Re: Delphi is the only choice

2003-11-30 04:20:12 AM
delphi279

Then why was Blake Stone (architect for JBuilder) made CTO and not
Chuck (architect for Delphi)?

No disrespect to anyone. Both are brilliant engineers in their own rights.
One is a more 'behind the scene' guy and the other a (slightly) better
public speaker and most importantly JBuilder was the main money maker.
Difficult to argue with that one.
Howver it does not excuse the lousy & ineffective marketing efforts by
Borland Marketing. If ever there was a case in history where a briliantly
designed framework product never made it to primetime .... you're witnessing
it! Reminiscent of the Z80 vs 8080 days.
Chris

Re: Delphi is the only choice

My God, Mandrake updates!
I bought a copy of Linux Format and installed Mandrake 9.1. Three months
later, Mandrake 9.2 is out! I could say the same for SME but since SME is
only a fileserver then I don't have to update it.
Rhys

Re: Delphi is the only choice

William Meyer writes:
last time I looked at a
Borland 10K, the largest single revenue generator was JBuilder, IIRC.
I'm sure you're right and, back to addressing the main point of what
Borland could do to reinforce their support for Delphi:
The fact that they now have a more important primary product does not
help the case for Delphi, especially when we are consistently reminded
of their "limited resources".
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Delphi is the only choice

On 29 Nov 2003 12:36:29 -0700, "William Meyer"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Keep slinging it, but after a while your arm gets tired <g>.
I never tire of speaking the truth. ;-)
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: Delphi is the only choice

On 29-Nov-03, Nick Hodges (TeamB) said:
I never tire of speaking the truth. ;-)
I'm proud of you, Nick, but I *do* tire of trying to dispel FUD.
--
Bill
--------

Re: Delphi is the only choice

Nick Hodges (TeamB) writes:
Because they wanted to do it on the 20th anniversary, they wanted to
do it in San Jose, and that was the first date available in San Jose
in the new convention center.
Good point. I mean, they only had 20 years to plan for it, you'd have
thought they could have got an earlier date than November! <g>
Those are stone cold facts
Really? it is not a fact I would heard up until now, I readily admit. Have
I missed a barrage of threads on the topic? (I regularly drop out of
the non-tech newsgroup)
-- and should stop cold any FUD about why
the conference was when it was.
Somehow, given the nature of the newsgroups, I doubt that.
As for the rest -- You are one hard man to please.
Yeah. Customers! Tch! You ask 'em a question and they have the
{*word*76}Y TEMERITY to give you an answer. We'd all be better off without
'em <g>
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Delphi is the only choice

Nick Hodges (TeamB) writes:
Maybe Chuck didn't want the job?
There's a thought.
Maybe Blake had better
qualifications?
Either way, it marginalizes Delphi. JBuilder is now Borlands top
product. So back to the point:
"How much more clearly can Borland state their long-term direction /
commitment for Delphi than by committing the resources and time they
did in this case?"
And I refer you back to my answers.
The +least+ likely reason to me is that Dale wanted to make some sort
of statement about the future of Delplhi.
Agreed. I think it far more likely he wanted to make a very strong
statement about the future of JBuilder. But hey - it is not me you need
to convince. I am afraid I lost faith in Borland some time ago.
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Delphi is the only choice

chrisC writes:
most importantly JBuilder was the main money maker.
Difficult to argue with that one.
Yup. Which, for a company with "limited resources" marginalizes Delphi.
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Delphi is the only choice

On 29-Nov-03, Derek Davidson said:
>Maybe Blake had better
>qualifications?

Either way, it marginalizes Delphi. JBuilder is now Borlands top
product. So back to the point:

"How much more clearly can Borland state their long-term direction /
commitment for Delphi than by committing the resources and time they
did in this case?"

And I refer you back to my answers.
Of course, from the viewpoint of JBuilder customers, had Jadzewski been
made CTO, then it might reflect badly on Borland's commitment to
JBuilder?
Delphi didn't build Borland, nor did it, as a product, save the
company. Borland is a company with numerous developers' products, and
has to allocate limited resources to the various tasks at hand. Too
much time is wasted her by too many people on pronouncements offered up
with no data behind them.
--
Bill
--------

William Meyer writes:
Of course, from the viewpoint of JBuilder customers, had Jadzewski
been made CTO, then it might reflect badly on Borland's commitment to
JBuilder?
I concur.
Delphi didn't build Borland
Perhaps not (I'm sure there are many that could argue the fact) but it
DID have a huge impact on the company.
nor did it, as a product, save the
company.
I disagree with that. I think that during the lean years, Delphi
generated revenue that kept Borland afloat.
Too much time is wasted her by too many people on pronouncements
offered up with no data behind them.
Whose time is being wasted? No-one forces you (or anyone else) to
either read or to reply to anything that is written (and I use the
phrase 'you' in the broader sense). Whenever I get tired of non-tech
(frequently) I just bow out for a few weeks. Works a treat.
--
Derek Davidson
www.enterpriseblue.com

Re: Delphi is the only choice

On 29-Nov-03, Nick Hodges (TeamB) said:
I'm all for listening to customers -- as long as their requests are
reasonable.
Picky, picky, picky... <g>
--
Bill
--------
"Just because an establishment deals with the public doesn't make it
public property." -- Walter Williams

Re: Delphi is the only choice

Nick Hodges (TeamB) writes:
While I don't agree that Kylix and C++B are abandoned, MS +clearly+
has abandoned VB(Visual Basic) and Visual C++ developers. No doubt about it.
Ah, that must be why MS made the C++ compiler so much more compliant with
7.1 over 7.

Re: Delphi is the only choice

On 29 Nov 2003 16:01:45 -0700, "William Meyer"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I'm proud of you, Nick, but I *do* tire of trying to dispel FUD.
I totally understand.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: Delphi is the only choice

On 29 Nov 2003 16:02:58 -0700, "Derek Davidson"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Really?
I am on the Advisory Board, and I know personally the people who plan
the conference, and had a discussion with Christine Ellis about this
very topic, so yes, those are the stone cold facts.
Yeah. Customers! Tch! You ask 'em a question and they have the
{*word*76}Y TEMERITY to give you an answer. We'd all be better off without
'em <g>
I think you are over-reacting -- my point is that some of your
requests are simply impossible, and other are well outside of
Borland's control.
I'm all for listening to customers -- as long as their requests are
reasonable.
Nick Hodges - TeamB
Lemanix Corporation
Please always follow the newsgroup guidelines --
www.borland.com/newsgroups

Re: Delphi is the only choice

On 29 Nov 2003 16:06:52 -0700, "Derek Davidson"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
And I refer you back to my answers.
Okay -- and as I said, I view your answers as unreasonable.
I'm afraid I lost faith in Borland some time ago
Whether you have faith in Borland or not is, of course, totally up to
you.