ODBC vs. BDE datasource and InstallShield Express

I am about to distribute an application and created an installation
procedure with InstallShield Express.  My apps requires an ODBC data
source to connect to ACCESS (I use the *.mdb driver).

I thought the BDE alias you define with InstallShield Express is
equivalent to a DSN data source, but this does not seem to be the
case.  The BDE alias gets created, but when I start up the apps, I get
the following error:

EDBEngineError, Invalid Configuration Parameter!

When I use the ODBC administrator and manually create an appropriate
alias, everything works as expected.

Can anyone shed some light on my problem, and suggest a solution?
Greatly appreciate your help

regards Chris

Re:ODBC vs. BDE datasource and InstallShield Express

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:24:33 +1000, "Chris Birmele" <birm...@ibm.net>
wrote:

>I thought the BDE alias you define with InstallShield Express is
>equivalent to a DSN data source, but this does not seem to be the
>case.  The BDE alias gets created, but when I start up the apps, I get
>the following error:

Chris, you must install ODBC, and use the ODBC Wizard to create a DSN. BDE
will then automatically pick up the DSN and make it available to you.

Stefan
InstallShield Software Corp.

Re:ODBC vs. BDE datasource and InstallShield Express

Thanks for your reply.

Surely the creation of an ODBC DSN should be transparent to the user,
and be
performed as part of the install procedure.  Can InstallShield do this
(or is there any other solution)?

Thanks, Chris

Re:ODBC vs. BDE datasource and InstallShield Express

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:01:37 +1000, "Chris Birmele" <birm...@ibm.net>
wrote:

>performed as part of the install procedure.  Can InstallShield do this
>(or is there any other solution)?

Yes it can, by selecting the ODBC object in the Express Objects for Delphi
(the second "big" checklist entry). It allows you to choose a User DSN
already on your system, and then configure it to be installed either as
System DSN or User DSN.

If you are using Express for Delphi4, there is no ODBC support in the
product. Express 2.04 does have ODBC/DAO support.

Stefan
InstallShield Software Corp.

Other Threads