Interest in Delphi VOIP (SIP, H3232, etc) based on Opal?

2005-12-05 02:17:12 AM
delphi123
Would there be any interest in having a VOIP solution - most likely SIP and
H323 - that could be used by Delphi developers?
I've been working on an application that uses SIP to test voice-based
applications. Since there were no completed SIP components for Delphi at
the time, I took the open source Opal project (www.voxgratia.org) and
wrote a Delphi wrapper for it. Although I am still a long way from
completing the application, the SIP portion looks like it is working well.
As I continued development, I begin to wonder if anyone else would find this
useful? If so, I was thinking that writing the wrapper as a nice set of
stand-alone Delphi components might be a good idea, possibly posting them to
Source Forge.
By the way, the Opal project is MPL licenses, allowing both open source and
commercial usage. If I released anything, it would proably be under the
same license, allowing the components to be used in either open source or
commecial usage.
Any comments or suggestions?
Jason Swager

Re:Interest in Delphi VOIP (SIP, H3232, etc) based on Opal?

Yes, I'd be interested.
Regards
Jeff
"news.borland.com" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

"news.borland.com" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
Would there be any interest in having a VOIP solution - most likely
SIP and H323 - that could be used by Delphi developers?
[SNIP..]
Any comments or suggestions?

Jason Swager
I would be also interested for a home project I am thinking to start.
I haven't spend any time on the subject os I do not have any comments
for the time being but I will take a closer look on the metnioned project
probably next week.
Regards
Yannis.

Re:Interest in Delphi VOIP (SIP, H3232, etc) based on Opal?

there is any sip stack written in delphi
www.ictrnid.org.uk/index.html?softlib.html
SIP Stack 0.4.1 (D6/D7) Download Now This ZIP file (1025KB) contains the source code for an RFC3261 SIP stack, a RFC3550 RTP stack and SDP (RFC2327) parsing and utilities. Please note this is a work in progress. Uses DUnit testing framework. Last updated 20 May 2005.
cheer's
Willy

"wchandra" wchandra-*at*-gmail-*dot-*.com writes:
there is any sip stack written in delphi
www.ictrnid.org.uk/index.html?softlib.html

SIP Stack 0.4.1 (D6/D7) Download Now This ZIP file (1025KB) contains the source code for an RFC3261 SIP stack, a RFC3550 RTP stack and SDP (RFC2327) parsing and utilities. Please note this is a work in progress. Uses DUnit testing framework. Last updated 20 May 2005.
Yes, I saw this code. I got it working, but only to a certain extent.
The audio support didn't work. Which sort of makes sense since the code
is being used to send text messages via SIP, not so much audio. There
is some audio support - I can see the code handling it - but getting it
hooked up to the sound card never worked.
Project Opal already has full sound support (and text and video
support), supports more codecs, and is being tested by a larger
community than the RNID code.
Also, I tried contacting the programmer at RNID, but never got a
response back. One of the license stipulations on the RNID code is that
it cannot be used to develop a voice-only applications, which is what
about 99% of all VOIP applications are designed for.
Jason Swager

Re:Interest in Delphi VOIP (SIP, H3232, etc) based on Opal?

I've been working on an application that uses SIP to test voice-based
applications. Since there were no completed SIP components for Delphi at
the time, I took the open source Opal project (www.voxgratia.org)
and wrote a Delphi wrapper for it. Although I am still a long way from
completing the application, the SIP portion looks like it is working well.
I'm doing the same with the sipXTapi library (LGPL) from sipfoundry.com.
Why do you have choosen the OPAL library?
Andrea

_andrea_ writes:

I'm doing the same with the sipXTapi library (LGPL) from sipfoundry.com.
Why do you have choosen the OPAL library?

Andrea
For a couple reasons. First - because OPAL (and it is predecessor,
OpenH323) have been heavily tested with a variety of applications.
Second - OPAL supports more than just SIP; it also support H323, IAX2
(native Asterisk format), has sound-card support, and could be tied to
physical POTS lines via an expandable interface. (I'm wondering if I can
write a layer to handle TAPI so that TAPI calls appear like OPAL
calls?) It also supports video, which serves no purpose now - but might
be useful in the future. Finally - as much as I'd rather write
Delphi, the C++ object classes of Opal appear to be very well laid out
and easy to use.
Jason

Re:Interest in Delphi VOIP (SIP, H3232, etc) based on Opal?

For a couple reasons. First - because OPAL (and it is predecessor,
OpenH323) have been heavily tested with a variety of applications.
Second - OPAL supports more than just SIP; it also support H323, IAX2
(native Asterisk format), has sound-card support, and could be tied to
physical POTS lines via an expandable interface. (I'm wondering if I can
write a layer to handle TAPI so that TAPI calls appear like OPAL calls?)
It also supports video, which serves no purpose now - but might be useful
in the future. Finally - as much as I'd rather write Delphi, the C++
object classes of Opal appear to be very well laid out and easy to use.
Great! I have read the documentation this afternoon and i have tried to
compile the library but without success ( I am not very familiar with MSVC ).
Do you have compiled the library?
Andrea

_andrea_ writes:
Great! I have read the documentation this afternoon and i have tried to
compile the library but without success ( I am not very familiar with MSVC ).
Do you have compiled the library?

Andrea

Yes, I have compiled the library in both VS6 and VS2003. I like the
VS2003 compilation better (less patching). I modified the build
slightly (like skipping CONFIGURE.EXE and require less system/PATH
modifications) but I can build the OPAL LIBs and DLLS.
Then I wrote a new DLL that includes the OPAL LIBs and exposes entry
points that a Delphi program can hook into. If I get around to putting
this stuff on 'Net, I will be including a drop of the OPAL/PWLIB source
code, plus those modifications.
Jason

Re:Interest in Delphi VOIP (SIP, H3232, etc) based on Opal?

Yes, I have compiled the library in both VS6 and VS2003. I like the VS2003
compilation better (less patching). I modified the build slightly (like
skipping CONFIGURE.EXE and require less system/PATH modifications) but I
can build the OPAL LIBs and DLLS.
Then I wrote a new DLL that includes the OPAL LIBs and exposes entry
points that a Delphi program can hook into. If I get around to putting
this stuff on 'Net, I will be including a drop of the OPAL/PWLIB source
code, plus those modifications.
Ok, waiting for your decision.
Andrea

Re:Interest in Delphi VOIP (SIP, H3232, etc) based on Opal?

I cant wait, I have been looking for somthing along those lines for a
while now... Hope you decide to release it.
--sc