New User's perceived sql2000 connectivity problem

> I was planning to purchase Delphi Pro to learn with and build a fairly
large
> c/s app on my own and on spec. However, I was troubled to learn that Pro
> doesn't ship with any native M$SQL drivers in the BDE; from what I
> understand is required for all DB connectivity. And the enterprise edition
> just isn't an option at this moment...$$$!

You'd be better off with Delphi Pro + the ADO addon than Delphi Enterprise
which contains SQL drivers that only work with the obsolete DB-Lib SQL
server interface and also require the huge and painful BDE.  ADO is the
latest microsoft standard for database access.

-Mike

Re:New User's perceived sql2000 connectivity problem

Hello,

I was planning to purchase Delphi Pro to learn with and build a fairly large
c/s app on my own and on spec. However, I was troubled to learn that Pro
doesn't ship with any native M$SQL drivers in the BDE; from what I
understand is required for all DB connectivity. And the enterprise edition
just isn't an option at this moment...$$$!

I would like to get a jump start here on figuring out what some of my
connectivity options are before going down the many different paths of
research as they relate to what exactly I am trying to do.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Michael Williams wrote:

> You'd be better off with Delphi Pro + the ADO addon than Delphi Enterprise
> which contains SQL drivers that only work with the obsolete DB-Lib SQL
> server interface and also require the huge and painful BDE.  ADO is the
> latest microsoft standard for database access.

Actually, Enterprise contains the ADO drivers, but I agree with your
recommendation unless one needs some of the other features of Enterprise.

John Pierce

Other Threads