ANN: AnySQL Maestro (freeware cross-database tool)

2008-02-22 01:29:36 AM
delphi107
SQL Maestro Group announces the release of AnySQL Maestro software - a
freeware, but powerful cross-database management tool for all the database
engines accessible via ODBC driver or OLE DB provider. Key features include:
database object management, graphical database designer, visual query
builder, data export and import, BLOB Viewer/Editor, and a lot of other
things.
www.sqlmaestro.com/products/anysql/maestro/
AnySQL Maestro has been successfully tested with the following database
engines:
-------------------------
MS SQL Server 7 - 2008
MS Access (including 2007)
Oracle 9i - 11g
IBM DB2 8.0 - 9.5
MySQL 4.xx and 5.xx
PostgreSQL 8.xx
Firebird 1.5 - 2.1
SQLite 3.xx
Sybase SQL Anywhere 10
MaxDB 7.5 and 7.6
Standard ODBC drivers for DBase, Excel, Text, and CSV files.
-------------------------
Of course it should also work with other ADO-compatible databases.
Background information:
------------------------
SQL Maestro Group is engaged in developing complete database admin and
management tools for MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, SQLite,
Firebird and MaxDB providing the highest performance, scalability and
reliability to meet the requirements of today's database applications.
Sincerely yours,
The SQL Maestro Group Team
www.sqlmaestro.com

Re:ANN: AnySQL Maestro (freeware cross-database tool)

Vadim Vinokur writes:
SQL Maestro Group announces the release of AnySQL Maestro software - a
freeware, but powerful cross-database management tool
I've only been testing it for about 15 minutes now, but I have to say
"Wow!" This will very probably replace the in-house tool I have used for
the past several years.
Thank you!

Re:ANN: AnySQL Maestro (freeware cross-database tool)

Kyle A. Miller writes:
Thank was my initial impression, but it is not a complete tool. For
instance, I am connecting to a SQL Anywhere database, and I don't see
a way to explore and view stored procedures. They don't show up.
I hadn't tried stored procedures yet, but I noticed the same for
triggers. Our application makes use of both, but they rarely need
messed with. Meanwhile, I do lots and lots of ad hoc queries, testing
them in preparation for building them into Delphi programs. For that
kind of purpose, and exploring databases in general, this tool is much
better than what I have been using.

Re:ANN: AnySQL Maestro (freeware cross-database tool)

Tom Corey has brought this to us :
Vadim Vinokur writes:

>SQL Maestro Group announces the release of AnySQL Maestro software -
>a freeware, but powerful cross-database management tool

I've only been testing it for about 15 minutes now, but I have to say
"Wow!" This will very probably replace the in-house tool I have used
for the past several years.

Thank you!
Thank was my initial impression, but it is not a complete tool. For
instance, I am connecting to a SQL Anywhere database, and I don't see a
way to explore and view stored procedures. They don't show up.
There is also no way to manager security.
I think it is a very nice application, but it is a teaser to get you to
buy the commercial products.

Tom Corey writes:
I've only been testing it for about 15 minutes now, but I have to say
"Wow!" This will very probably replace the in-house tool I have used for
the past several years.
I actually use one of their dedicated database products and think it's
great, though I can not help but wonder at how similar SQL Maestro
products are to EMS database products. Not sure who is "emulating"
who, but the similarities are striking.
I'll be giving this new freeware tool try. I don't expect it to be as
full-featured as their dedicated lineup, but I imagine it will be great
for the basics.
--
Kevin Powick

Re:ANN: AnySQL Maestro (freeware cross-database tool)

>>SQL Maestro Group announces the release of AnySQL Maestro software - a
>>freeware, but powerful cross-database management tool
>
>I've only been testing it for about 15 minutes now, but I have to say
>"Wow!" This will very probably replace the in-house tool I have used for
>the past several years.
>
>Thank you!

Thank was my initial impression, but it is not a complete tool. For
instance, I am connecting to a SQL Anywhere database, and I don't see a
way to explore and view stored procedures. They don't show up.
There is also no way to manager security.

AnySQL Maestro operates via ADO. It calls OpenSchema to retrieve metadata,
see
www.w3schools.com/ado/met_conn_openschema.asp
There is no way to extract view/procedure/trigger bodies, manage users,
grants, etc. Also OpenSchema knows nothing about DBMS specific objects, such
as tablespaces, jobs, partitions, full-text catalogs, etc.
Also AnySQL Maestro strongly depends from OLE DB Provider / ODBC Driver you
have installed. Some providers even do not return indexes and/or foreign
keys. Check constraints are not returned correctly by any driver/provider.
I think it is a very nice application,
Thanks. :)
but it is a teaser to get you to
buy the commercial products.
No (see above). It is a good solution for everyone who need only basic DBMS
features. We also don't restrict any interface features available in
commercial products (export, import, diagrams, BLOBs, etc). On the other
hand we have no objectstions for getting new customers who want complete
tools for a concrete DBMS. :-)
Best Regards,
Vadim Vinokur
SQL Maestro Group
www.sqlmaestro.com

Re:ANN: AnySQL Maestro (freeware cross-database tool)

>Thank was my initial impression, but it is not a complete tool. For
>instance, I am connecting to a SQL Anywhere database, and I don't see
>a way to explore and view stored procedures. They don't show up.

I hadn't tried stored procedures yet, but I noticed the same for
triggers. Our application makes use of both, but they rarely need
messed with. Meanwhile, I do lots and lots of ad hoc queries, testing
them in preparation for building them into Delphi programs. For that
kind of purpose, and exploring databases in general, this tool is much
better than what I have been using.
Thank you very much for your opinion!
About SPs and triggers: please see my answer to Kyle A. Miller in this
thread.

Re:ANN: AnySQL Maestro (freeware cross-database tool)

>I've only been testing it for about 15 minutes now, but I have to say
>"Wow!" This will very probably replace the in-house tool I have used for
>the past several years.

I actually use one of their dedicated database products and think it's
great, though I can not help but wonder at how similar SQL Maestro
products are to EMS database products. Not sure who is "emulating"
who, but the similarities are striking.
SQL Maestro Group is a totally independent company. We do not emulate any
product on the market.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:22:23 +0500, Vadim Vinokur writes:
Also AnySQL Maestro strongly depends from OLE DB Provider / ODBC Driver you
have installed. Some providers even do not return indexes and/or foreign
keys. Check constraints are not returned correctly by any driver/provider.
It would help if you had a list of which OleDB providers were tested
or worked. It took me a while to find a FB driver which returned the
table information.
--
Marc Rohloff [TeamB]
marc -at- marc rohloff -dot- com

Re:ANN: AnySQL Maestro (freeware cross-database tool)

>Also AnySQL Maestro strongly depends from OLE DB Provider / ODBC Driver
>you
>have installed. Some providers even do not return indexes and/or foreign
>keys. Check constraints are not returned correctly by any
>driver/provider.

It would help if you had a list of which OleDB providers were tested
or worked. It took me a while to find a FB driver which returned the
table information.
Firebird ODBC drivers work fine. They allow to retrieve tables, fields,
indexes, and foreign keys.
www.firebirdsql.org/index.php
Regards,
Vadim Vinokur
SQL Maestro Group
www.sqlmaestro.com

Re:ANN: AnySQL Maestro (freeware cross-database tool)

Tom writes:
I was unaware of SQL Maestro when doing my eval of products and while
the similarities exist the SQL Maestro interface is much better IMO.
EMS seemed to use an HTML-type interface for everything, which came
off to me as slow and cumbersome. I really like the grid interface.
Not sure what you mean. I have several EMS database products as well
as SQL Maestro products, and they both are clearly using grids. The
form layouts, icons, menu items, etc. are almost exactly the same as
well.
One of the two companies is emulating the other. I have two of the
products open right now (EMS & Maestro), side by side. There is barely
any difference in look, feel, and functionality.
However, both do have the odd feature that the other does not. And,
for the record, the EMS products seem more stable than SQL Maestro.
I've had a few access violations and crashes with SQL Maestro products.
--
Kevin Powick

Kevin Powick writes:
I actually use one of their dedicated database products and think it's
great, though I can not help but wonder at how similar SQL Maestro
products are to EMS database products. Not sure who is "emulating"
who, but the similarities are striking.
I was unaware of SQL Maestro when doing my eval of products and while
the similarities exist the SQL Maestro interface is much better IMO.
EMS seemed to use an HTML-type interface for everything, which came off
to me as slow and cumbersome. I really like the grid interface.
Tom

Kevin Powick writes:
Tom Corey writes:

>I've only been testing it for about 15 minutes now, but I have to say
>"Wow!" This will very probably replace the in-house tool I have used for
>the past several years.

I actually use one of their dedicated database products and think it's
great, though I can not help but wonder at how similar SQL Maestro
products are to EMS database products. Not sure who is "emulating"
who, but the similarities are striking.

I'll be giving this new freeware tool try. I don't expect it to be as
full-featured as their dedicated lineup, but I imagine it will be great
for the basics.

Kevin,
Don't know if you have been to my web page lately, but we are working on
Lightning Admin 2.0 which will be a single unified IDE built with C#.
Currently PostgreSQL and MySQL will be the first supported, then either
Firebird or SQLite.
ADO.net allows a generic connection interface to be created far easier
than with Delphi, by using the ADO.net interfaces we can easily abstract
even the command objects.
We are using Npgsql and the MySQL Connector/NET.
So it will be far easier than before to add support for other RDBMS as
long as there is a a ADO.net provider.
Later,
Tony

Kevin Powick writes:
I can not help but wonder at how similar SQL Maestro
products are to EMS database products. Not sure who is "emulating"
who, but the similarities are striking.
Pretty sure Vadim used to work for EMS.
Kind of like how IBexpert was very similar to EMS stuff, and I know the
IBexpert guy was working for or with EMS at one time.
It's probably that they are using all the same controls, it is not that
hard to get a similar look and feel if you use all Devexpress components
for example.
Later,
Tony

Tony Caduto writes:
Kevin,
Don't know if you have been to my web page lately, but we are working
on Lightning Admin 2.0 which will be a single unified IDE built with
C#.
<sigh>Another falls to .Net. I have yet to own a .Net GUI application
that performs with the same "snap" as a regular Win32 app. Oh well, I
don't want to hijack this [ANN] thread and debate .Net
Being a "Delphi guy", why didn't you go with RemObjects' Chrome for
.Net development?
--
Kevin Powick