Recreating dBase indexes, Delphi 1.0

Thanks for the replies last time but,I AM NOT USING PARADOX
TABLES/TUTILITY!!!

If an index is corrupt (as opposed to just out of date) does anyone know
how to recreate them programatically.

I cannot use a SQL/dbi function as I get a BDE error upon trying to open
the table to do so.  Database desktop has the option to detach a corrupt
index but I'm not sure how to recreate it myself...
I have found the binary bit in the header of the file and can read it -
but do not know how to write over it using Delphi/Pascal.

Any ideas? - Please eMail as it takes forever to load these newsgroups!
Much appreciated.