Re: fastest component for microsoft access

2008-06-18 12:13:06 AM
delphi166
Personally, I tried ADO years ago and found that straight ODBC was far
faster (I believe ADO is just another layer on top of ODBC anyways...)
As far as DAO goes, I believe that not all machines will necessarily
have DAO installed on them. You might want to check out Microsoft's mdac
pages... I recall them dropping DAO quite a while back... or at least
requiring an additional step for installation of DAO.
I would look at ODBC Express (fast, reliable, still being developed, and
good support)
www.odbcexpress.com/
If a free (albeit, no longer in development) tool is needed, how about
mODBC?
www.geocities.com/modbc/
This is one site, but I think a newer version was posted under Yahoo
groups (maybe, I can not quite recall...)
HTH,
-Raymond
yannis writes:

The native access mechanism for Access, the last time I checked, was
DAO so I guess that DAO shoold be faster. I haven't used access for the
last 10 years or so, so I can not be sure which is faster for 2003.

Opus DirectAccess components claim to be the fastest components for
access and can be found at
www.torry.net/pages.php
I have never used them my self so not a recomendation just a pointer.

Re: fastest component for microsoft access

AFAIK, DAO is installed on every W-XP machine.
Am I wrong?
"Raymond Schappe" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

yannis writes:

>The native access mechanism for Access, the last time I checked, was
>DAO so I guess that DAO shoold be faster. I haven't used access for the
>last 10 years or so, so I can not be sure which is faster for 2003.
>
>Opus DirectAccess components claim to be the fastest components for
>access and can be found at
>www.torry.net/pages.php
>I have never used them my self so not a recomendation just a pointer.

Re: fastest component for microsoft access

Hello Yogi
1) Have you ever tested your code ?
2) I expect you are using dbExpress (according to - SQLQuery1).
If so, then which driver ?
--
With best regards,
Dmitry Arefiev

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 22:27:28 +0300, "Brayn" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
AFAIK, DAO is installed on every W-XP machine.
Am I wrong?
Yes. Its now a standalone package (Jet-Engine) which has to be
downloaded separately.
Regards from Germany
Franz-Leo

Re: fastest component for microsoft access

If its preinstalled why I need to download this package?
"Franz-Leo Chomse" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:18:21 +0300, "Brayn" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
If its preinstalled why I need to download this package?
If its already installed, someone either had installed the Jet engine
or a full version of Access. It had been part of the MDAC package
until MDAC has been integrated into the Windows OS again.
You just can not be sure that it is installed on any Windows system.
Regards from Germany
Franz-Leo

Re: fastest component for microsoft access

Hello,
I'm talking ONLY for Windows XP.
Is it preinstalled.
Yes or No?
Thanks

news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...>On Wed, 18 Jun
2008 14:18:21 +0300, "Brayn" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:

>>If its preinstalled why I need to download this package?
>
>If its already installed, someone either had installed the Jet
>engine or a full version of Access. It had been part of the MDAC
>package until MDAC has been integrated into the Windows OS again.
>
>You just can not be sure that it is installed on any Windows system.
>
>Regards from Germany
>
>Franz-Leo
In professional version almost always (I have not seen any installation
with out one) on Home version I had a 30% not installed here issues. It
is realy dependant on what PC/Laptop you have purchased and the OEM
installation proccess so a Yes or No answer is not possible.
My Advice DO NOT assume it is installed and always include the
installation in your cd.
regards
Yannis.