No help files available in my D2005 Architect SP2

2005-03-12 03:02:37 PM
delphi109
The SP2 installation appears to have gone off without a hitch.
However the IDE no longer has access to any help files.
There must be an easy fix to this. Registry settings? Some windows help
utility? How do I get the IDE to find its help files?
-- d
Need to see what's happening?
Check out the Delphi Community Blog Aggregator
delphi.flashblogger.com

Re:No help files available in my D2005 Architect SP2

Dennis Landi writes:
The SP2 installation appears to have gone off without a hitch.

However the IDE no longer has access to any help files.

There must be an easy fix to this. Registry settings? Some windows help
utility? How do I get the IDE to find its help files?

Ok, I found the reghelp.exe utility in C:\Program
Files\Borland\BDS\3.0\Help\Common. Its a command line utility with
clear instructions:
<quote>
* Borland Help 2.0 system maintenance script: internal version *
SYNOPSIS
regHelp.exe <CONFIGURATION_CODE>[LOGFILE]
PARAMETERS
CONFIGURATION_CODE:
Integer indicating which help collections to install.
Positive numbers indicate install, negative numbers for
uninstall. The argument should be a sum of one or more of the
following values:
1: Common materials
2: .NET
4: Win32
For example, to install common materials and Win32 help:
reghelp.exe 5
To uninstall .NET and Win32 help but keep common materials:
reghelp.exe -6
</quote>
However running reghelp.exe 1 ,2 ,4 or 7 will only get me the "NET
Framework SDK Home Page" to show up in the help. IOW, if I start a new
Win32 project, click on the main form to focus it, and hit "F1", I get
the .NET Framework SDK Home page."
When I run the utility I get no error messages so I assume it executed
its task...
So this reghelp utility doesn't appear to be working on my machine. It
looks like I might have an early version of reghelp.exe shipped on my
CD. Can anyone else check out the version info for this utility on
their machine? The version info is basically blank, there is no build
number.
Or, what other information is it looking for? What is my registry
supposed to look like regarding the help system?
I would really like to get this resolved. Not being able to access
help, is going to be a real hindrance.
-d

Dennis Landi writes:
Dennis Landi writes:

>The SP2 installation appears to have gone off without a hitch.
>
>However the IDE no longer has access to any help files.
>
>There must be an easy fix to this. Registry settings? Some windows help
>utility? How do I get the IDE to find its help files?

Ok, I found the reghelp.exe utility in C:\Program
Files\Borland\BDS\3.0\Help\Common.
Further data, D8Architect help files are still intact in the Delphi 8 IDE. Of
course, its .NET only but they are still there and appear to work
normally....
Is the help system the same between these two versions? Can I figure
out how Delphi 8 works in the hopes of figuring out how D9 works?
-d

Re:No help files available in my D2005 Architect SP2

Hi Dennis,
However running reghelp.exe 1 ,2 ,4 or 7 will only get me the "NET
Framework SDK Home Page" to show up in the help. IOW, if I start a new
Win32 project, click on the main form to focus it, and hit "F1", I get
the .NET Framework SDK Home page."
Have you tried - just in case - to run "reghelp -7" first (i.e.
uninstall the helpfile index etc.) and then "reghelp 7" ?? It might need
to uininstall before it can install / repair itself...
-d
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) - Borland Technology Partner
Delphi for .NET / ASP.NET courseware - www.drbob42.com/training

Re:No help files available in my D2005 Architect SP2

Bob Swart writes:
Hi Dennis,

>However running reghelp.exe 1 ,2 ,4 or 7 will only get me the "NET
>Framework SDK Home Page" to show up in the help. IOW, if I start a new
>Win32 project, click on the main form to focus it, and hit "F1", I get
>the .NET Framework SDK Home page."

Have you tried - just in case - to run "reghelp -7" first (i.e.
uninstall the helpfile index etc.) and then "reghelp 7" ?? It might need
to uininstall before it can install / repair itself...

>-d

Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)

I had actually run "-7" before and then run "4" by itself, thinking this
had the best chance of not confusing the utility. That didn't work.
However, I took your suggestion and did "-7" and then "7", a re-opened
D2005 Win32 project, highlighted the main form and pressed F1 and viola,
Win32 Help for TForm appeared.
Finally!
Thank you, Bob. Chances are all the other help got rebuilt too.
Ok, at this point I can try to put D2005 Architect through my intended
paces which is trying to see if I can make ECO II a viable "real world"
development tool. To that end I just bought ModelMaker 8 and Peter
Morris' UML Modeler, and I will now see if can create real application
models in MM and run them in ECO. If so, I will finally have something
to put in the NET version of my web site.