Re: We need Grasshopper for Delphi!!

2005-08-20 11:23:26 PM
delphi154
Joseph Mele writes:
dev.mainsoft.com/Default.aspx

A bad ass locust if you ask me!
Hmm, interesting, but I wonder, if you need Java and the xplatform
capabilities of Java, why not just write it in Java?

Re: We need Grasshopper for Delphi!!

dev.mainsoft.com/Default.aspx
A bad ass locust if you ask me!

Re: We need Grasshopper for Delphi!!

Joseph Mele writes:
A bad ass locust if you ask me!
Interesting. I would heard this idea being discussed for a while. Cool
someone has implemented it. Thanks for the link.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re: We need Grasshopper for Delphi!!

Any similar plug in for Delphi in the offing?
Venkatesh

Venkatesh VT writes:
Any similar plug in for Delphi in the offing?
We're not working on this right now. We offer interop in different
ways, and it will be up at a higher level than this in the future.
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it is not here, it is not happening: ec.borland.com

Re: We need Grasshopper for Delphi!!

dev.mainsoft.com/Default.aspx
Maybe I don't quite understand what's going on here, but if this is an MSIL
to Java Bytecode compiler, then wouldn't it be able to convert the binaries
output by Delphi for .NET?
Is it just a matter of making an IDE plugin (or standalone binaries) to get
rid of the Visual Studio dependiences?
--Jacob

"Oliver Townshend" <oliveratzipdotcomdotau>writes:
>Would be cool to write in Delphi and make it produce JVM code.

But wouldn't you have to follow the Java object model? Its tied in with
everything you do. It would be like trying to write Delphi using Java
without having the VCL.

Oliver Townshend
No more difficult than writing a 100% compatible, MSIL, VCL.NET.
Some people forget that Java the platform has many other languages than Java
the language, that can be used to write to the underlying JVM bytecode
patterns (even Component Pascal). Of course, you have to follow the
bytecode patterns, much as you must do with the Intermediate language in
Net.
I agree with Rudy, however. I do not know how profitable it would be for
Borland to make a Delphi.Java. Might make a good Open Source project
though.
Overall, new platforms seem to center around a common language.

Re: We need Grasshopper for Delphi!!

What ever is being developed by Borland should be released soon since
otherwise Chrome will steal a big march over Delphi in Cross platform
applications
What product it will be
i.e
Delphi+ECO+ASP.NETt+MS Windows+Linux(with Kylix)+(May be MAC)
Venkatesh
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Any similar plug in for Delphi in the offing?

We're not working on this right now. We offer interop in different
ways, and it will be up at a higher level than this in the future.
not happening:

Venkatesh VT writes:
Delphi+ECO+ASP.NETt+MS Windows+Linux
It will be up at a level higher than this.
--

At 17:23:26, 20.08.2005, Paul Nichols (TeamB) writes:
Joseph Mele writes:

>dev.mainsoft.com/Default.aspx
>

>A bad ass locust if you ask me!

Hmm, interesting, but I wonder, if you need Java and the xplatform
capabilities of Java, why not just write it in Java?
Would be cool to write in Delphi and make it produce JVM code.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all the other

Re: We need Grasshopper for Delphi!!

Would be cool to write in Delphi and make it produce JVM code.
But wouldn't you have to follow the Java object model? Its tied in with
everything you do. It would be like trying to write Delphi using Java
without having the VCL.
Oliver Townshend

Re: We need Grasshopper for Delphi!!

Maybe I don't quite understand what's going on here, but if this is an
MSIL
to Java Bytecode compiler, then wouldn't it be able to convert the
binaries
output by Delphi for .NET?
I would guess that the limitation is legal rather than technical. They use
the mono assemblies for the .net framework, so that is how the supporting
libraries are workable. The Borland.*.dll have no similar open-source
assemblies, and it would probably be illegal to convert them into Java due
to copyright reasons.
--
Pete
====

Re: We need Grasshopper for Delphi!!

If you're implying a code generator that generates code for different
platforms from the same "source", then I think that is a great idea.
The big question is, "Is it affordable for the MicroISV?"
IANAE (I Am Not An Enterprise)
Harry

Just Wondering writes:
If you're implying a code generator that generates code for different
platforms from the same "source", then I think that is a great idea.
I'm talking about MDA. The CIM, PIM, PSM levels, and source code
generation.
Together 2006 already supports the proposed QVT standard as well.
See www.omg.org/mda/ for further information (for now).
Additional information on Together 2006 will be posted in September on
BDN.
--

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
Would be cool to write in Delphi and make it produce JVM code.
Why does that sound so familiar?