Re: Warning: CnPack are SOFTWARE PIRATES

Gerrit Beuze writes:
Not IMO: I'd have believed a lot of exuses, but not this one " a customer put it there"
Yes, sure;-) It was a very well organized ftp site. I simply do not believe "some else did it"
I read the message differently than you did. They said 'user' put it there. My thinking was that
thier 'users' are developers that donate thier time in working on this project. A developer would
certainly have the expertise to be well organized. At least I'd hope so. Most customers do not
poke around with FTP. I don't know how many developers they have but the actions of this one (or
more) 'contributor' certainly stained the start up reputation of cnPack.

I'm not satisfied with the current explanation.

Gerrit Beuze
ModelMaker Tools
Thank you for your comments. Since you are the damaged party here I'd like to know when this
'settles', if at all. I'd like to look at the cnPack tools but will reframe from doing so.
They appear to be wanting to correct this problem. I hope this includes appeasing you with whatever
*you* feel is right.
--
-john

passos writes:

"Jan Ferguson" <jfergusonATdatasoftwareDOTnet>writes:
>Ron C. writes:
>
>>>No concerns...I personally just won't ever purchase any of your
>>>products.
>>
>>They dont actually charge for their software.
>
>For some of their software, they do.

Come on, where is it? They does not sell any business software. All
of their developer is just for fun or contribute.
Kind of a moot point since their site is down.

XXXX@XXXXX.COM (Matthew Jones) writes:
>Most customers do not
>poke around with FTP.

One of the things on the internet communities I hang out in is that you
shouldn't leave an open FTP server that can read and write, or you will
get warez and other undesirable files appearing. So it isn't unheard of
that an FTP server be hijacked. Only the logs would show this, and most
open FTP servers are set up by people who don't know what logs are.

/Matthew Jones/
Believe or not, as a developer in this team, I almost forget
the ftp link address since I visit it one year bofore. I only
visit the cvs server per-week in normal situation.
passos

passos writes:

>>>They dont actually charge for their software.
>>
>>For some of their software, they do.
>
>Come on, where is it? They does not sell any business software. All
>of their developer is just for fun or contribute.

Kind of a moot point since their site is down.

CnPack just have only one formal project and that is CnWizards. Maybe it can be proved by the maillist history or something else. In fact, I don't know how to prove something doesn't exists.
Passos

Re: Warning: CnPack are SOFTWARE PIRATES

I second the second chance.-) Plus the IDE Wizards are REALLY nice!
Darryl
"Ed Blanchard" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
passos writes:

>XXXX@XXXXX.COM (Matthew Jones) writes:
>>>Most customers do not
>>>poke around with FTP.
>>
>>One of the things on the internet communities I hang out in is that
>>you shouldn't leave an open FTP server that can read and write, or
>>you will get warez and other undesirable files appearing. So it
>>isn't unheard of that an FTP server be hijacked. Only the logs
>>would show this, and most open FTP servers are set up by people who
>>don't know what logs are.
>>
>>/Matthew Jones/
>
>Believe or not, as a developer in this team, I almost forget
>the ftp link address since I visit it one year bofore. I only
>visit the cvs server per-week in normal situation.
>
>passos

Actually, I *can* believe it... And certainly the idea that an ftp site
might be hijacked sure isn't hard to believe...

I guess when all is said and done, all we know is files were there -
not WHO put them there. In Canada we have this silly notion of
"innocent until proven guilty" - and given the lack of proof that
CnPack are guitly of more than sloppy administration, I guess a second
chance may actually be in order here...

Cheers,
EdB

passos writes:

XXXX@XXXXX.COM (Matthew Jones) writes:
>>Most customers do not
>>poke around with FTP.
>
>One of the things on the internet communities I hang out in is that
>you shouldn't leave an open FTP server that can read and write, or
>you will get warez and other undesirable files appearing. So it
>isn't unheard of that an FTP server be hijacked. Only the logs
>would show this, and most open FTP servers are set up by people who
>don't know what logs are.
>
>/Matthew Jones/

Believe or not, as a developer in this team, I almost forget
the ftp link address since I visit it one year bofore. I only
visit the cvs server per-week in normal situation.

passos
Actually, I *can* believe it... And certainly the idea that an ftp site
might be hijacked sure isn't hard to believe...
I guess when all is said and done, all we know is files were there -
not WHO put them there. In Canada we have this silly notion of
"innocent until proven guilty" - and given the lack of proof that
CnPack are guitly of more than sloppy administration, I guess a second
chance may actually be in order here...
Cheers,
EdB

Re: Warning: CnPack are SOFTWARE PIRATES

"Ed Blanchard" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
In Canada we have this silly notion of
"innocent until proven guilty" -
We used to have that in Aus too .... now we get other
countries to do our law enforcement for us ... I have a solution.
Stuff their ftp server full of grass and send it to Bali :)
cheers

>In Canada we have this silly notion of
>"innocent until proven guilty" -

We used to have that in Aus too .... now we get other
countries to do our law enforcement for us ... I have a solution.

Stuff their ftp server full of grass and send it to Bali :)

cheers
I don't know... Wouldn't that encourage *more* hijacking, cracking, and
illegal file copying? <g>
EdB

Re: Warning: CnPack are SOFTWARE PIRATES

Actually, I *can* believe it... And certainly the idea that an ftp site
might be hijacked sure isn't hard to believe...
All settled then, a second chance it is.
Gerrit Beuze
ModelMaker Tools

>In Canada we have this silly notion of
>"innocent until proven guilty" -

We used to have that in Aus too .... now we get other
countries to do our law enforcement for us ... I have a solution.

Stuff their ftp server full of grass and send it to Bali :)

cheers

Why Bali ?
I Think in Bali is all already full with Aussie :=)...
try other country...
ciaoo willy

Re: Warning: CnPack are SOFTWARE PIRATES

Why Bali ?
A reference to recent news story about a gang of Australian drug
smugglers caught in Bali. Police in both Australia and Indonesia worked
on the case, but there has been criticism at home that they arranged for
the smugglers to be arrested in Indonesia instead of Australia, since
Indonesia has the death penalty for this offense (and Australia doesn't
have it at all).
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm