Broadcast with Indy

2005-07-28 10:04:22 AM
delphi155
Hello:
I'm writting a Client/Server application who sends structured messages over
local network.
I place a TidTCPServer on both sides (on the server and on the clients)
activate and ready to listen in their own port (50000 and 60000
respectively) on the IP:
0.0.0.0 (everyone)
When I need to send anything then activates a TidTCPClient to the contrary
port (the client to the server port and so) to makes the stuff and then
becomes inactive. (And the host IP, 127.0.0.1, in all clients. Is right? I
donīt test this yet)
I love this method because donīt makes any overload of packets in the
network.
Sometimes I need to send data to all the machines.
Sometimes the Server side of the application may be restarted (hangs or
simply shuts down, and restart)
-and then I need to send a broadcast to every Client running in way to
reconfigure my "Client on Machine" list.-
I try to build any authomatic process (act as I ignore the IPs, I donīt want
to place manually all the IPs)
So, how I can send a broadcast to all the unknown universe.
Thanks in advance:
Crsitian.-

Re:Broadcast with Indy

Cristian Zujew writes:
[...]

127.0.0.1 is a loopback interface. Well, anything between 127.0.0.1 and
127.255.255.255 is a loopback interface. It points to the local machine,
which means if you use that to listen on or try to connect to, remote
machines _won't_ be able to see your server.

Re:Broadcast with Indy

So the only way is set every IP address manually?
Thank
"Mark Summers" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>escribi?en el mensaje
Cristian Zujew writes:
>Hello:
>I'm writting a Client/Server application who sends structured messages
>over a
>local network.
>I place a TidTCPServer on both sides (on the server and on the clients)
>activate and ready to listen in their own port (50000 and 60000
>respectively) on the IP:
>0.0.0.0 (everyone)
>When I need to send anything then activates a TidTCPClient to the
>contrary
>port (the client to the server port and so) to makes the stuff and then
>becomes inactive. (And the host IP, 127.0.0.1, in all clients. Is right?
>I donīt test this yet)
>I love this method because donīt makes any overload of packets in the
>network.
>
>Sometimes I need to send data to all the machines.
>Sometimes the Server side of the application may be restarted (hangs or
>simply shuts down, and restart)
>-and then I need to send a broadcast to every Client running in way to
>reconfigure my "Client on Machine" list.-
>
>I try to build any authomatic process (act as I ignore the IPs, I donīt
>want to place manually all the IPs)
>
>So, how I can send a broadcast to all the unknown universe.
>
>Thanks in advance:
>Crsitian.-
127.0.0.1 is a loopback interface. Well, anything between 127.0.0.1 and
127.255.255.255 is a loopback interface. It points to the local machine,
which means if you use that to listen on or try to connect to, remote
machines _won't_ be able to see your server.

Re:Broadcast with Indy

And ... Can I send a message thought a idTCPClient to the 0.0.0.0 address?