But I do not want to pay for the right to install it
every time I install it.

--
Laurent Martelli

Go to page: [1] [2]