Can this be done? Better still has it been done?

2005-03-17 02:17:35 AM
delphi199
Hi
Is it possible to export the form object by whatever means and stream it
from the server via TCP to the client, to be used in the application. The
thinking is that we only need to manage the server as all the clients will
get any new/altered forms from the server.
Thus making rollouts of new software a thing of the past.
thanks
Adge

Re:Can this be done? Better still has it been done?

"Adge" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a écrit dans le message de news:
4238782e$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Is it possible to export the form object by whatever means and stream it
from the server via TCP to the client, to be used in the application. The
thinking is that we only need to manage the server as all the clients will
get any new/altered forms from the server.
Thus making rollouts of new software a thing of the past.
Yes it is possible :-)
Joanna
Consultant Software Engineer
TeamBUG support for UK-BUG
TeamMM support for ModelMaker

Re:Can this be done? Better still has it been done?

"Adge" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Hi

Is it possible to export the form object by whatever means and stream it
from the server via TCP to the client, to be used in the application. The
thinking is that we only need to manage the server as all the clients will
get any new/altered forms from the server.
Thus making rollouts of new software a thing of the past.

Look at ReadComponentRes and ReadComponentResFile (and their matching Write
functions). I use this for an app where the user can change the interface
by moving (or resizing) buttons. The only tricky bit for me was making sure
that I had freed the previous version of any components prior to doing the
read.
Also, any state you need to preserve must be in properties.
Kirk Halgren
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that the savage has,
because we know how it is made. We have lost as much as we gained by prying
into that matter."
-- Mark Twain

Re:Can this be done? Better still has it been done?

Reading/writing the form layout is easy, but your app will not have any
of the supporting code.
Instead you can lump stuff together in packages and the server for the
latest versions when the app starts. Don't check the version of the BPL
itself though because this would envolve downloading the BPL just to
read it, get a server to tell you or read it from an INI file / DB or
something.
--
Pete
====

Re:Can this be done? Better still has it been done?

Thanks for the answers, I will look into your suggestions.