cant find missing DLL: windows 95 versus windows 3.11 problem???

Hello

recently, I wrote a little Delphi-application which runs perfect on my
Windows 95 PC, but won't run on the PC of my customer (he uses Windows
3.11).
When starting the programm an error occurred that a component or a
library is missing.
I have used a Link-Inspector to get a list of the used DLLs but I am not
able to "find" the missing DLL.

Below is a list of the used DLLs:

        handidde.dll
        shell.dll
        ddeml
        commdlg
        kernel
        toolhelp
        gdi
        user
        keyboard
        win87em

Except the first dLL, all DLLs listed above are shipped with a
Windows-Installation.

Is it possible that the error-message is the result of a conflict of
different DLL-version (Windows 95 version versus Windows 3.11
versions)???

Who can help, as my customer is getting more and more angry due to the
delay

Matthias Homann

Re:cant find missing DLL: windows 95 versus windows 3.11 problem???

Matthias Homann wrote:

> Hello

> recently, I wrote a little Delphi-application which runs perfect on my
> Windows 95 PC, but won't run on the PC of my customer (he uses Windows
> 3.11).
> When starting the programm an error occurred that a component or a
> library is missing.
> I have used a Link-Inspector to get a list of the used DLLs but I am not
> able to "find" the missing DLL.

A couple things might be wrong.  You might of loaded a VBX to your application
and deleted it later and you didn't remove the name in the uses clause.
Another thing that happend to me was that an application uses OLE Automation with
Microsoft Word and in the Computer that I loaded it didn't have Word installed and when
I loaded the application it did all the OLE initialization at the execution of
my program and I thought it did it later when I did some OLE calls to Word.

Also, is it a database app?  You might be missing some database dlls.

Hope this helps,

Ruben Ramirez wrote:

> A couple things might be wrong.  You might of loaded a VBX to your application
> and deleted it later and you didn't remove the name in the uses clause.
> Another thing that happend to me was that an application uses OLE Automation with
> Microsoft Word and in the Computer that I loaded it didn't have Word installed and when
> I loaded the application it did all the OLE initialization at the execution of
> my program and I thought it did it later when I did some OLE calls to Word.

> Also, is it a database app?  You might be missing some database dlls.

> Hope this helps,

Fortunately after posting a message in a delphi-forum in compuserve someone sent me the
solution:

When using static linking for DLLs in 16-bit application the name of the dll must be
given without the extension i.e. "libxyz" instead of "libxyz.dll". Windows 95 has no
problems resolving the extension, but Win 3.11 doesn't find DLLs when the in the
filename the extension ".dll" is included ....

Regard
Matthias

Other Threads