Re: What are your favorite tools for Delphi programmers?

2007-08-22 08:19:30 AM
delphi157
Michael C. writes:
I'm wondering, what are your personal favorite tools for Delphi
programming?
FastMM4
sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php

Re: What are your favorite tools for Delphi programmers?

Alan,
I'm just having a look at [what seems to be a relatively new kid on the
block] DObject by Macroobject Software. Thought you might be interested.
Never mind ... perhaps I should have spent more time with it <sigh>before
saying /anything/ . Looks great until you want to show one of the objects in
a DAControl ... then, not so much. No info on exposing objects either. Must
be one of those "understood by all" thingies - everyone knows how to do that,
why would we bother explaining. Sorry about that.
--
Dave

Re: What are your favorite tools for Delphi programmers?

That's what *I* keep saying to my friends!
P.
"Richard Foersom" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
If I could only have one utility on my computer, Total Commander would be
it... Indispensable.

Re: What are your favorite tools for Delphi programmers?

Michael C. skrev:
What are your personal favorites for components, controls, or libraries?
Design regexes using RegexBuddy (generates code for Delphi & other tools):
www.regexbuddy.com/screens/delphinet.png
TPerlRegEx(free). Download here:
www.regular-expressions.info/download/TPerlRegEx.zip
And the ultimate (Regex) editor, EditpadPro, which is always open, always:
www.editpadpro.com/
And when renaming things like properties in .pas, .dfm - all the way down to
corresponding identifiers in .ini files, with test files spread over the entire
hard disk, or many disks, then I use PowerGREP to rename things, (and for
previewing changes in files using advanced Regex):
www.powergrep.com/
FastMM
ProDelphi for profiling:
www.prodelphi.de/
// Rolf Lampa

Re: What are your favorite tools for Delphi programmers?

Joachim Römke writes::

madExcept
It can catch bugs in your code, also is it possible to catch
exceptions of the Delphi2007 IDE.
Is madExcept the same 'thing' (as in the same type of
3rd party program) as EurekaLog?
Edmund

Re: What are your favorite tools for Delphi programmers?

Joe Hendricks writes::
www.automatedqa.com
If it weren't for their EULA, I would've bought
their profiler.
Edmund

Edmund writes:
>www.automatedqa.com

If it weren't for their EULA, I would've bought
their profiler.
Are you referring to their marketing clause by chance?
H^2

Re: What are your favorite tools for Delphi programmers?

Michael C. writes:
There's so much stuff out there for Delphi programmers
that I feel lost in the sea of complexity.
I would like some advice on what YOU think
is the top freeware and commercialware for Delphi,
so that I can try the good stuff.
( Answering any of the questions below would be very helpful. )

I'm wondering, what are your personal favorite tools for Delphi
programming?
These are not specific to Delphi, and some are not even development tools:
Cygwin
grep
BeyondCompare (best $25 software of all time)
AQTime
.NET Reflector
FileMon
SysInternals dependency walker
Microsoft's spy++ utility.
An old school resource editor. I use visual studio for this.
python
Subversion + Tortoise SVN
Avast
Spybot
Icon workshop
PaintShop Pro (this is not a ringing endor{*word*224}t, but I do use it
frequently)
TASM (well, not really, but back in the day).
NetSwitcher. Not so much anymore, but I used this a lot when I was
connecting to 3 or 4 networks from one notebook.
A database query tool.
A lightweight text editor. Something better than notepad, but it must
also load in 2 seconds or less. I am currently using TextPad (just
because), which replaced CodeWrite when Borland killed it.
What are your personal favorites for components, controls, or libraries?
I may be in the minority here, but I now shy away from using commercial
third party controls because of maintenance headaches. Why should I have
to buy a new suite of controls just because there is a new version of
Delphi? If there are new features I understand, but some vendors simply
recompile with the new Delphi, and expect you to fork over money.
TBetterADODataSet
The plasmatech explorer controls.
What are your personal favorites products for web page design and editing
( Can be with or without Delphi. )?
Firefox + Firebug and Web Developer plugins. Not for design, but for
testing and debugging. For design, a text editor. If HTML looks like a
confusing mess in a text editor, then it is too complex.
H^2

Harold Howe [TeamB] writes::
Edmund writes:
>>www.automatedqa.com
>
>If it weren't for their EULA, I would've bought
>their profiler.

Are you referring to their marketing clause by chance?

Yes.
Edmund

Re: What are your favorite tools for Delphi programmers?

>>If it weren't for their EULA, I would've bought
>>their profiler.
>
>Are you referring to their marketing clause by chance?

Yes.
Our lawyers were not real thrilled with it either, specifically, letting
another company use our trademarks in its advertising. We asked that
they take out the marketing clause. AutomatedQA was not willing to alter
the EULA for us, probably because we were only buying a coule of
licenses. However, the CEO of the company, Atanas Stoyanov, gave us his
word that they would not use our trademarks, and so far, they have obliged.
The fact that his word was good enough for our lawyers was surprising to
me.
H^2

Harold Howe [TeamB] writes::

>>>If it weren't for their EULA, I would've bought
>>>their profiler.
>>
>>Are you referring to their marketing clause by chance?
>>

>Yes.

Our lawyers were not real thrilled with it either, specifically, letting
another company use our trademarks in its advertising. We asked that
I guess I am not the only one not thrilled with that clause.
However, given the fact that you need to submit your
name, company's name and telephone # just to download
the demo, it doesn't surprise me that they have such
a inane clause in their EULA.

The fact that his word was good enough for our lawyers was surprising to
me.
Quite surprising for me, since it is a verbal issue and should
the smeg hits the fan; well, it is anyone's guess.
Anyway, it is only one lost customer to them. No biggy. But
their product sure does look good. :)
Edmund

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:09:29 +0800, Edmund <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
If it weren't for their EULA, I would've bought
their profiler.
I really like the sampling profiler Eric Grange has written:
www.fastcodeproject.org/
Cheers
- Asbjørn

Re: What are your favorite tools for Delphi programmers?

Edmund explained on 22/08/2007 :
Joachim Römke writes::

>madExcept
>It can catch bugs in your code, also is it possible to catch
>exceptions of the Delphi2007 IDE.

Is madExcept the same 'thing' (as in the same type of
3rd party program) as EurekaLog?
Yes they are competitive products.
Regards
Yannis.

Re: What are your favorite tools for Delphi programmers?

I would use ECO if it supported Win32
Have you ever investigated whether or not it would be possible to use ECO
via interop, or don't you want .NET at all?

Re: What are your favorite tools for Delphi programmers?

ECO - I am spoiled. It has made me too lazy to write apps "the old way".
.NET Reflector - For .NET apps I find it is easier than reading the source
code!
MadExcept - Never letting an exception go unhandled is good practise, and
makes fixing bugs so much easier.
ModelMaker / EcoModeler - My brain works with pictures :-)
PowerGrep - Great for finding text in files.
FileMon - Great for seeing what is going on with your HD.
XmlSpy - I like the XSD support / validation of XML files.
Inno - So simple, really good, totally free. I would use it for any Delphi app,
in VS I just create an installer project.
SynEdit - I haven't needed it in so long, but if ever I needed syntax
highlighting it would be first on my list.
Pete