Interbase 7.01 - To John Kaster

2003-10-14 02:38:14 AM
delphi20
Hi John:
Will there be a 50% discount on Interbase 7.1 (server unlimited license)
version at Borcon2003?
Seemed like a great idea to include this version too?
Regards
Chris

Re:Interbase 7.01 - To John Kaster

chrisC writes:
Will there be a 50% discount on Interbase 7.1 (server unlimited
license) version at Borcon2003?
Yes, this is already on the discount list:
info.borland.com/conf2003/discounted.html
Also, note that changes to the license structure for IB 7.1 already
make it much cheaper than any previous version since at least 5.6, if
not earlier:
delphi.weblogs.com/stories/storyReader$236
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Performance Monitor -- Analyze and control your IB7
server: delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor

Re:Interbase 7.01 - To John Kaster

info.borland.com/conf2003/discounted.html
Yeah well, my clients would laugh me out of
Puget Sound with pricing like that... thankfully
we have powerful CS alternatives like NexusDB
around for UNLIMITED web deployment for < $1000...
( www.nexusdb.com )
--
JoeH [ www.amnesty.org : write a letter, save a life ]

Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
chrisC writes:

Also, note that changes to the license structure for IB 7.1 already
make it much cheaper than any previous version since at least 5.6, if
not earlier:

delphi.weblogs.com/stories/storyReader$236

-Craig

This is out of date. DB2 and Oracle have announced low end licenses. I
am not sure what DB2 is, but Oracle has a one processor only unlimited
for $5,995.
--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software

Thomas Miller writes:
This is out of date. DB2 and Oracle have announced low end licenses.
I am not sure what DB2 is, but Oracle has a one processor only
unlimited for $5,995.
Yes, I need to take into account the Oracle single processor license.
Oracle has named user licenses, as well, which are cheap but not
directly comparable to the other DBs in the comparison which use
concurrent user licenses. I do mention them in the article, though.
It would save me a lot of time in updating the comparison if you have
links. Thanks!
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
Everything You Need to Know About InterBase Character Sets:
delphi.weblogs.com/stories/storyReader$306

Re:Interbase 7.01 - To John Kaster

Hi Craig:
Thanks for the pointer. Maybe I didn't understand the versions.
I was looking for a single/multiple processor unlimited concurrent Internet
version pricing.
What was listed is what I presumed is a 'activation' costs ($100.00?) and
the other llisting was for a 10 concurrent user NT/Win2K server ($1200)?
Am I right? If not can you please clarify?
Chris
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. vertexsoftware.com]>
writes news:XXXX@XXXXX.COM...

www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/database/oracle9i/
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Thomas Miller writes:

>This is out of date. DB2 and Oracle have announced low end licenses.
>I am not sure what DB2 is, but Oracle has a one processor only
>unlimited for $5,995.

Yes, I need to take into account the Oracle single processor license.
Oracle has named user licenses, as well, which are cheap but not
directly comparable to the other DBs in the comparison which use
concurrent user licenses. I do mention them in the article, though.

It would save me a lot of time in updating the comparison if you have
links. Thanks!

-Craig

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re:Interbase 7.01 - To John Kaster

www-3.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/edition-express.html
www-3.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/db2express/pricing.html
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] writes:
Thomas Miller writes:

>This is out of date. DB2 and Oracle have announced low end licenses.
>I am not sure what DB2 is, but Oracle has a one processor only
>unlimited for $5,995.

Yes, I need to take into account the Oracle single processor license.
Oracle has named user licenses, as well, which are cheap but not
directly comparable to the other DBs in the comparison which use
concurrent user licenses. I do mention them in the article, though.

It would save me a lot of time in updating the comparison if you have
links. Thanks!

-Craig

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork
www.bss-software.com
sourceforge.net/projects/dbexpressplus

Re:Interbase 7.01 - To John Kaster

Tony Caduto writes:
Lets not forget Firebird here CRAIG I AM NOT ADVERTISING PLEASE DO
NOT DELETE MY MESSAGE!!!!!

ADVERTISING IS FOR COMMERCIAL PRODUCTS........
Advertising is advertising, whether it is for a commercial or
open-source product. However, unlike your ads in replies to technical
questions regarding InterBase in the IB groups, mentioning Firebird is
actually on-topic in this thread. The thread itself is off-topic (it
should have been in borland.public.conference), but that is not your
fault.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Editon users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

chrisC writes:
Thanks for the pointer. Maybe I didn't understand the versions.
I was looking for a single/multiple processor unlimited concurrent
Internet version pricing.
What was listed is what I presumed is a 'activation' costs ($100.00?)
and the other llisting was for a 10 concurrent user NT/Win2K server
($1200)?

Am I right? If not can you please clarify?
There is an unlimited user license available for IB for $3999. See
the article on my site which I referenced in the previous message for
details. However, it doesn't appear to be included in the list of
items for which there is a conference discount.
Followups set to borland.public.conference.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Editon users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Re:Interbase 7.01 - To John Kaster

Thomas Miller writes:
This is different from the concurrent user licensing model used by DB2
Workgroup Edition, MS SQL Server SE, and InterBase. Hence, I am not
sure it is accurate to directly compare these prices.
Do you disagree?
Followups set to borland.public.interbase.general, since my price
comparison page focuses on InterBase and this thread is off-topic here.

Thomas Miller writes:
www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/database/oracle9i/
Thanks; I updated the Oracle prices to reflect this. It doesn't
change which DB is cheapest, but it does make Oracle look much more
attractive for small installations.
Followups set.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
Please read and follow Borland's rules for the user of their
news server: info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re:Interbase 7.01 - To John Kaster

Leonel writes:
Yet the message has been canceled, as well his other message in reply
to a question about Firebird in another thread.
Not by me. I don't think Tony's message was any more off-topic than
Joe's, or, indeed, this entire thread.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase PLANalyzer 1.1 -- Free InterBase query optimization
tool: delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Re:Interbase 7.01 - To John Kaster

Lets not forget Firebird here CRAIG I AM NOT ADVERTISING PLEASE DO NOT
DELETE MY MESSAGE!!!!!
ADVERTISING IS FOR COMMERCIAL PRODUCTS........
While FB does not have the enhanced SMP support (yet) it does offer nifty
feature like CASE and COALESE
"JoeH" <JoeH_at_hqters.com>writes