Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

2005-08-17 05:59:19 AM
delphi151
At 23:56:52, 16.08.2005, Brian Moelk writes:
>If he really wanted to, I am sure he would have quite some success with
>it, especially since he would have great backup.

Yeah right. Backup from who? Mr. Arnold? Mr. Fuller?
The user base. After all, Borland must sell their products to those
people.
>But he wants to play
>with the big boys, and increase the value of Borland by cutting off
>the slack (as I think he sees it).

I think it is Mr. Arnold that wants to play with the big boys.
And according to the quotes, so does Coates.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

>That's funny, I am a fan of money and Delphi. Are these things mutually
>exclusive in your mind?

You are a developer, your livelihood (partly) depends on Delphi. Coates
is not a developer, and he can make more money WITHOUT Delphi.
If that is what you truly believe then you don't believe in Delphi at all.
>Who knows what Mr. Coates is thinking. I am going to wait for his plan.

Wait all you like. I don't see Coates having anything in mind but his own
interest, and I can not say I have ever seen him favour Delphi.
Talk to Steve Teixeira and the other people who actually *know* Mr. Coates.
If you feel the same afterwards, fine. But I prefer not to vilify the guy
before seeing his plan.

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

My apologies! From everything else I have read I never got that
impression...
No problem. Now tell Rudy that.

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
>Again agreed. But there seems to be a fairly clear position in the
>article of Borland's stance to favour the ALM strategy at the expense
>of the other non-strategic ones (including Delphi).
>
>Did you also get that understanding, or was it my interpretation?
It was perhaps the interpretation the author got from his talks with
Arnold. Since there are hardly any quotes, we can only guess what Arnold
actually said.
There was a conference call one or two weeks ago were the keywords ALM
and Delphi were mentioned in a ratio of about 1 gazillion to zero.
Of course, this must be a diversionary action for the highly secret Area
51 Delphi operation in which Hejlsberg - who turned out to be spying on
Microsoft the whole time - together with Thorpe is working on new Delphi
developments so revolutionary that the whole software development world
will be stunned by amazement.
And some were asking why Borland did not bring out a roadmap...
Jan Derk

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Coates wants to split off Delphi, a product bringing revenue. Like I
said: he owns Borland stock, not Delphi stock.
Looking for the "Delphi Stock" symbol.......

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

The user base. After all, Borland must sell their products to those
people.
LOL. If the Delphi user base could change anything it would have already
happened.
And according to the quotes, so does Coates.
Let's agree to not discuss this point any further since we are making no
progress here. You are free to believe whatever you want to about Mr.
Coates. I will reserve my judgement until I see his specific plan (if I
have the priviledge of actually seeing it, as I am not a huge investor or
anything).

At 00:03:53, 17.08.2005, Brian Moelk writes:
>All the doom and gloom stories, here as well as in the press, have
>always sounded so corroborated, and were always so wrong. The 2ndQ
>results seem to have made people a little nervous, and I don't see
>more evidence than the fact that one shareholder is trying to split
>up the company to his own advantage.

No, there is certainly more evidence as it is what Borland themselves
are saying that is the cause of the "gloom and doom". In the past,
except for Inprise, Borland has always been committed to and focused on
the developer.
What have Borland been saying lately then? The fact that they focus on
one part of their business in marketing does not necessarily mean they
neglect the rest. It seems that Arnold is well aware of the fact that
Delphi is a big part of their income.
When Kylix was announced, and aggressively marketed, people also
announced the Death of Delphi and Borland, just becasue the focus was not
on Delphi at that time. It seems patience is not something people seem to
value anymore.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything,

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

The best thing we could do is stop buying Delphi. If it is no longer a
cash cow, then they won't want to keep it.
Like someone else said, I don't want to fund Borland's ALM play.
Brian Moelk writes:
>Not good news for the 64-bit lobby, as long as Borland keeps control of
>Delphi.

I agree, that is not good news in terms of a Delphi 64-bit native compiler.

>There is a hope. Arnold is clearly just waiting for the right offer.

I don't know if I would go that far, but he's certainly open to the idea. This
to me, says that he does not really view Delphi as an integral part to their
long term strategy.

--
Brian Moelk
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

At 00:06:30, 17.08.2005, Brian Moelk writes:
>The user base. After all, Borland must sell their products to those
>people.

LOL. If the Delphi user base could change anything it would have
already happened.
I think the Delphi user base is constantly changing things. Where do you
think Borland gets their ideas for new features and new technologies?
I will reserve my judgement until I see his specific plan (if I
have the priviledge of actually seeing it, as I am not a huge investor or
anything).
Coates seems to be fond of press releases. If he wants to move things,
and since he claims to have contacts in the board, I wonder why he
communicates via press releases, instead of in private?
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which

>Coates wants to split off Delphi, a product bringing revenue. Like I
>said: he owns Borland stock, not Delphi stock.

Looking for the "Delphi Stock" symbol.......
I guess shares would have been a better word. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho

Thomas Miller writes:

The best thing we could do is stop buying Delphi. If it is no longer a
cash cow, then they won't want to keep it.
And no one will want to buy it.
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB) On waves of silver I dreamed of gold
(Please do not email 'Till I lost the peace that dreaming gives

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

"Rudy Velthuis [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
At 00:06:30, 17.08.2005, Brian Moelk writes:

I wonder why he communicates via press releases, instead of in private?
What makes you think he doesn't communicate in private?
Have you ever played poker?

At 00:12:27, 17.08.2005, Thomas Miller writes:
The best thing we could do is stop buying Delphi. If it is no longer a
cash cow, then they won't want to keep it.
<sarcasm>
Yeah, I can see how the best way to support Delphi is not buying it...
</sarcasm>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."

Re: Borland Interim CEO Outlines Strategy

Brian Moelk writes:

No doubt Coates could end up killing Delphi; but from what I have heard
he's a fan of Delphi.
Then you have not researched him *at all*; he is only a fan of causing the
stock price to move around while he alternately shorts and longs it.
Working for yourself is great because you get to work half days, and
you can choose any twelve hours you want.

>At 00:06:30, 17.08.2005, Brian Moelk writes:
>

>I wonder why he communicates via press releases, instead of in
>private?

What makes you think he doesn't communicate in private?
Have you ever played poker?
I said "instead". If one wants to have quiet talks, trying to quietly
influence people, one does not disturb that with press releases.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Why yes-- a bulletproof vest." - James Rodges, {*word*190}er, on his final