Help - I'm really stuck

Hi folks
I have an isapi dll on an IIS5 web server, using ibx and ib 6.1.
It works great, however...... it suddenly stops working, without warning or
reason.

I have a login screen (/login). When someone tries to login it sends their
request to the dll which then runs a query to find out if their credentials
are correct. If they are it redirects them to the menu (/menu). If not it
sends them back to /login and displays an error (within the html).
However, every few days (sometimes once a day, sometimes once a week), it
will not let anyone go past the login screen. It keeps coming back with the
error message saying their login credentials are wrong.
I would expect to get a "page cannot be displayed" message if the dll had
crashed, but this returns the page with the error, as if the user does not
exist.
I know it would be hard to advise me on exactly what to do but could anyone
point me in the right direction. I am using Omni on my PC and do not know
how to go about re-creating a problem which happens with such low frequency.

Thanks for any advice.

William

Re:Help - I'm really stuck

For this kind of bug (not easily reproduceable), I made a trace() function
that log the dll activity into a text file.  I send everything to this text
file, normal behavior, exceptions and other, with the DateTime of the event.
Then it is easier to point the problem.

I suppose there is an exception occuring in code.  Put everything in a big
Try except and send to a text file the Exception message.

--
Frederic Gelinas
www.si.qc.ca

> Hi folks
> I have an isapi dll on an IIS5 web server, using ibx and ib 6.1.
> It works great, however...... it suddenly stops working, without warning
or
> reason.

> I have a login screen (/login). When someone tries to login it sends their
> request to the dll which then runs a query to find out if their
credentials
> are correct. If they are it redirects them to the menu (/menu). If not it
> sends them back to /login and displays an error (within the html).
> However, every few days (sometimes once a day, sometimes once a week), it
> will not let anyone go past the login screen. It keeps coming back with
the
> error message saying their login credentials are wrong.
> I would expect to get a "page cannot be displayed" message if the dll had
> crashed, but this returns the page with the error, as if the user does not
> exist.
> I know it would be hard to advise me on exactly what to do but could
anyone
> point me in the right direction. I am using Omni on my PC and do not know
> how to go about re-creating a problem which happens with such low
frequency.

> Thanks for any advice.

> William

Re:Help - I'm really stuck

Hello william,

First, always add debugg/log messages to your code.
If i'm right you have an "error.html" (or something) output when the
user couldn't login.
So if this is generated by the isapi.dll then the isapi.dll isn't crashed ?
And i assume  /login is your default-path.

Do you connect everytime again to the database when a user logs on or do
you have 1 connection (or more) which is always connect ?.

Greetz,
Arno

William Buchanan wrote:
>Hi folks
>I have an isapi dll on an IIS5 web server, using ibx and ib 6.1.
>It works great, however...... it suddenly stops working, without warning or
>reason.

>I have a login screen (/login). When someone tries to login it sends their
>request to the dll which then runs a query to find out if their credentials
>are correct. If they are it redirects them to the menu (/menu). If not it
>sends them back to /login and displays an error (within the html).
>However, every few days (sometimes once a day, sometimes once a week), it
>will not let anyone go past the login screen. It keeps coming back with the
>error message saying their login credentials are wrong.
>I would expect to get a "page cannot be displayed" message if the dll had
>crashed, but this returns the page with the error, as if the user does not
>exist.
>I know it would be hard to advise me on exactly what to do but could anyone
>point me in the right direction. I am using Omni on my PC and do not know
>how to go about re-creating a problem which happens with such low frequency.

>Thanks for any advice.

>William

Re:Help - I'm really stuck

> If i'm right you have an "error.html" (or something) output when the
> user couldn't login.

Not quite - I have the /login page with the error message added in.

> So if this is generated by the isapi.dll then the isapi.dll isn't crashed
?
> And i assume  /login is your default-path.

Yes

> Do you connect everytime again to the database when a user logs on or do
> you have 1 connection (or more) which is always connect ?.

I have 1 connection which is always connected.

Thanks for your time

William

> William Buchanan wrote:

> >Hi folks
> >I have an isapi dll on an IIS5 web server, using ibx and ib 6.1.
> >It works great, however...... it suddenly stops working, without warning
or
> >reason.

> >I have a login screen (/login). When someone tries to login it sends
their
> >request to the dll which then runs a query to find out if their
credentials
> >are correct. If they are it redirects them to the menu (/menu). If not it
> >sends them back to /login and displays an error (within the html).
> >However, every few days (sometimes once a day, sometimes once a week), it
> >will not let anyone go past the login screen. It keeps coming back with
the
> >error message saying their login credentials are wrong.
> >I would expect to get a "page cannot be displayed" message if the dll had
> >crashed, but this returns the page with the error, as if the user does
not
> >exist.
> >I know it would be hard to advise me on exactly what to do but could
anyone
> >point me in the right direction. I am using Omni on my PC and do not know
> >how to go about re-creating a problem which happens with such low
frequency.

> >Thanks for any advice.

> >William

Other Threads