Oracle varchar2 fields longer than 255

Has anyone heard of known problems with BDE 5.11 and oracle 8.1.5 regarding
VARCHAR2 fields longer than 255 characters?

Thanks, Ronald Ruijs

Re:Oracle varchar2 fields longer than 255

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:27:20 +0200, "Ronald Ruijs" <ru...@rvc.nl>
wrote:

>Has anyone heard of known problems with BDE 5.11 and oracle 8.1.5 regarding
>VARCHAR2 fields longer than 255 characters?

Hi Ronald,

I haven't any direct experience of Oracle through the BDE, but
certainly with DB2, any text fields longer than 255 characters
automatically get regarded as BLObs even if they're not (e.g. DB2's
LONG VARCHAR type, and it's VARCHAR which can go up to 4000 chars).

However - I'm not 100% sure it's the BDE, it might be the ODBC
driver... I'll just try something...

Yup - it's the BDE. I just created a little test table with a
VARCHAR(600) type in it. When connecting through BDE via ODBC the
field comes out as a TMemoField, when connecting with mODBC (skips the
BDE and uses ODBC directly) it comes out as a TStringField.

I doubt this would confined to BDE 5.11 though, looks more like
generic behaviour, so I'm not sure if this is what you were referring
to - could you expand on what particular problem you're having?

HTH, Dave.
--
Dave Hughes
EMail : d...@waveform.f9.co.uk

Re:Oracle varchar2 fields longer than 255

Hi Dave,

Thanks for helping! My problem is tha I can't read those fields at all. When
the fields are made smaller, no problem.

Best regards, Ronald

"Dave Hughes" <d...@waveform.f9.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:27:20 +0200, "Ronald Ruijs" <ru...@rvc.nl>
> wrote:

> >Has anyone heard of known problems with BDE 5.11 and oracle 8.1.5
regarding
> >VARCHAR2 fields longer than 255 characters?

> Hi Ronald,

> I haven't any direct experience of Oracle through the BDE, but
> certainly with DB2, any text fields longer than 255 characters
> automatically get regarded as BLObs even if they're not (e.g. DB2's
> LONG VARCHAR type, and it's VARCHAR which can go up to 4000 chars).

> However - I'm not 100% sure it's the BDE, it might be the ODBC
> driver... I'll just try something...

> Yup - it's the BDE. I just created a little test table with a
> VARCHAR(600) type in it. When connecting through BDE via ODBC the
> field comes out as a TMemoField, when connecting with mODBC (skips the
> BDE and uses ODBC directly) it comes out as a TStringField.

> I doubt this would confined to BDE 5.11 though, looks more like
> generic behaviour, so I'm not sure if this is what you were referring
> to - could you expand on what particular problem you're having?

> HTH, Dave.
> --
> Dave Hughes
> EMail : d...@waveform.f9.co.uk

Re:Oracle varchar2 fields longer than 255

Are you using ODBC or SqlLinks?

Re:Oracle varchar2 fields longer than 255

I had heard of some problems with ODBC.  The BDE with Oracle 8i seems a
total mess.  I've switched to Direct Oracle Access
(www.Allroundautomations.nl) and it works very well.

John Pierce

Other Threads