Oracle Functions Do Not Function In D7 (and dbExpress)

ORACLE functions are not supported. We have plans to fix  some critical
issues/bugs like this.

T.Ramesh.

"Jessie Potts" <jpo...@ANTISPAMatgi.net> wrote in message

> Please prove me wrong.

> My Details:
> -----------
> Win2K (sp3)
> Delphi Enterprise 7.0 (Build 4.453)
> Oracle 8.1.7

> I'm attempting to upgrade an application to D7.  In the process I'm
> trying to utilize dbExpress to eliminate my reliance on a set of 3rd
> party tools for Oracle database connectivity (never did care for the BDE).

> In doing so, I've come across an issue I cannot get past.  I cannot seem
> to get dbExpress to correctly return an Oracle function value.
> I do, however, receive an EDatabaseError with the Message value of:

> ORA-06550: line 1, column 7:
> PLS-00306: wrong number or types of arguments in call to '<FUNCTION>'
> ORA-06550: line 1, column 7:
> PL/SQL: Statement ignored

> I've seen previous postings about this issue with regard to D6.  In
> Quality Central I've found Report Number 1906 which describes this issue
> for D6 but has been closed and, according to Craig Stuntz, was fixed in
> build 7.0.4.453 (which, unless I just haven't had enough coffee today,
> appears to be the build version I have).

> Here's the PL/SQL of the simple Oracle function I was using for my test:
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION TEST_NUMBER
> RETURN NUMBER
> IS
> BEGIN
>   RETURN 1;
> END;

> Do duplicate the rest of my test, in Delphi:
> 1. Create a new project
> 2. Drop a TSQLConnection, a TSQLStoredProc, and a TButton on the form.
> 3. Configure the TSQLConnection to connect to the Oracle DB and Schema
> where the above function exists.
> 4. Specify the TSQLStoredProc.SQLConnection property value as the
> SQLConnection component.
> 5. Specify the TSQLStoredProc.StorecProcName as TEST_NUMBER
> 6. Add an OnClick event handler to the TButton with the code
> "SQLStoredProc.ExecProc;".
> 7. Run the app, click the button.

> Can someone please tell me I've just had a brain fart and that all I
> need to do is... < fill in intelligent answer here >

> Thank you much for any help you can provide :)

> P.S.  Please keep in mind that this is just a simple example.  Many of
> the actual functions (there are *many*) cannot be called in a SELECT
> statement.  Also, converting them all to stored procedures is *not* an
> option.  Thanks again.

Re:Oracle Functions Do Not Function In D7 (and dbExpress)

Ramesh Theivendran wrote:
> ORACLE functions are not supported.

That's too bad

...but thanks for the response :)

Re:Oracle Functions Do Not Function In D7 (and dbExpress)

I guess an easy work around might be to wrap a function with SP and use it.
I haven't personally tried it. Anyway we consider these as a serious
limitation and are planning  to address in the next release/update.

> Ramesh Theivendran wrote:
> > ORACLE functions are not supported. We have plans to fix  some critical
> > issues/bugs like this.

> By the way, is there some documentation somewhere which states that
> dbExpress's Oracle support is only partial?

> Looking in the README.TXT file shipped with D7, I could find nothing on
> this topic.

> It sure would've been nice to see a list of what the tools limitations
> were before I spent hours trying to figure out what *I* was doing wrong.

> The README.TXT file *does* state that dbExpress is certified for use
> with Oracle 9i.  Without making assumptions about what "certified"
> means, if I were to talk my DBA into upgrading our database to 9i, would
> the Oracle functions then function through dbExpress as I would hope?

Re:Oracle Functions Do Not Function In D7 (and dbExpress)

Any chance in releasing some of these fixes as open beta so we don't
have to wait another 3 months for additional fixes.  It would be nice
to get all the major bugs the first time around.

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software

http://www.bss-software.com