Email agent and Web browser for DOS - please help

Hi everyone,

Can anybody point me in the right direction please?
I am developing a suite of software for my blind friend.

This should run on a small DOS-based PC (Windows are not really
suitable for blind people) and I would like to include email
and text-only Web browser. Ideally, I would like to get access
to some source code to modify it and integrate with my talking
user-interface software.

We are even happy to pay for it (but please note that neither my
friend nor I are especially rich). I would also appreciate some
pointers as to where to get information how to write an email agent
and Web browser. While I have a long programing experience and
electronics engineering background, I know preciously little about
TCP/IP and the command structure of email and Web browsing.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Peter Newman
apo...@world.net

Re:Email agent and Web browser for DOS - please help

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Peter Newman wrote:
> Can anybody point me in the right direction please?
> I am developing a suite of software for my blind friend.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume you are looking to feed the text-only
output into a device driver that does text-to-speech, or sometihng along those
lines (a voder).

If that is the case, you need a text-only browser.  DOSLynx would be your best
bet, but it's written under one of Borland's Turbo Vision incarnations.  Those
use direct-to-video screen writes unless you explicitly force them not to.

It would be a simple (1-2 weeks' programming time, for someone completely
familiar with the Turbo Vision interface) to redirect all the text output to
stdout, so that the program could be redirected to a voder.  There's a few (my
memory fades after all these years) function calls such as TWindow::write(char
*text) that would need to be rewritten to make that work.

It would be a very interesting challenge to make the interface work.  I think
something that just read off the text of the page would be a good place to
start.  If it said something like "graphic, title is <whatever>" (<hatever>
being the ALT= text string), and announced links as "link #11 <text of link>
endlink #11", then I think it could be made to work.  The user would then type
in "11" to follow that link, for example.  All those hooks ought to be in
DOSLynx (the same function calls that start the highlighted text for a link
could be made to announce the link, etc.), but then you are starting to talk
some serious programming time.  It would take a few months to work all the bugs
out of the interface, at the very least.

It's an interesting project, though.  I'd love to take a stab at it.  But I'm
afraid I can no longer afford unfunded forays into these things.  Even with
respectable funding, I don't think I could spare the time from my commercial
projects.

There probably IS funding for this sort of thing.  Hunt down the funding, and
they'll probably hook you up with whoever is currently working on the project.
You might not get to participate, but at least you'd be that much closer to the
solution.  If the solution is rotten, then at least you can incorporate any
good ideas they had into your own efforts.  Tracking down the funding is
definitely the place to start.

Peter Newman wrote:

> Hi everyone,

> Can anybody point me in the right direction please?
> I am developing a suite of software for my blind friend.

> This should run on a small DOS-based PC (Windows are not really
> suitable for blind people) and I would like to include email
> and text-only Web browser. Ideally, I would like to get access
> to some source code to modify it and integrate with my talking
> user-interface software.

> We are even happy to pay for it (but please note that neither my
> friend nor I are especially rich). I would also appreciate some
> pointers as to where to get information how to write an email agent
> and Web browser. While I have a long programing experience and
> electronics engineering background, I know preciously little about
> TCP/IP and the command structure of email and Web browsing.

> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

> Many thanks
> Peter Newman
> apo...@world.net

There is a text-based browser called Lynx; it might be what you're
looking for.  For a 386+, its still in development, but you can get the
most current version, source code (to be compiled using DJGPP), and
information at

http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm

There is a web site about DOS email at

http://www.komaromi.com/dos-email

It has links to obtain software as well as a tutorial about actually
setting it up. I hope this helps.

--
.--.
|__| .-------.  Kevin Kreamer
|__|~')_____('

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997 11:23:22 GMT, apo...@world.net (Peter Newman) wrote:
> Hi everyone,

> Can anybody point me in the right direction please?
> I am developing a suite of software for my blind friend.

> This should run on a small DOS-based PC (Windows are not really
> suitable for blind people) and I would like to include email
> and text-only Web browser. Ideally, I would like to get access
> to some source code to modify it and integrate with my talking
> user-interface software.

Just an idea: There is such a suite, called Net-Tamer: support for
text-to-speech, DOS, small.

I don't have the URL handy, but it is available on SimTel. If you can't
find it, drop me a line and I'll see whether I still can find the URL.

Kurt
--
  K...@pinboard.com      http://www.pinboard.com/        business
                         http://www.pinboard.com/kurt/   private

wrote:

>Hi everyone,

>Can anybody point me in the right direction please?
>I am developing a suite of software for my blind friend.

>This should run on a small DOS-based PC (Windows are not really
>suitable for blind people) and I would like to include email
>and text-only Web browser. Ideally, I would like to get access
>to some source code to modify it and integrate with my talking
>user-interface software.

>We are even happy to pay for it (but please note that neither my
>friend nor I are especially rich). I would also appreciate some
>pointers as to where to get information how to write an email agent
>and Web browser. While I have a long programing experience and
>electronics engineering background, I know preciously little about
>TCP/IP and the command structure of email and Web browsing.

>Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

>Many thanks
>Peter Newman
>apo...@world.net

try looking here: