gbak problem

2008-07-01 05:30:01 AM
delphi123
I have been using gbak on several different computers without problems.
But, I have one computer where it will not run, even a little bit. I
have taken a running copy from another computer and installed it as well
and it does not run.
When gbak does not run, it puts out error messages about not being able
to find C:\firebird.msg, unable to locate file, etc. When I do gbak -q,
which normally gives a list of commands, there is no list... just line
after line of "error...".
When I created an empty file C:\firebird.msg, gbak quite giving the
could not find C:\firebird.msg file, but all the other error messages
were still there.
Apparently there is something missing that gbak needs to run
successfully, but I cannot figure it out.
Thanks

Re:gbak problem

You will probably have better luck in the Firebird groups then...

--
Will R
PMC Consulting

Re:gbak problem

Not running Firebird. I am running InterBase 6.2.

Re:gbak problem

Jack Mason writes:
Not running Firebird.
Yes you are. The Firebird client, anyway. IB only works with its own
client, not with Firebird's.
Everything You Need to Know About InterBase Character Sets:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/articles/403.aspx

Re:gbak problem

Your original message said in part:
"When gbak does not run, it puts out error messages about not being
able to find C:\firebird.msg,"
Only the Firebird client DLL would be looking for a file named
firebird.msg. The InterBase client uses a message file named
interbase.msg.
There is not and never has been a version of InterBase numbered 6.2.
You may be referring to InterBase 6.0.2.0.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:gbak problem

Yes, it is 6.0.2.0. We have not loaded Firebird on any of our systems,
so how would we get a Firebird version of gbak?Better yet, how do we get
rid of it? Or the piece of firebird it thinks it sees?
There is not and never has been a version of InterBase numbered 6.2.
You may be referring to InterBase 6.0.2.0.

Re:gbak problem

Scan the hard drive for all instances of gds32.dll. Check the version
number and make sure it is 6.0.2.0. Do the same for gbak.exe.
My guess is that you will find multiple versions of one or both files.
If so, you need to get rid of the ones whose version is not 6.0.2.0.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)