Recommendations for an MS SQL class?

2004-04-23 05:35:02 AM
delphi154
My role is moving from solely development to dev and DBA of a large
installation of MS SQL systems - anyone got a good class they can recommend
for which I can sign myself up?
I'd also appreciate any good book recommendations as well ).
Thomas J. Theobald
Application Development Manager
MidwayUSA
America's Source for Shooting Supplies
5875 W. Van Horn Tavern Road
Columbia, MO 65203
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
www.midwayusa.com
800-243-3220

Re:Recommendations for an MS SQL class?

Hi Thomas,
As far as books are concerned, anything by Joe Celko is worth reading:
Data & Databases
SQL for Smarties
SQL Puzzles and Answers
--
Jim

Re:Recommendations for an MS SQL class?

Thanks for the heads-up - I probably wasn't terribly specific in my original
post, what I am looking for is stuff specific to MS SQL Server - are there
any really good references for that, or are they all pretty much the same?

Re:Recommendations for an MS SQL class?

If you want the low level stuff then Inside SQL Server 2000 by Kalen
Delaney. The Gurus guide to SQL Server Architecture and Internals by Ken
Henderson.
If you can get on any training classes run by folks from Solid Quality
Learning (www.solidqualitylearning.com) then I would recomend them, they are
one of the few training orgs allowed to teach the Microsoft SQL Server HA
class(they helped develop it).
-Euan
"Thomas J. Theobald" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

Thomas J. Theobald writes:
Thanks for the heads-up - I probably wasn't terribly specific in my original
post, what I am looking for is stuff specific to MS SQL Server - are there
any really good references for that, or are they all pretty much the same?
Opinions vary on the value of certification, but if you
can get your employer to sponsor you to do an MCDBA
then it should help them and you...
--
jc
Remove the -not from email