Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

2008-04-03 01:52:56 AM
delphi168
Steve,
| Whilst I prefer and use FR for my Delphi work...
Would you mind expanding on why?
Serious question. I may be looking for a Delphi reporting product in
the not-to-distant future.
04/02/2008 10:51:41
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's Salutation mod]

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

Simon,
well, I have good experience with Rave since 1998 ... in the last 10 years
I've created a lot of reports for many
projects around the world, have made more then 50 rave-trainings....
But you look for informations about Rave: you're right, the web site of
Nevrona isn't up-to-date, but they have the focus
on developing the report engine... but I think they will update the site
very soon with all the info's about the new Rave 8 version....
Rave isn't easy to learn, believe me! You can not compare Rave with other
report engines. I started a long time ago and fight many
nights in 1998/99 with Rave and haven't understand the power of Rave. But
sometimes it made "Click!" and since this event I love
Rave and works closely with Nevrona Designs together. Rave supports (or have
supported) a lot of solutions from Borland/CodeGear.
They started 1995 with Report Printer Pro, 100% codebased, very powerful,
very flexible and all in your ObjectPascal. Here the complete history:
.April 1995: Report Print Pro 1
.September 1996: Report Printer Pro 2
.Dezember 1998: Rave 3.0
.Oktober 2000: Rave 4.0
.August 2002: Rave 5.0 (in Delphi 7)
.November 2003: Rave 5.5 in Delphi 8
.Dezember 2004: Rave 6.0 in Delphi 2005
.März 2005: Rave 6.03 BEX
.September 2005: Rave 6.5 BE in Delphi 2006
.Dezember 2005: Rave 7.0 BEX
.März 2007: Rave 7.5.0 in Delphi 2007
.Mai 2007: Rave 7.5.1 in C++Builder 2007
.August 2007: Rave 7.5.2 in RAD Studio 2007
.2008: Rave 8.0 BEX und 8.5 BE
In this list isn't the version Rave for Kylix / CLX but with Rave you can
create (Rave 5!) reports in Kylix and I realized some years ago
a project, that a Kylix 3 and a Delphi 6 application use the same rav-file
(this includes all the reports of your applications) from a samba-drive on a
linux-machine. Rave supports beside Pascal/Delphi the C++-Part from the Rad
Studio (and C++-Builder 6 and so on).
I made reports inside WebServices ( I think I should blog in the next day
about this feature <g>) and 3 years ago I realized a way to create Rave
Reports in a WinForm-C#-Application inside BDS 2006 (or 2005 ?!).
You should look into the feature GlobalPages, DataMirrorSections and
MailMerge of (Data)Memo and many more (hidden secrets) features of Rave ....
Rave supports page- or bandoriented reports and you can mix both ways in one
report, Rave supports band-oriented style "countless" in deepth, Rave works
with the Delphi Dataset-components and with direct connect to the
database-client....
Trust me, Rave is very powerful, but you need on the start some time to
understand the philosphy of Rave, but if you understand it after some hrs or
days, you will love Rave <g>.
I made last week a training on a company here in Germany and one participant
worked with Rave some years but he learnt on the training a lot of this
hidden parts from Rave....
best regards from Germany
:-) thomas, TeamNevrona
rave-notes.blogspot.com
"Simon" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Does anyone have any good/bad experiences using Rave Reports?

Looking at their web site (nevrona.com) does not inspire much confidence
e.g. Their main page mentions Rave v8.0, when you go to the Features page
it is titled 'Quick Summary of Rave Reports 6.0 Features', then 'What's
New for Rave Reports 7.0?'.

If they can not be ass'ed sorting out their web site, it makes one wonder
about the product.

Also, the Delphi-bundled version is 7.5.x, but the docs that come with it
say they are for v6!

S.

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

Thanks everyone for the comments.
I have used RB and liked it, but since Rave comes free with Rad Studio, I thought it might be worth giving it a go.
I still remain uncomfortable about a company that cannot be bothered updating their web site!

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

Simon,
look end of next week (11.april) on the Nevrona-site!
:-) thomas
"Simon" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I have used RB and liked it, but since Rave comes free with Rad Studio, I
thought it might be worth giving it a go.
I still remain uncomfortable about a company that cannot be bothered
updating their web site!

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

Oh shucks Rita <font color="Blushing Pink">:-) </font>
--
Best regards
Stevo

"Steve Forbes" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>I will never use Rave again as I found it the least intuitive reporting
>tool I have *ever* used.

Hi Steve well put, FR is also as cheap as chips (freedom fries)
With myself I count 5 Elevate product users in this thread.
Although one has jumped ship and is active with Firebird.
Reports is not that important to me anymore I sold the rights
to my code. I will however get FR coz you are my hero ;-)
Rita

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

Hi Q,
Serious question.
I know you always ask serious questions <g>
Just to clarify, I am still using RB during the day (for a commercial
product I work on) as we have far too much invested in the reporting
architecture and the 100's of static reports, and countless end-user reports
distributed with or available for the application. RB works very well.
I use FR for my own work (I have a few shareware applications), and first
looked at it when I made the decision to dump Rave and wanted a cheaper
solution than RB which included *full* source code, and was roughly equal to
it in functionality. FR was (and probably still is) significantly cheaper
than RB and IMO works just as well. I have come to appreciate the
architecture of FR, the way it works and find it a little easier (more
intuitive) than RB to do things.
You will be well served if you pick either product, but make sure you give
both a trial run before deciding.
--
Best regards
Steve
Steve,

| Whilst I prefer and use FR for my Delphi work...

Would you mind expanding on why?

Serious question. I may be looking for a Delphi reporting product in
the not-to-distant future.

04/02/2008 10:51:41

XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's Salutation mod]

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

Steve,
| and wanted a cheaper solution than RB which included full source
| code, and was roughly equal to it in functionality. FR was (and
| probably still is) significantly cheaper than RB and IMO works just
| as well. I have come to appreciate the architecture of FR, the way it
| works and find it a little easier (more intuitive) than RB to do
| things.
Thanks!
I've noticed that a lot of people who use NexusDB also use FR.
04/02/2008 17:54:11
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's Salutation mod]

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

Hi Rita,
I can not seem to find the original thread in my newsreader. I wonder if it's
been deleted from the server?
In any case, yes, we finally managed to get it installed on both
programmers' machines but it took Hadi remoting in to resolve the issue. As
we all suspected, it was still a problem with something old left on the
machines but I am not sure what. We went through the full cycle several
times of uninstalling, deleting all the left over files referenced in the
documentation (plus a couple of others recommended by Hadi), and installing.
Hadi remoted in and had the problem solved in very quick order but I am not
sure what else he deleted beyond the files listed in the Atozed
documentation.
We're about to upgrade to RAD 2007 (placing the order today). I think I'll
just leave IW out when we install CR2007 and start fresh with that version.
We may leave BDS2006 installed on each machine but I think I will drop Hadi a
line and see if that might cause any problems.
Ray
"Rita" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Hello Ray did u manage to install the latest IW
yet ? if so return to the original thread and tell
us all about it.
Rita

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

looked at it when I made the decision to dump Rave and wanted a cheaper
solution than RB which included *full* source code, and was roughly
This was a determining factoring in us switching to FR. The purchase
price for FR Enterprise ($349) was less then the upgrade price for RB
Enterprise ($399) and FR includes full source code which RB does not.
The RAP components do not include source code. A little bonus is that FR
includes a client/server solution in the Enterprise product. RB is an
excellent product with outstanding support but you are pretty much forced
to upgrade if a new version comes out when a new Delphi version is
released. There is no way to stagger these purchases if you use RAP and
both the last few Delphi versions (D2007 aside) have required an upgrade
for RB.

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

on 4/3/2008, Dean Hill supposed :
This was a determining factoring in us switching to FR. The purchase
price for FR Enterprise ($349) was less then the upgrade price for RB
Enterprise ($399) and FR includes full source code which RB does not.
The RAP components do not include source code. *A little bonus is
that FR includes a client/server solution in the Enterprise
product.*
I agree with you comment about the greatness of FR. I was wondering
what bonus solution you meant. A report explorer? The web service?

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

I agree with you comment about the greatness of FR. I was wondering
what bonus solution you meant. A report explorer? The web service?
FR Enterprise has a set of Client and Server components that use remote
TCP/IP calls for reports. The reports are generated on the server and
streamed to the client. The server can also be accessed through a
browser.
Take a look at the demo.
fast-report.com/pbc_download/fr4csdemo.exe
---
Dean

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

ReportBuilder has tight integration with NexusDB and counts many NexusDB
developers among its users. The RB Visual Data Access environment can be
configured to generate NexusDB SQL syntax. A complete working example and
ReadMe.doc is installed to RBuilder\Demos\EndUser Databases\NexusDB.
ReportBuilder also has tight integration with most other Delphi data access
solutions:
www.digital-metaphors.com/download/dade_plugins.html
--
Nard Moseley
Digital Metaphors

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

Nard,
Thanks for the information!
If the requirement I anticipate "turns real" I will look at both pretty
carefully.
04/10/2008 09:42:18
XanaNews Version 1.17.5.7 [Q's Salutation mod]

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

Myself and the others on the DM team are very passionate about Delphi and
ReportBuilder and about helping customers build world class reporting
solutions. We are in this business because we love it and the RB products
and community reflect that as do the past 10 years of history helping
thousands of customers and three times being voted Delphi product of year.
About half the customers that purchased RB 9 received a free upgrade to
RB 10, due to our always generous grace period. All RB 10 customers received
a free update for Delphi 2007 support and again when
RAD Studio/D2007 Update 3 was released. With RB 10 we have 4 editions: Std,
Pro, Enterprise, Server supporting D6, D7, D2005, D2006, D2007. We have
trial and registered versions. So that makes 4 x 5 x 2 = 40 builds for each
release. Even with an automated build process that requires a big effort to
maintain. Once we release RB 11 we will not have the resources to also
upgrade all older RB versions going forward.
RB Standard and Professional include 100% of the source code - Report
Designer, the RCL (report class library), the data access classes (DADE),
and the export classes, etc. Each part of the product has a plug-in
architecture that can easily be extended. All of the dialogs can likewise be
customized/replaced. Formatting can be customized/replaced. Custom
components can be added. RB Enterprise does not include source to the
run-time Pascal environment, though the architecture includes the ability to
easily extend the environment via custom functions and custom RTTI. The
Server Edition does not include source to the server units.
You can not work the long hours that we do without loving what you do. The
software engineers required to build and support a product like RB, have to
be experts in areas ranging from data access, windows API, printing and
graphics, UI design, multi-threading, sockets, web design (html,
javascript), parser/compiler technology, I could go on and on. These people
do not work for free. How I wish the original Delphi team was still intact,
cranking out innovations - how much would that be worth to the Delphi
community?
We have a number of excellent products that we use here for which we do not
have source code: Delphi (partial source), Docomatic, FinalBuilder, and
ModelMaker, to name a few. We don't need the source to these products and
are happy to upgrade to newer versions as they become available. This
ensures that the company's behind these products can continue improving and
supporting their products. Without the company's support, the products will
die. As an example, check out the old Turbo Power products - which are open
source, but a burden to those that still try to use them without any
support - and as result are dying.
Different customers have drastically different expectations about software
products. Most fully expect that when they upgrade their Delphi version,
they need to also update the add-on components that they use.
It is impossible to have a perfect licensing model - one that makes everyone
happy and still supports a busines. Our products represent a great value -
you get what you pay for and then some. When you look at something like RB
Enterprise, you are really purchasing a report development environment
(query tools, run-time Pascal, layout designer, etc) that you can build into
your applications and distribute to your end-users royalty free. From that
perspective our products are extremely inexpensive.
I invite anyone to download a trial version and evaluate our products,
evaluate our Developers Guide, Help Docs, Tutorials, Tech Tip library,
newsgroups, and our EndUser Tutorial System/Guide that can be redistributed
royalty free. On a daily basis the engineers that work here are monitoring
the ReportBuilder newsgroups, giving quality answers - helping our customers
to build real world solutions. Most reported bugs are fixed within 24 hours,
resulting in immediately availability of a patch. Timey maintenance releases
are issued every few months.
Thanks for considering ReportBuilder and with whatever tools you use good
luck!
--
Nard Moseley
Digital Metaphors

Re: Is Rave Reports any good?

Does Reportbuilder support unicode?
--
Arthur Hoornweg
(In order to reply per e-mail, please just remove the ".net"