I hate that silly ANTISPAM!

Do not make other people angry with those silly
ANTISPAM tricks. I will no longer answer any
questions on NG when every second is returned
by the mailer demon!

Franz Glaser
http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser

Re:I hate that silly ANTISPAM!

Ing. Franz Glaser wrote:
> Do not make other people angry with those silly ANTISPAM tricks. I
> will no longer answer any questions on NG when every second is
> returned by the mailer demon!

The simple answer here is to POST your replies to the newsgroup where
everybody can read them.

Chris.

Chris Rankin schrieb:

> Ing. Franz Glaser wrote:
> > Do not make other people angry with those silly ANTISPAM tricks. I
> > will no longer answer any questions on NG when every second is
> > returned by the mailer demon!
> The simple answer here is to POST your replies to the newsgroup where
> everybody can read them.
> Chris.

Usually I do both. Sometimes I have to do other things and cannot read
the NG for days, so i am happy if i get a personal mail.
Regards,
Franz Glaser, Austria
http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser

Re:I hate that silly ANTISPAM!

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 17:33:59 +0100, "Ing. Franz Glaser"

<meg-gla...@eunet.at> wrote:
>Do not make other people angry with those silly
>ANTISPAM tricks. I will no longer answer any
>questions on NG when every second is returned
>by the mailer demon!

>Franz Glaser
>http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser

Im sorry if it makes you angry when we use the ANTISPAM trick
but some of us do use it for good reason.

I use it as here in the UK we pay by the minute on our phonecalls
Not like a lot of other countries.
It works out extremely expensive using the Internet for us here.
So using ANTISPAM helps to keep the cost down.

Also it was getting difficult to sort the few Emails that I wanted to
read from all the junk I was getting each day.
I post in a lot of newsgroups most days and before I started Using
ANTISPAM I was getting anything upto 30 junk emails a day...
as I post In quite a lot of newsgroups most days it wasnt unusual for
me to get several junk emails all identical.

Using ANTISPAM and changing my Email address is the only way I
Know to stop the junk. For me it has worked extremely well.

Im sorry if you disapprove but surely it is quicker and cheaper for
the sender of a message to slightly edit the email address than it is
for the reciever to have to download so much junk each day just to see
if he has a reply to one of his messages.

Mike Collins

crow...@cableinetANTISPAM.co.uk

remove ANTISPAM from my email address for my real address.

crow...@cableinetANTISPAM.co.uk wrote:
> Im sorry if it makes you angry when we use the ANTISPAM trick
> but some of us do use it for good reason.

Well, it was a quick shot. I did the work to write an answer and the
daemon returned it, so i was angry. I can understand your arguments
very good. In the future i will have a closer look at the address.
Cheers,
Franz Glaser, Austria

Ing. Franz Glaser wrote:
> Do not make other people angry with those silly
> ANTISPAM tricks. I will no longer answer any
> questions on NG when every second is returned
> by the mailer demon!

Personally, I'm really not fond of it either even though of late I'd finally
decided to implement it.  I tried to do it in the least obtrusive way
possible, though:  One character to create an invalid domain (to avoid
potentially causing spam mail to be sent to some unwitting user with a similar
ident), and making it clear in my signature.  Also, as a courtesy (and because
I use a different program for primary e-mail), I make no attempt to disguise
my address in replies to private mail.

IMHO, most replies serve the benefit of the public, and replying to the group
and do well just to be posted to the group, with Cc:'s to the occasional
person who's having problems with an ornery newsfeed.

I think with bulk mailing and other spam clogging the wires these days, most
people who've been around for a little while have come to realize that spam is
a reality, and that spam foiling is a reality too.  I think most of us who use
foiling would much rather have less {*word*99} in our mailboxes to wade through than
worry about making one or two people unhappy.

If you don't have any problems with junkmail, consider yourself extremely
lucky.  For me, it's cut down (though not eliminated) the junk I get.  But if
you have any better solutions to this ongoing problem, I'd be glad to hear.
Your e-mail reply is welcome, though I don't plan to hedge any bets on it
coming.  ;-)

> Franz Glaser
> http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser

Re:I hate that silly ANTISPAM!

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:22:19 +0100, "Ing. Franz Glaser"

<meg-gla...@eunet.at> wrote:
>crow...@cableinetANTISPAM.co.uk wrote:

>> Im sorry if it makes you angry when we use the ANTISPAM trick
>> but some of us do use it for good reason.

>Well, it was a quick shot. I did the work to write an answer and the
>daemon returned it, so i was angry. I can understand your arguments
>very good. In the future i will have a closer look at the address.
>Cheers,
>Franz Glaser, Austria
>http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser

No worries mate..
Personally I dont like having to use it
If I could find another way of stopping the spam i would
I have tried adding all the addresses to the filters etc but well
there are millions of spammers out there and to include them all i
reckon i would need a rather large hd just for the filters...

anyway thanks for understanding I hope anyone else who hates
people like me using ANTISPAM now understands a bit as well.

Ing. Franz Glaser wrote:
> crow...@cableinetANTISPAM.co.uk wrote:

> > Im sorry if it makes you angry when we use the ANTISPAM trick
> > but some of us do use it for good reason.

> Well, it was a quick shot. I did the work to write an answer and the
> daemon returned it, so i was angry. I can understand your arguments
> very good. In the future i will have a closer look at the address.

Occasionally, this has happened to me when I don't check carefully, or if an
e-mail address has a typo in it.  Since the error message is almost always
returned with a copy of what you sent in the first place, it's usually easy to
copy the content of the original message, check the e-mail address again to
make sure it's correct, then start a new message and pasting the copied body
back into.  Usually only takes me about two minutes tops to fix, and it
certainly saves on having to entirely rewrite the message.  :-)

> Cheers,
> Franz Glaser, Austria
> http://members.eunet.at/meg-glaser

Re:I hate that silly ANTISPAM!

[Although this is no longer on topic, I just had to mention it...]

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:58:15 GMT, crow...@cableinetANTISPAM.co.uk wrote:

[...]

>If I could find another way of stopping the spam i would
>I have tried adding all the addresses to the filters etc but well
>there are millions of spammers out there and to include them all i
>reckon i would need a rather large hd just for the filters...

First possibility: Use an e-Mail forwarder like gmx.net and use this
address in your Usenet-postings. Responses via e-Mail will be sent to
gmx first. There, mail from known spammers (they have a rather large hd
just for the filters ;) is automatically filtered and the rest will be
sent to your real e-Mail address.

Second possibility: 98% of junk e-Mail I receive hasn't got my valid
eMail-address in the "From:"- or "CC:"-header. Just make sure you filter
out messages from mailing-lists first and then delete the rest (which
hasn't got your address in the header) using a program like ScanMail.
That should be very effective and not annoy anyone.

>anyway thanks for understanding I hope anyone else who hates
>people like me using ANTISPAM now understands a bit as well.

Although all your arguments are well known and you also have to pay per
minute over here, it is common practice among the regulars in many
German newsgroups to killfile everybody who uses an invalid address. Not
giving your real eMail-address in the "From:"-header means that you give
up a great medium (ie e-Mail) because of some antisocial elements (aka
"SPAMers").

Take care,
        Thomas Schultz
--
"Some people say I'm crazy / doing what I'm doing."
                                  -- "Watching the wheels" (John Lennon)

Other Threads