Re: Spam after registering

2005-02-10 01:13:22 AM
delphi127
Anders Ohlsson (Borland) writes:
I have a gmail account that noone knows of, and that I have never
used.

Guess what... It has a ton of spam in it...
No one, eh?
bwa ha ha ha ha! <eg>
-Brion

Re: Spam after registering

In article <420917cb$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
"Chris Harvey" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>I have a new and private email address which I give to very few people.
>Unfortunatley I gave this out this address when registering Delphi 2005 and
>within 24 hours I was receiving a lot of spam and phish e.g. asking me to
>verify my nonexitent PayPal account. I was spam free before this. Has
>anyone else started recieving spam after registering Delphi? Or is this
>just a coincidence?

It might well be a coincidence... I set up a gmail account a couple of
months ago. Only my girlfriend knew about it, yet I have never used that
account apart from a couple of times at the very beginning to test that
everything was working ok.

A few days ago, I checked my gmail account and guess what... some spam was
waiting for me... I don't think Google resells e-mail accounts, do they? So,
the only other possible solution is that there are some smart asses who just
try combinations of e-mail addresses and see how it goes...

et all:
If your email is easily guessed, say a combination of your name and
number, it could be done thorugh what is commonly known as a dictionary
attack.
Spammers have software that builds a database of addresses using any
number of combinations of characters.
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
and so on until they come up with your combination.
This is very common and the reason why you should come up with an
address that is difficult to guess. And NEVER, NEVER use it on the web,
especially in the newsgroups. I have had a gmail account for over a year
and it has gotten exactly 0 spam. I created a bogus hotmail account with
a very easily guessable name and I had spam within one hour.

Re: Spam after registering

In article <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
Ben Hochstrasser writes:

>Yeuch. An Open Relay?

Its possible.. Ive certainly had mail trying to come from a borland
server but to an address thats not on my domain, so its certainly
coming via a spammer.. let me dig one out..

Nope, I dont think they are.. I think its just some moron being a fool.
Either that or my spam stuff has happily been rejecting a job offer
from borland :P

XXXX@XXXXX.COM has been tryign to send me emails via an IP that
doesnt traceroute to anything obviously borland, but, heck I could be
wrong.

So, sorry if I scared the borland security team, Im guessing as the IP
range is wildly differen to the mx record, its not likely to be borland.

Post the headers and I;'ll help you find the culprit.

Re: Spam after registering

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:27:07 -0500, "Chris Harvey"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote to :
I have a new and private email address which I give to very few people.
Unfortunatley I gave this out this address when registering Delphi 2005 and
within 24 hours I was receiving a lot of spam and phish e.g. asking me to
verify my nonexitent PayPal account. I was spam free before this. Has anyone
else started recieving spam after registering Delphi? Or is this just a
coincidence?

I don't think this is a coincidence. EVRY TIME I register on a site
(for access or to register a new software purchase), even well-known
sites that take great pride in claiming they don't sell your email
to anyone, I get spam the very next day.

Re: Spam after registering

Please check out spamgourmet.com.

Re: Spam after registering

Dan writes:
I don't think this is a coincidence.
As I have already said, in the case of registering with Borland, it is.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re: Spam after registering

Except as it relates to BorCon.
After attending BorCon in 2003, I started getting spam from Sys-Con. I never
went to their booth nor had them scan my badge. I have used the "remove me"
link and their "remove me from all lists" link in the messages numerous
times, and yet over a year later, I am still getting spam from them.
After BorCon 2004, I started getting spam from Sys-Con on my new
(unpublished) e-mail address.
I don't believe it is a coincidence. Sys-Con must be getting an attendee list
and they are using it to spam.
Henri
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Henri Fournier writes:
Except as it relates to BorCon.
I am investigating.
--

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
Henri Fournier writes:

>Except as it relates to BorCon.

I am investigating.
I was told that BorCon attendance lists were released to exhibitors
for at least that BorCon.
-Brion

Re: Spam after registering

In article <4211357c$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
As I have already said, in the case of registering with Borland, it is.
However, don't trust the exhibitors at the conference...
--
-David

Re: Spam after registering

Daniel writes:
I was
responding to registering in general.
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification, and sorry if I misunderstood the
context.